Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: one for the Lycra mob  (Read 11310 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: one for the Lycra mob
« Reply #45 on: 24 August 2017, 19:16:37 »

Right now the long and short of it all is this; if I perform an illegal act while cycling and someone ends up KSI, I am rightly going to jail.  If I do the same while driving a car and kill a cyclist, I get a slap on the wrist.  I may even get to claim hardship and keep my license.

I think it is hard to compare the instances as you don`t know the trend for the accidents.

Are the cyclists ignoring crossings and such and hitting pedestrians? If this is the general cause of the accident then no wonder it`s over 50% chance for a custodial sentence.

I wouldn`t think that many cyclists are killed by motorists ignoring crossings, more likely to be through a lack of concentration or not leaving enough room while overtaking.

It would need a lot of information to be collected from a large percentage of the accidents before you can form the opinion that cyclists are getting a raw deal from the courts.

You have a strong point here, Mr. Gav; I believe this reinforces the case for registration and insurance, because no insurance company would pay out for "accidents" resulting from an illegal act, thus adding riding whilst ubinsured to the charges.

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 August 2017, 19:21:44 »

Right now the long and short of it all is this; if I perform an illegal act while cycling and someone ends up KSI, I am rightly going to jail.  If I do the same while driving a car and kill a cyclist, I get a slap on the wrist.  I may even get to claim hardship and keep my license.

I think it is hard to compare the instances as you don`t know the trend for the accidents.

Are the cyclists ignoring crossings and such and hitting pedestrians? If this is the general cause of the accident then no wonder it`s over 50% chance for a custodial sentence.

I wouldn`t think that many cyclists are killed by motorists ignoring crossings, more likely to be through a lack of concentration or not leaving enough room while overtaking.

It would need a lot of information to be collected from a large percentage of the accidents before you can form the opinion that cyclists are getting a raw deal from the courts.

You have a strong point here, Mr. Gav; I believe this reinforces the case for registration and insurance, because no insurance company would pay out for "accidents" resulting from an illegal act, thus adding riding whilst ubinsured to the charges.

Ron.

In the words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 August 2017, 20:28:25 »

Regardless of blame part of his defence was apparently that no one told him that using a bike with no front brake was a no-no.Surely this comes under "ignorance is no defence"and it was up to him to find out?For him to show no remorse is unforgiveable,as he was at least in part to blame.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 August 2017, 21:51:44 »

Ron.
That's not how motor insurance works, and compulsory cyclist insurance would have to be the same. The insurance co MUST by law pay out to a third party regardless of the state of the driver. However, if it is deemed that the driver was doing something that would invalidate the insurance, then the insurance co sues the driver to recover their money. There would be no "riding whilst uninsured" charge providing the rider had actually paid the premium.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 August 2017, 22:07:54 »

I am a regular cyclist myself, and commute about 40 Miles each day, so I do about 8,000 miles a year as I commute all year, winter, summer rain or shine (My Omega does the remaining 1,000 miles for the year, when its dry of course :y - other mileage goes on the Wifes VW  ;D)

I have therefore seen all sorts on the road in my several years now of commuting and I recon 50,000 miles covered :D !  Unfortunately, the poor actions of some give those of us who do care a bad name.

Clearly, respect must be given by all users of the road, and as both a Motorist and Cyclist I would like to think I give the respect and courtesy to both Cyclists and Road users as I sit on both seats (literally !).  Its everybody's responsibility, I would have hoped, to ensure whatever mode of transport they have (Bike or Car) is clearly functional, roadworthy and not a danger to others for clear reasons. 

As a cyclist, I am ashamed of the actions of the knob cyclist who from what I understand has expressed no remorse or bothered to ensure his bike had brakes !  His time in prison may cause him to rethink (but I sadly doubt it).  Hopefully, his new 'Inmate Friends' may show him the error of his ways - He may even get saddle sore from the experience :o

My thoughts are with the family who has lost their Mother and Wife.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 August 2017, 22:11:20 »

Ron.
That's not how motor insurance works, and compulsory cyclist insurance would have to be the same. The insurance co MUST by law pay out to a third party regardless of the state of the driver. However, if it is deemed that the driver was doing something that would invalidate the insurance, then the insurance co sues the driver to recover their money. There would be no "riding whilst uninsured" charge providing the rider had actually paid the premium.

I would be more than happy for the Car Insurance I pay to also cover me for my Bike use on the road as well, given if I aint in the car I am on the bike so car in the garage not on the Road !

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 August 2017, 22:34:24 »

Thanks, LCO112G, for that clarification; I wasn't aware of what you stated and appreciate the correction.
However, even the way you explain the insurance law would concentrate the mind if the offenders had to cough up from their own resources!

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 August 2017, 23:27:20 »

I would have been hit 4 times in the last year if I had crossed the road on a crossing with the lights red for motorists and green for me to cross. One of the crossings in Sandhurst is often used by children and parents with prams and toddlers where there is a children's play area. One one occasion a motorcyclist changed down a couple of gears overtook several cars on the approaching zig-zag area, the pedestrian light was green as he went through at speed on the other occasion a motorist was too busy talking to their passenger to notice the crossing lights were red for him! :( :( :(

The other two occasions are on a very dangerous crossing at the Tesco Meadows main roundabout in Blackwater. The speed limit on the roundabout is 30mph and on the crossing but it changes to 60mph about 30m after the crossing. It is normal for cars coming from Farnborough on the dual carriageway to be speeding at 40-60mph (and occasionally some faster) as they accelerate from the traffic lights or don't slow down for the 30mph section. On the second occasion, it was particularly nasty as a lorry that had correctly stopped blocked my sight line to see any approaching traffic in the outside lane and two cars at speed (est 60-80mph) failed to stop. I always now wait for vehicles to stop before using this crossing, but it is only a matter of time before somebody doesn't and is hurt or killed here. :( :( :(

It is actually interesting the only crossing on the Sandhurst bypass where the speed limit is 60mph there is a split pedestrian/cyclist (there is a difference as the green light shows a cycle symbol as well as a pedestrian one and cyclists don't need to dismount when crossing) and to-date I've never had a motorist fail to stop here. :) :) :)

One thing I would like to see much more vigorously inforced is cyclists illegally cycling on pavements. This is a big problem in Sandhurst as there are dual use and pedestrian only sections. The pedestrian only sections are far too narrow for cyclists to be using with some of the f*ckwits just barging their way through, but they do get words from me! >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 25 August 2017, 09:59:23 »

One thing I would like to see much more vigorously inforced is cyclists illegally cycling on pavements. This is a big problem in Sandhurst as there are dual use and pedestrian only sections. The pedestrian only sections are far too narrow for cyclists to be using with some of the f*ckwits just barging their way through, but they do get words from me! >:( >:( >:(

I'm with you on that.  I dont give them a mouthful though, I drop my shoulder.......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 25 August 2017, 13:34:52 »

A few years back, I was in Boscombe, in the pedestrianised area (cycling forbidden) and this young tearaway was giving it large on his mountain bike (I never saw any mountains anywhere in Boscombe) and ripping through the area, not respecting the elderly or children. He happened to stop and leave his bike near a cheap shop, so I popped in and bought a padlock for £1 and attached it to his chainwheel, thereby immobilising his bike.
That'll lern 'im!  ;D 8)

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 25 August 2017, 13:44:52 »

A few years back, I was in Boscombe, in the pedestrianised area (cycling forbidden) and this young tearaway was giving it large on his mountain bike (I never saw any mountains anywhere in Boscombe) and ripping through the area, not respecting the elderly or children. He happened to stop and leave his bike near a cheap shop, so I popped in and bought a padlock for £1 and attached it to his chainwheel, thereby immobilising his bike.
That'll lern 'im!  ;D 8)

Ron.

;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 25 August 2017, 13:53:02 »

Thanks for the giggle, Sir Tig.
I could have waited for one of the plastic pigs (Community coppers) that abound in that area to apprehend him, as we all know how diligent they are in pursuing these miscreants, but I decided that I couldn't wait until Hell froze over before they acted.....

Ron.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 August 2017, 14:40:57 »

That'll lern 'im!  ;D 8)

Ron.

Grey legality, but I would do something like that too ;D

I hope you put a note on the lock so that he knew why he was a winker and why his bike was padlocked? ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #58 on: 25 August 2017, 14:44:53 »

If the cyclist has half a brain he can get the padlock off with a piece of cut-up coke can, anyway.. ah, wait. Based on Ron's description he's probably still there staring at it, isn't he ;D :D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 August 2017, 14:55:15 »

If the cyclist has half a brain he can get the padlock off with a piece of cut-up coke can, anyway.. ah, wait. Based on Ron's description he's probably still there staring at it, isn't he ;D :D

As part of my continual professional development and a desire to get in to Red-Teaming, I have been learning to pick locks and many of them are very, very easy unless you get a ruddy expensive one.  A basic 4 pin can be done by a beginner like me in a few seconds.  Made me think......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.