Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Estate rear shock lower mount  (Read 4039 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Estate rear shock lower mount
« Reply #30 on: 02 August 2017, 12:33:00 »

Pic follows

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 August 2017, 14:00:39 »

I know you have access to a pit, for which I am truly jealous, but all your pictures show the car up on a jack with no sign of an axle stand anywhere .....  :( and you are obviously "under" the car to take the pictures..... and we now know you had a problem with the car moving on your blocks of wood ....

I have lost a friend to a car falling off a jack onto him, and my brother, when a copper, had to attend at least two fatalities due to the same occurrence.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not work on a car supported only by a jack, it can only lead to trouble ... :(

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 August 2017, 14:57:50 »

I know you have access to a pit, for which I am truly jealous, but all your pictures show the car up on a jack with no sign of an axle stand anywhere .....  :( and you are obviously "under" the car to take the pictures..... and we now know you had a problem with the car moving on your blocks of wood ....

I have lost a friend to a car falling off a jack onto him, and my brother, when a copper, had to attend at least two fatalities due to the same occurrence.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not work on a car supported only by a jack, it can only lead to trouble ... :(
Point taken. On this particular job I was jacking at the only obvious point for a jack. If doing any work under the car I also put an axle stand beneath the rear suspension, but for photographs I saw no point, as I was never under the car, but in the pit behind the car.

I have seen AA men working on cars supported only by trolley jacks, and commented, only to be told that 'it's a self locking jack, so OK'. Axle stands too can be hazardous, a car on only 4 axle stands is lethal. Wheels are best, I did most of this job with four wheels on the car.

In my first works safety course the instructor said 'You are your own safety officer. Always imagine what might go wrong, and make sure if it does it does not injure you'. I hope I still do that.

John Cleese was discussing on the radio how people worry too much. He commented 'get into a car driven by a man who never worries, you will soon appreciate your mistake'.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 August 2017, 16:35:27 »

If I have a wheel off this also goes under the car with all the other precautions.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 August 2017, 16:37:42 »

That jack wheel looks very close to the edge of the pit.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 05 August 2017, 22:13:12 »

Quite right, track control rod bent. try to protect  the ironmongery with blocks of wood on the jack, then they get in the wrong place and jammed between fragile bits. Bother. Spent today preparing and fitting a spare track control rod. They tend to rust solid and need heat to free them.

Adding wooden blocks between the car and a trolley jack is just asking for trouble.

Make yourself one of these that fits into the cup of the jack:

That's a scrap piece of decking made 'round' on the belt sander with a bit of sheet rubber glued to it. If you have some hardwood, then it will last longer.
Quite right, track control rod bent. try to protect  the ironmongery with blocks of wood on the jack, then they get in the wrong place and jammed between fragile bits. Bother. Spent today preparing and fitting a spare track control rod. They tend to rust solid and need heat to free them.

Adding wooden blocks between the car and a trolley jack is just asking for trouble.

Make yourself one of these that fits into the cup of the jack:

That's a scrap piece of decking made 'round' on the belt sander with a bit of sheet rubber glued to it. If you have some hardwood, then it will last longer.
Thanks again gentlemen, I have learned a lot on this exercise. I shall bend no more tie rods with ill placed scraps of wood; here is my first jack saddle pad.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.