Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another collision  (Read 7171 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Another collision
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2017, 10:55:54 »

Glad to see your big fat paintbrush is out again.

C'mon Matt, you know not one American could drive around the outskirts of Milton Keynes as fast as TB in his Silver Bullet... ;)

Been working in MK for the last 6 months and likely to continue for the next year or so.

Nothing is faster than my colleague in his Porker 911 around those roundabouts, except maybe the Tesla S the other fella here has (in ludicrous mode of course)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2017, 12:24:00 »

Glad to see your big fat paintbrush is out again.

C'mon Matt, you know not one American could drive around the outskirts of Milton Keynes as fast as TB in his Silver Bullet... ;)

Been working in MK for the last 6 months and likely to continue for the next year or so.

Nothing is faster than my colleague in his Porker 911 around those roundabouts, except maybe the Tesla S the other fella here has (in ludicrous mode of course)

Don't be silly now, we all know that a 15 year old Vauxhall barge is far quicker than even a brand new Porker Turbo.  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 22 August 2017, 12:27:43 »

The control systems on ships have to be independent and not connected to anything which could be hacked (e.g. isolated islands),

No (military) GPS auto-pilot, then?

The auto pilot systems have to be standalone with only hardwired connections to the VMS/DP, even then they are very basic and rarely used unless transiting over open water. Some DP setups have basic integrated auto pilot but again, isolated from any external systems.

Any DP setup will use multiple inputs for position references (GPS is not considered reliable enough) with different setups used for different scenarios.

But there is no great level of integration where a radar setup would detect a potential collision and cause the system to respond, that's down to the operator

Interesting to know - thanks :y I asked a leading question, really, because I assumed (and you know what assumptions make?) ships would just use some kind of GPS self guidance.. and we all know GPS can be "hacked" (even military systems, given enough work on the part of a nation state, while civilian is trivial).

But apparently it's a case of PEBKAC  ;D

Crap, I'm going to have to moderate my piss-taking if you're that close to me! ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2017, 12:34:31 »

I think the RN have had a few incidents in recent years.  There was a destroyer or Frigate that hit a rock off of Sydney and didn't one of the new Astute class subs get stuck on a sandbar in the Clyde recently?  :-\

There was the grounding of HMS Astute in 2010:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-11605365

;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2017, 12:41:44 »

The control systems on ships have to be independent and not connected to anything which could be hacked (e.g. isolated islands), there are also manual direct connect override joysticks....just in case! (Class rules)

It will be 'human error'

But to go playing dodgems around the waters off Singapore, where there are usually 200 plus ships anchored and the another large quantity actually moving.....its a fools game!

But I have mentioned before, that is what an operational destroyer's crew have to train for.  The art of crossing the main ships of the fleet from port to starboard, or just manourvering at high speed to keep submarines and air attack at bay is highly skilled seamanship that must be practiced continually. That will involving using innocent merchant ships in their dummy runs. ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2017, 12:57:09 »

Crap, I'm going to have to moderate my piss-taking if you're that close to me! ;)

You needn't worry, I dont know where you live ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2017, 13:26:06 »

The control systems on ships have to be independent and not connected to anything which could be hacked (e.g. isolated islands), there are also manual direct connect override joysticks....just in case! (Class rules)

It will be 'human error'

But to go playing dodgems around the waters off Singapore, where there are usually 200 plus ships anchored and the another large quantity actually moving.....its a fools game!

But I have mentioned before, that is what an operational destroyer's crew have to train for.  The art of crossing the main ships of the fleet from port to starboard, or just manourvering at high speed to keep submarines and air attack at bay is highly skilled seamanship that must be practiced continually. That will involving using innocent merchant ships in their dummy runs. ;)

Yep, so human error but, as said, carrying out such manoeuvres where they did given the congestion is an idiots game! (Something the US seem very good at creating and then placing in a position of command at times)  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2017, 13:33:20 »

Just to add, a quick look on our in house vessel tracker shows Singapore as currently having 640 vessels in port and 1080 arrivals in the next 7 days as pretty much every vessel traveling east/west passes here (for obvious reasons!) and many stop.

A free viewer is here:

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:104.0/centery:1.2/zoom:10

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2017, 15:13:45 »

It's not even like I'd hear the milk float coming..

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 August 2017, 16:16:17 »

It's not even like I'd hear the milk float coming..

The milk float is gone and my scoobie is dead so if you see a dark blue s-type with a personalised plate, give me a wave :D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2017, 19:05:46 »

They have found the bodies of at least some of the missing crew members[no numbers were specified]still aboard the ship having been trapped in sealed watertight compartments.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 August 2017, 00:31:06 »

One ex-USN crew comment suggests there are significant crewing and training issues which are known about and they now might have to confront and sort them. :-[
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 23 August 2017, 10:19:05 »

I was reading about this last night, but in light of my earlier comments about GPS hacking etc:

"Adm. John Richardson
2 clarify Re: possibility of cyber intrusion or sabotage, no indications right now...but review will consider all possibilities"

(Source: https://twitter.com/CNORichardson)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 August 2017, 11:59:59 »

Possibility of hacking GPS?

I have a box on my desk at work that can be programmed to generate a GPS signal telling the receiving station anything you want. Can't believe I'm the only one. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 August 2017, 12:17:18 »

Possibility of hacking GPS?

I have a box on my desk at work that can be programmed to generate a GPS signal telling the receiving station anything you want. Can't believe I'm the only one. ::)

So it's you that's directing all these poor Eastern European lorry drivers down country lanes with their artics!  :o  ::)  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.