Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging Leisure Batteries on the move II  (Read 13909 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Leisure Batteries on the move II
« Reply #105 on: 09 August 2017, 08:56:14 »

So apart from turning up at the destination with warm beer, how will you know if the eco systems have been disabled when you hook up the caravan?  :-\

if both batteries are charged, why would you care? After all, fiddling with the alternatorcharging rates 'to improve emissions' will give such small improvements that don't justify the cleverness required to implement them.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 09 August 2017, 09:15:35 »

Just had an informative conversation with Witter Towbars.

The tech guy said the car should have been re-programmed to know that it is towing a caravan.

When I start the car and put my foot on the brake, the eco systems will be cancelled, and the car will operate normally, controlling the fridge relay and charging of the leisure battery.

If it doesn't, then I'm to go back to them as the car will not have been re-programmed correctly.

Thank goodness I used one of their approved fitters.

So apart from turning up at the destination with warm beer, how will you know if the eco systems have been disabled when you hook up the caravan?  :-\

:-\

I suppose I could buy one of these :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEOK-Digital-Voltmeter-Generator-Cigarette/dp/B00GX5VMTY/ref=sr_1_16/258-6395587-9795351?ie=UTF8&qid=1502266152&sr=8-16&keywords=lighter+voltmeter
I like red cars

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 09 August 2017, 09:47:58 »

How long is the drive from home to campsite AA?
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 09 August 2017, 09:50:24 »

How long is the drive from home to campsite AA?

Normally go distances between 2/4 hours drive, depending how long we've booked to stay.
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 09 August 2017, 10:18:22 »

The tech guy said the car should have been re-programmed to know that it is towing a caravan.

When I start the car and put my foot on the brake, the eco systems will be cancelled, and the car will operate normally, controlling the fridge relay and charging of the leisure battery.

If it doesn't, then I'm to go back to them as the car will not have been re-programmed correctly.

Thinking about what Witter said, the stop/start eco system should be disabled :)
I like red cars

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 09 August 2017, 14:38:09 »

:-\

I suppose I could buy one of these :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEOK-Digital-Voltmeter-Generator-Cigarette/dp/B00GX5VMTY/ref=sr_1_16/258-6395587-9795351?ie=UTF8&qid=1502266152&sr=8-16&keywords=lighter+voltmeter

I'm afraid that those plug-in voltmeters are not very accurate; I have had a few of them and not one agrees with another!

Ron.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 09 August 2017, 17:32:00 »

Thinking about what Witter said, the stop/start eco system should be disabled :)

That's true  :y

There might even be a little light on the dash that shows up  :-\ .....Ive seen a green light of a towbar before on some cars.
Have a butchers in the handbook  :)

About 15-20 years when my Dad had a caravan I can remember there was a buzzer fitted in the boot that you could hear in cabin that went off when he used the indicators...to let him know the indicator lights on the caravan were working....im sure things have progressed since then  :)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 09 August 2017, 18:35:00 »

That's true  :y

There might even be a little light on the dash that shows up  :-\ .....Ive seen a green light of a towbar before on some cars.
Have a butchers in the handbook  :)

About 15-20 years when my Dad had a caravan I can remember there was a buzzer fitted in the boot that you could hear in cabin that went off when he used the indicators...to let him know the indicator lights on the caravan were working....im sure things have progressed since then  :)

No such thing on the Merc Dave :(
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 09 August 2017, 21:23:33 »

No such thing on the Merc Dave :(

Thank Christ ...... buzzers are only fitted by tow bar fitters for ease. My Merc flashes rapidly when a trailer/caravan indicator fails ..... just like when one fails on any other car. Try it  ;)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 10 August 2017, 07:47:44 »

Did a rough test last night, after it stopped raining.

Plugged the 'van into the car, started the engine and ran it for about 20mins., stationery.

Car, 'van & fridge all getting a full charge output from the alternator.

Not a proper test I know, proof will be in towing it for an hour or two.

I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 04 September 2017, 10:12:28 »

Seems Witter are correct, first tow with the Merc, fridge still cold and leisure battery fully charged after a 4 hour journey, with a couple of 15 min stops :y
I like red cars
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.