Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Omega a future classic? The Daily Express says so.....!  (Read 5900 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Omega a future classic? The Daily Express says so.....!
« Reply #30 on: 23 August 2017, 20:15:12 »

I worked for GM at the time the Senny was killed off. There was an interesting internal newsletter interviewing the then new incoming American who took the decision. I clearly recall him stating that given the volume of sales (of the Senny) that he couldn't justify making a vehicle whose two largest customers were 1) GM Europe executives for use as company cars, 2) British Police forces. These two categories made up 50% of sales & given that the first lot was loss/funny money and the second was breakeven at best the decision was stated as being taken on business grounds.
Just some background trivia you might find of interest .......

The thing is, they didn't kill it off, they brought out the Omega as its' successor which, I imagine, probably compounded the problems of a limited market beyond the Police and GM executives. I know my car started out as a GM fleet car. I wonder how many more?
Mine was a Network Q car, is that the same thing? ???

No, KW means his car was driven about by a Vx employee, probably a managers car, then sold after about 9 months.

NetworkQ is a dealer thing when selling a second hand car to put 12 months warranty on it and covers consumables like brake pads/etc....so basically the car doesn't cost you a penny in repairs for 12 months  :y

The Network Q labelling on their used cars is just a way of making VX customers believe they have got a car that has had 101 (can't remember the exact number) checks and therefore is of an excellent standard over and above other use cars out there. When you actually look at what the checks comprise of, it's laughable as they are just routine checks that any car should have prior to sale. Most dealers offer a twelve month warranty on their 'approved' used cars, even if they are out of their initial manufacturers warranty.

Two of my four current Omegas were ex 'Vauxhall Fleet Management' cars with an address in Sale, Cheshire; both having KM and KV registrations. The majority of ex VX cars were reg with similar registrations; UY was one typically used with registrations prior to the current format.
Many manufacturers pre reg vehicles; some are used for a few thousand miles before going to dealers via closed auctions; others have near delivery mileage - eg OV and OY registrations are typical Audi, EO are typical Ford etc, which helps to make them easily distinguishable.

I remember when the Triumph 2.5 PI could be bought for peanuts in the late 70's / early 80's due to a combination of factors - poor reliability through the lack of maintenance knowledge of the new Lucas fuel injection system, and a knock on effect of this causing very poor fuel consumption. Many were converted back to carbs, but still sold for little money. Today, however, it's a different story. The 2.5 PI now commands one of the best values of the Triumph 2000/2500/2.5's range of models.

And if a car built in the 1970's can survive (with loving care!) for 40 - 50 years with the poor rust preventative measures applied to cars then, there is no reason why a Vauxhall Omega can't survive too, if the relative care and attention is given to them. I am, however, the eternal optimist...!
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 23 August 2017, 21:28:08 »

You can replace the entire electrical system on a car of that age for all of about £400, though..

..try that in an Omega! Give it ten years and the ECUs will be NLA, let alone the miles of wiring..

jimbo125

• Intermediate Member
  • Camberley
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.5V6CDI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25 August 2017, 01:29:56 »

Mines SORN but not gone. Rebuilt heads after HG failure piece of piss considering I have never rebuilt an engine before let alone a V6 and now have the welding to do. Can not waite to get her back on the road :y
2.5V6 Had it since 2002, what a beast, worth the time and effort to keep it road worthy. Vauxhall bring them back!!! Laser timing kit for OOF member hire

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25 August 2017, 09:35:01 »

You can replace the entire electrical system on a car of that age for all of about £400, though..

..try that in an Omega! Give it ten years and the ECUs will be NLA, let alone the miles of wiring..

Yep, and the flash memory in the ECUs will start failing, then it's goodnight Vienna.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 25 August 2017, 17:30:56 »

The omega is on the cusp of future classic status and bargain banger barge.

Back in 2003 I decided to buy a mk2 Cavalier Sri when you could get one for about £450. Within 4 years they were all costing £1000 and now are costing £2000 to £5000

If you have a base 1.3 2 door mk2 cavalier which is standard, there are people who would give you a kidney and £5K

I see the same thing happening with the surviving mk3 cavaliers and soon it will be the turn of the omega. Give it 5 years and people will be offering £5K for a car than is now £500 to £1000.  God forbid that it happens with the Vectra B  :-[
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.