Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: one for the Lycra mob  (Read 11403 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: one for the Lycra mob
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2017, 10:21:45 »

When working in london I was hit by a cyclist on two occasions while crossing the road, both times on a "green man". On both occasions the cyclist came off far worse than I did, given I weighed a considerable amount more than the cyclist and bike combined. On both occasions, the cyclists were very "cross" with me about the incident and verbally expressed their displeasure.  ???

Presumably because I had dared to be taking up space on their road.  :-X

As to the matter in hand, I hope the little sh!t does a nice long stretch. Cyclists want to be treated as equals on the road, he needs to be dealt with as harshly as a car driver who had killed someone after removing the front brakes from their car.  ::)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2017, 10:23:48 »

Tbh he exhibits the same mindset of many a road user who has killed someone through their own stupidity/mistakes but cannot, for reasons of a lack of a moral compass, accept the responsibility.  Take away the bike and you have the exact same f&cktard mentality you see with a motorist who kills a cyclist/pedestrian.  The only difference here is that if he was a motorist he would stand a good chance of getting away with it or at most a slap on the wrists.  Because he is a cyclist he stands a greater chance of getting the book thrown at him.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2017, 11:02:28 »

Tbh he exhibits the same mindset of many a road user who has killed someone through their own stupidity/mistakes but cannot, for reasons of a lack of a moral compass, accept the responsibility.  Take away the bike and you have the exact same f&cktard mentality you see with a motorist who kills a cyclist/pedestrian.  The only difference here is that if he was a motorist he would stand a good chance of getting away with it or at most a slap on the wrists.  Because he is a cyclist he stands a greater chance of getting the book thrown at him.

A tad disingenuous IMHO .. he will get the book thrown at him, and quite rightly so, because he rode a bike intended purely for track use (no front brakes) at speed in a busy street, displaying total disregard for

1) The Law
2) Pedestrians
3) Other road users (he could easily have caused a car accident)

If I drove a track car, on slicks, at speed through a town and killed someone, I would also expect to have the book thrown at me.

The fact they have charged him with manslaughter is both unusual and excellent news, this charge should be used for many, many, more vehicle related deaths.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2017, 11:06:53 »

The fact they have charged him with manslaughter is both unusual and excellent news, this charge should be used for many, many, more vehicle related deaths.

I agree, but in this case, perhaps charged with MS due to a lack of a suitable alternative charge? Ie does causing death by dangerous driving translate across to a pushbike?  :-\

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2017, 11:25:37 »

I agree, but in this case, perhaps charged with MS due to a lack of a suitable alternative charge? Ie does causing death by dangerous driving translate across to a pushbike?  :-\

Correct. 'Driving' does not apply to a push-bike under the RTA. Section 7 of the RTA does have an offence of "Dangerous Cycling" (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/section/7), but there is no "Causing Death by Dangerous Cycling" equivalent to the Section 1 offence of "Causing Death by dangerous Driving" (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1991/40/section/1).

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 11:28:58 »

What an arrogant little sh*t he sounds like , sadly even if he is found guilty he won't go down for any length of time  >:(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2017, 11:32:39 »

There are many cases of motorists who through lack of attention or deliberate dangerous driving where the driver gets away with a paltry fine and points despite killing or seriously injuring a cyclist of pedestrian.  It is very rare for a cyclist to kill someone else on the road but because it is a member of the lycra mob everyone bayes for blood whereas if a cyclist gets killed the majority of people are apathetic or even, in some cases, believe that the cyclist deserved to be killed.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2017, 12:14:44 »

Jeez. I've read some shite in my time, but that takes the biscuit. Talk about being blinkered.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2017, 12:16:38 »

Jeez. I've read some shite in my time, but that takes the biscuit. Talk about being blinkered.

You been looking in the mirror again?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 August 2017, 12:47:37 »

I think you are on your own with this one Guffer as the lad was riding a track bike and the lack of front brake was a major contributing factor.

The question has to be asked "why did she step out in the road?"

Was she at a proper crossing point and if so was it ok for her to cross?

Also he claims she was on the phone, if this is true then this should be a wake up call to all pedestrians as they never pay attention while they are on the phone, a reason why mobile phone use is banned on all major building contracts.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 August 2017, 13:37:03 »

Did I ever say that this chap did no wrong?  Nope.  He's a (quote myself) "f#cktard". 

My beef is that evidence suggests that he will likely be dealt with much more harshly than a driver of a motorised vehicle who had killed a pedestrian or a cyclist.  Have a look at the numerous examples that are reported and you will find that statistically if you kill or seriously injure somebody your sentence is much larger than those given to motorists in similar circumstances.

I hope he is strung up by the ballcocks and flogged with a rattlesnake.  I just wish that motorists who did the same would be treated the same by the justice system and the public.  Alas, it is not the case.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 August 2017, 13:58:41 »

Then perhaps a change in the law is required... to either introduce an offence of 'Causing death by dangerous cycling' or to change 'Causing death by dangerous driving' to 'Manslaughter' :-\

I suspect that the dangerous cycling offence would begin a slippery slope to insurance and registration.

Also, whilst the manslaughter charge may seem harsh, the severity, and relative unlikelihood of killing someone with a bicycle, perhaps warrants a more severe charge that merely dangerous driving/riding.

I suspect the actual punishment will match the motoring offence, but it should help reiterate the fact that with freedom comes responsibility.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 August 2017, 14:17:34 »

Then perhaps a change in the law is required... to either introduce an offence of 'Causing death by dangerous cycling' or to change 'Causing death by dangerous driving' to 'Manslaughter' :-\

I suspect that the dangerous cycling offence would begin a slippery slope to insurance and registration.

Also, whilst the manslaughter charge may seem harsh, the severity, and relative unlikelihood of killing someone with a bicycle, perhaps warrants a more severe charge that merely dangerous driving/riding.

I suspect the actual punishment will match the motoring offence, but it should help reiterate the fact that with freedom comes responsibility.

Historically the offence of "Causing death by dangerous driving" was preceded by the offence of "Manslaughter". However, juries were not convicting offenders as, to some, they were thinking ... "that could have been me", so the "lesser" (???) charge of"Death by Dangerous" was introduced as a way to try to ensure more juries would convict......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 August 2017, 14:23:44 »

Ok, so there is precedent then to enter a new charge of Causing Death by Dangerous Cycling...

I suspect that had he been riding either a racing motorbike or racing car that a Manslaughter charge would have been appropriate, whilst enabling the option to enter a plea of guilty of CDbDD to counter the Ms charge.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.