Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Estate rear shock lower mount  (Read 4045 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Estate rear shock lower mount
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2017, 15:36:43 »

Thanks to all for advice. I have now got the tube of the suspension member, I'm learning all the time. It seems reluctant to re-enter the rubber bush though, needs force and lubricant.
Last evening I had  bit of a barney with the jack and bits of wood. Can you spot anything out of order here?
[/img]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2017, 15:38:14 »

I had this on the 3.0 Estate, damn shock was came off leaving same problem you had in your photo

Solved it with the 'Birmingham screwdriver' approach  :D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2017, 15:39:28 »

Here's the pic

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2017, 16:24:41 »

Pop goes the block ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2017, 17:16:11 »

Here's the pic

Just as a bit of reassurance whilst you are heaving at the shock lower sleeve - I must say your car looks quite clean and tidy / rust free underneath...... :y

Personally, for the effort it takes, I would remove the shock and replace the sleeve in the bush on the bench. The angle of the shock whilst in position on the car will make it a bit more awkward.
The fact that the sleeve has come away from the bush will, in my opinion not adversely be a problem as the sleeve is clamped tight when bolted up, and if the sleeve is a tight fit to get back in the bush, then you should be ok.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2017, 18:58:04 »

Is that track rod bent?
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2017, 19:46:53 »

Is that track rod bent?

Looks a bit of a "curve" to me   as well ... :(  from the marks on the lower suspension arm I'll guess it was jacked on a block of wood there that slipped "up and round" and hit the track rod ... but at least no-one was under the car .... I hope ???
« Last Edit: 01 August 2017, 19:49:19 by Entwood »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2017, 21:31:30 »

Quite right, track control rod bent. try to protect  the ironmongery with blocks of wood on the jack, then they get in th wrong palce and jammed between fragile bits. Bother. Spent today preparing and fitting a spare track control rod. They tend to rust solid and need heat to free them.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2017, 21:41:23 »

Here's the pic

Just as a bit of reassurance whilst you are heaving at the shock lower sleeve - I must say your car looks quite clean and tidy / rust free underneath...... :y

Personally, for the effort it takes, I would remove the shock and replace the sleeve in the bush on the bench. The angle of the shock whilst in position on the car will make it a bit more awkward.
The fact that the sleeve has come away from the bush will, in my opinion not adversely be a problem as the sleeve is clamped tight when bolted up, and if the sleeve is a tight fit to get back in the bush, then you should be ok.
Coming to the same conclusion myself. I have never removed a rear shock on an Omega estate, but it looks like - peel back carpets, find the upper mounting, undo the bolt and extract shock downwards. Sound right?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2017, 21:53:59 »

Quite right, track control rod bent. try to protect  the ironmongery with blocks of wood on the jack, then they get in the wrong place and jammed between fragile bits. Bother. Spent today preparing and fitting a spare track control rod. They tend to rust solid and need heat to free them.

Adding wooden blocks between the car and a trolley jack is just asking for trouble.

Make yourself one of these that fits into the cup of the jack:

That's a scrap piece of decking made 'round' on the belt sander with a bit of sheet rubber glued to it. If you have some hardwood, then it will last longer.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2017, 22:29:54 »

Quite right, track control rod bent. try to protect  the ironmongery with blocks of wood on the jack, then they get in the wrong place and jammed between fragile bits. Bother. Spent today preparing and fitting a spare track control rod. They tend to rust solid and need heat to free them.

Adding wooden blocks between the car and a trolley jack is just asking for trouble.

Make yourself one of these that fits into the cup of the jack:

That's a scrap piece of decking made 'round' on the belt sander with a bit of sheet rubber glued to it. If you have some hardwood, then it will last longer.
Thanks Nick, you're quite right as I have recently demonstrated. I shall make one of you wooden discs, such an obvious solution.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2017, 22:31:24 »

Here's the pic

Coming to the same conclusion myself. I have never removed a rear shock on an Omega estate, but it looks like - peel back carpets, find the upper mounting, undo the bolt and extract shock downwards. Sound right?

Yes, there's a little more to remove to take estate shocks off an estate - whereas the saloon is basically removing the rubber domed cover in the boot, on the estate you have to take out the boot carpet by undoing the umpteen plastic retaining clips, and then you will find a couple of metal covers held on by self tappers. They have remains of sealant round them, so they just need easing up with a broad screwdriver or small pry bar to release. You will then see the top of the shock, which you remove from the car as you would a saloon, and although access is slightly more restricted, it certainly is an easy job to do.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2017, 10:06:59 »

Is the drop-link meant to be banana-shaped, too?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2017, 11:15:16 »

Is the drop-link meant to be banana-shaped, too?

Yes.
It goes around the tiebar.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2017, 12:30:49 »

that mount/sleeve is part of the rear shock so you either need to free it off and refit it in a vice or you could try filling a cup with boiling hot water and submerging the shock bush in it and then try slipping it back onto the sleeve maybe with a g clamp.
John.
[/quoteExcellent suggestion, John. I immersed  bush and bottom of shock in a mug of hot water, then applied G clamp and the bush popped in sweet as a nut. No need to remove shock from car after all. Reassembled car, and took for test drive. All is well. Thanks to all for good advice.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.