Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bought some snake oil for my new car  (Read 3812 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Bought some snake oil for my new car
« Reply #30 on: 18 August 2017, 17:47:42 »

Given my VAGCOM will tell me (via back-pressure estimate) the exact gram weight how much is in the DPF before it starts a re-gen, I could be tempted to try this.

I would need to keep a backlog of readings without this added for a while first, see how often it re-gens and how much it burns off. Then compare that when it's running with this stuff in it.

How often do you take the readings of your DPF Tunnie?  ???

And how long will and at what intervals would you take readings for your control study before adding the snake oil?  :-\

Not often enough really, only every couple of months. I should do it more.

I think I'd want around 4 to 6 weeks of figures, of me plugging in weekly to see when it last did a regen, miles covered and how much soot it burned. That would give me a base to see any meaningful changes if I started using it.

Weekly sounds good!  :y  And those long dark winter nights will fly by whilst you're pouring over your spreadsheets!  ;D

Report back please!  :)

PMSL. Never needed any spreadsheets with an Omega, I bet. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 August 2017, 18:04:05 »

PMSL. Never needed any spreadsheets with an Omega, I bet. ;D

The only spread sheet you need with an Omega is the old sheet you lie on when you're underneath the bloody thing!  :D  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 August 2017, 20:34:35 »

Product description sounds very much like this this https://www.dipetane.com that is used extensivly over here. I've used it for some years on my Transit and it's never failed on emmissions. Much cheaper at €10, roughly £ 8 , too. I also add some two stroke oil to a full tank.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2017, 10:48:20 »

Besides, if you read my post, I'm not that interested in mpg. I'm hoping, with doing short journeys, it may help to keep the DPF in good (better) condition than it might be.
As its quite low miles, I wouldn't be overly concerned, just read the handbook for what to do when the light comes on.  If it was 80-100k miles, I'd probably be more concerned. It will need some regular longer runs, and ideally you want to let it regen long before the light comes on.

Also, service regular, and ensure you use the absolute correct oil for the engine, not just any old stuff, as the oil mixing with the unburnt particles is likely to cause a faster demise.

Just us a low saps oil, changed regular, if you have access to truck spec oils, they are low saps, as most HGV are euro5-6 now and use adblue and sccr,
Haven't a clue when mine regens,  the V4 Volvo has a light on the dash which tells you its re-gening, but were doing lots of motorway miles, so not an issue.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.