Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One for NickW (or any Capri lover ;)) - pics from Classics on the Common  (Read 2128 times)

aaronjb

I am fairly sure I remember that Nick has had more than his fair share of Capri's, so he'll probably appreciate how ridiculous this is (from Classics on the Common, Harpenden, yesterday):

Yup, that's a GM LS V8 sitting in a Capri engine bay. What I couldn't get over was how much space there is - servicing would be a breeze! You could practically climb in there with it..

I desperately wanted this. Desperately.

This was beautiful (an LR recreation, obviously, not an original)

I love this Beetle, although it sounded like it was significantly unhealthy as it left (clear misfire on one cylinder)

And this is .. presumably for anyone who has a death wish? V8 LS engine with Nitrous... in a bike. Loud, very loud.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile

Love the bike......the 'must have choice' for the terminally unhinged. :y

I imagine it handles with all the precision of a greased camel.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Those wanky Hitler air cooled engines never run well, the horrific ignition system and tendency for people to over carb them always create crap running unless on full throttle.

I did a Megajolt conversion on a type 4 a few years ago which helped enormously but, even then it was not perfect (but did not bog down and ran cooler than the standard so would clearly be pushing more ponies). The other issue is the VW community seem incapable of recognising and addressing the basic issues, the ridicule we got for going to a modern system over the dizzy was amazing and don't even mention the horrors of the Type 1!

But that LS is wasted in the horrors of the Capri chassis!  :'(

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile

From what I remember of them the Capri was always a tail happy motor,what it'll be like with the LS up front I don't know!! Love the bike it's insane :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile

I found their natural tendency was towards terminal understeer. Maybe I was driving them wrong.  ???
The bike would be fun...................................at Santa Pod. Useless anywhere else.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2017, 20:40:19 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

I found their natural tendency was towards terminal understeer. Maybe I was driving them wrong.  ???
The bike would be fun...................................at Santa Pod. Useless anywhere else.

The key to a Capri is to get it settled into the bend EARLY, and then drive it hard through the rest resisting all temptations to lift off or tighten the turn. Remember that and they'll surprise a lot of 'better' cars.

The fault is that the rear springs twist and allow the body to move over them.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

I saw a yellow MKII Capri the other morning  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

The key to a Capri is to get it settled into the bend EARLY, and then drive it hard through the rest resisting all temptations to lift off or tighten the turn. Remember that and they'll surprise a lot of 'better' cars.

I've driven a 3.0 tickford Capri which had a jag type rear end with driveshafts,it  handled very well especially as it was turbo'ed
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

I had one for 3 years and thought it was shite in every possible way. Its predecessor  was a Chevette HS though, so it had a lot to live up to.  :D

Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

I've driven a 3.0 tickford Capri which had a jag type rear end with driveshafts,it  handled very well especially as it was turbo'ed

Errrr, Tickfords were 2.8Injections with a turbo. They still had stock Capri live axles fitted with crude but effective  extra axle location. That is a bar clamped to the axle near the diff, and to the leaf spring between the axle and the front spring bolt. It looks terrible, but makes the rear end a lot more predictable without drastically increasing the spring rates, which a Capri categorically does not need. They're dirt cheap to make too.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

Bloke across the road has an RS 3.1 Capri, as well as a Mk1 Lotus Cortina and a Reliant Scimitar. He obviously likes Ford engines.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Errrr, Tickfords were 2.8Injections with a turbo. They still had stock Capri live axles fitted with crude but effective  extra axle location. That is a bar clamped to the axle near the diff, and to the leaf spring between the axle and the front spring bolt. It looks terrible, but makes the rear end a lot more predictable without drastically increasing the spring rates, which a Capri categorically does not need. They're dirt cheap to make too.

Nope.the one I drove was a 3.0 with single turbo

Edit I just checked and they were all 2.8's,dunno what this was then but it was deffo 3.o turbo
« Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 09:05:53 by henryd »
other rides 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

What did the Zakspeed cars use?
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Done a bit of digging and the Capri I drove was a Rockford and was automatic,it was a one off and made for a disabled client originally fitted with hand controls which have since been removed.now resides with a Cheshire ford owners group from what I can gather
other rides 

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Done a bit of digging and the Capri I drove was a Rockford and was automatic,it was a one off and made for a disabled client originally fitted with hand controls which have since been removed.now resides with a Cheshire ford owners group from what I can gather

Tickford not bloody rockford :-[
other rides 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.