Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Estate rear shock lower mount  (Read 4055 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Estate rear shock lower mount
« on: 31 July 2017, 18:23:26 »

I removed the o/s rear shock from its lower mounting hoping it would simplify removing the drive shaft; it did not. I hav now changed the dodgy diff, but cannot replace the rear shock on its lower mount. Please help.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Estate rear shock lower mount
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2017, 18:27:13 »

I would say that unless you can persuade the sleeve back into the bush as it is you will need to remove the shock completely and then with a little soap and a vice press it back in

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2017, 18:47:27 »

Yep, I would have thought a little lube and a rubber mallet should persuade it. If not, wot he said ^
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

annihilator

• Wirral
    • 2 Jags XKR/JR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 19:08:12 »

that mount/sleeve is part of the rear shock so you either need to free it off and refit it in a vice or you could try filling a cup with boiling hot water and submerging the shock bush in it and then try slipping it back onto the sleeve maybe with a g clamp.
John.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2017, 19:09:09 »

I suppose what I need is a longer screw to pull it on. The one I removed is 85mm long, 13.64mm thread diameter and about 0.63 threads per mm.I cannot find one in my box of screws, but it must be available.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2017, 19:30:30 »

I suppose what I need is a longer screw to pull it on. The one I removed is 85mm long, 13.64mm thread diameter and about 0.63 threads per mm.I cannot find one in my box of screws, but it must be available.

No, you need to align the shock with the mount.
That will probably need another pair of hands.
Some sort of lubricant on the bush would be a good idea.

Your bolt sounds like M14, but you haven't measured the thread pitch correctly.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2017, 19:51:43 »

Standard M14 (ISO) is 2mm pitch. Easiest way to measure pitch is to count how many over certain length then divide number of threads by the length you used. I,ts easier for me to do it than it is to explain to someone else. HTH

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2017, 20:07:19 »

That metal bush isn't designed to be removed from the shock.

Smack ten bells out of the bush to liberate it from the trailing arm and either attempt to refit it using one of the above suggestions or, better still replace the pair. :y

At least you know not to disturb them next time ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2017, 20:51:00 »

Here is the bolt. Imake it 13.64mm diameter, 35 pitches in 55mm, 1.57mm pitch, length of thread start to head is 79mm, not quite long enough to pull the bush on. 5 more millimetres and I should not have a problem.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2017, 22:20:47 »

Standard M14 (ISO) is 2mm pitch. Easiest way to measure pitch is to count how many over certain length then divide number of threads by the length you used. I,ts easier for me to do it than it is to explain to someone else. HTH

You've got a bloody odd idea of easy, you must be used to imperial threads!
Metric thread pitches are defined by the distance between two adjacent crests(or roots), so the easiest way to determine what you have is to measure that distance - no counting, dividing or even thought required. This is best done with a caliper, but in the coarse pitches we're talking about here, a decent steel rule will suffice. The later post suggests that it's an M14x1.5 thread which makes it a non-preferred metric-fine bolt.

But this is all a distraction from Terry's real problem, which is that he's trying to assemble a separated bush. What he needs to do is remove the sleeve from the shock mount, and refit it into the bush. Then with some simple jiggling of the mount and shock he'll be able to assemble the parts without any extra faffing about.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2017, 22:48:48 »

Now I get the impression that the tube attached to the suspension arm is part of the shock absorber bush, the tube is stuck on a short peg on the suspension arm. What I need to do is release the tube from the suspension arm (hammer, stillson wrench, heat) shove it back in the middle of the bush (lubricant, vice) and put it back on the suspension arm peg, with the screw I already have.

Have I got it right now? I have a vague memory of removing one before and it came off the peg easily.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2017, 23:00:44 »

Now I get the impression that the tube attached to the suspension arm is part of the shock absorber bush, the tube is stuck on a short peg on the suspension arm. What I need to do is release the tube from the suspension arm (hammer, stillson wrench, heat) shove it back in the middle of the bush (lubricant, vice) and put it back on the suspension arm peg, with the screw I already have.

Have I got it right now? I have a vague memory of removing one before and it came off the peg easily.
Almost right - but there is no peg involved. The bush is a snug fit in a hole in the semi trailing arm.
You shouldn't need extreme violence. A 14mm bar slipped inside the bush should allow you to wiggle the bush up, down , back and forward until it falls out. Penetrating oil will make it easier.....
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2017, 23:15:33 »

The rubber bush shouldn't be removed from the tube. Sure sign that the rubber bush has failed.

The tube, or 'peg' needs liberating from the trailing arm... A long screwdriver or suitable piece of studding should should provide enough leverage to jiggle it free...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2017, 09:57:42 »

No, that would probably ruin the internals of the damper. ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2017, 11:43:57 »

No, that would probably ruin the internals of the damper. ;)

Said tube isn't currently attached to the damper .. which is the problem that heat may remedy ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.