Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scary stuff  (Read 1122 times)

STEMO

Scary stuff
« on: 13 August 2017, 21:33:12 »

If you didn't catch it, I recommend watching 'Secrets of Silicon Valley' on BBC iplayer. Some bullshit but still an eye-opener.
No doubt it will be rubbished by the usual suspects, but take from it what you will. I found part one to be most interesting, part two was nothing I didn't already know.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: Scary stuff
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2017, 20:44:55 »

I think I saw a chunk of it. If it was the same programme it was interesting how one person put Trumps election victory almost totally down to Facebook, even more interesting was exactly how. A fairly similar story applies to Corbyn.

I know that many poo poo Facebook etc can't be arsed, load of whatever etc blah blah, and of course the Tories did. But it matters and can be used to enormous advantage. Mrs May and others, ignore it at their peril.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2017, 21:16:18 »

I think I saw a chunk of it. If it was the same programme it was interesting how one person put Trumps election victory almost totally down to Facebook, even more interesting was exactly how. A fairly similar story applies to Corbyn.

I know that many poo poo Facebook etc can't be arsed, load of whatever etc blah blah, and of course the Tories did. But it matters and can be used to enormous advantage. Mrs May and others, ignore it at their peril.

Facebook, Twitter and Bot websites are all powerful tools for setting herd mentality opinions. :( They can be and are used by foreign agents as well political parties. These methods have been refined and used since to an extent since the invention of newspapers, radio and TV but the cost, reach, speed and effectiveness have all improved with the Internet. ???
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2017, 21:21:51 »

That was episode 2 and, as I said, came as no surprise. Episode one was more interesting, I thought

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0916ghz
« Last Edit: 14 August 2017, 21:23:31 by STEMO »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2017, 21:23:03 »

Yes, I have seen it, and like you I found the findings somewhat disturbing.

On a similar note (and again I expect to be flamed mercilessly) I suspect had Mr Murdoch been pro remain, last year's referendum result may well have been somewhat different. And that statement owes nothing to my opinion of the result.

The level of tacit power concentrated in a few individuals/organisations is rather disturbing. The real difference over the past decade or so is the small window into or psyche that most of us spend much of our waking hrs attached to.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 22:11:53 »

Yes, I have seen it, and like you I found the findings somewhat disturbing.

On a similar note (and again I expect to be flamed mercilessly) I suspect had Mr Murdoch been pro remain, last year's referendum result may well have been somewhat different. And that statement owes nothing to my opinion of the result.

The level of tacit power concentrated in a few individuals/organisations is rather disturbing. The real difference over the past decade or so is the small window into or psyche that most of us spend much of our waking hrs attached to.

One of the big differences and claimed by the Leave campaign to be the biggest deciding factor was their extensive use of social media as a very cheap way to run an advertising campaign and the use of Cambridge Analytica with their big data analysis to direct the campaign and to physiologically profile messages.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2017, 22:02:24 »

I liked the bit where one geek disruptor , very rich to boot, said we could give all the people made  ???unemployed by this new technology, a wage for doing nothing. Like that would ever happen!

I thought Apples new one mile circular HQ was impressive. I bought thatfor them. ???
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2017, 08:47:51 »

I one part a week or so ago, when it was on normal telly (BBC4 maybe?), but not the other.

Found it a bit trashy for a decent BBC documentary, but thats no longer uncommon :(
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.