Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dash cam recomendations  (Read 3657 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Dash cam recomendations
« on: 22 August 2017, 07:58:59 »

As the post implies, has anyone got any recommendations for dash cams or ones to avoid  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Dash cam recomendations
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2017, 08:09:59 »

I have been running an E-Prance G1W for about 5 years now, it works well, image quality is more than good enough and its not stupidly expensive like many (most of which I suspect are the same components with a different brand on!)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2017, 09:09:02 »

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2056088.m4084.l1311.R3.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xddpai.TRS0&_nkw=ddpai+mini+2&_sacat=0

I've got the predecessor to this one. Only small. Links to your phone via Wi-Fi. Good enough quality. Not had any problems with it so far

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2017, 09:59:54 »

I have a nextbase 212. Good picture quality but regret not going for a wifi version as its a pain getting the memory card out to upload videos

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2017, 11:24:47 »

I have a nextbase 212. Good picture quality but regret not going for a wifi version as its a pain getting the memory card out to upload videos

Same here.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2017, 11:53:21 »

Whenever I see a car with one of the 'bigger' cameras in it (the ones with a screen on) I can't help but have TheBoy's words about people who have SatNav's stuck to the screen ringing in my ears..

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2017, 12:11:33 »

Coincidentally, in the Swede I have the DDPAI mini up front and the E-prance in the rear. Reason being that the e-prance is cheap but would take up too much windscreen space for my liking. The ddpai sits pretty well out of sight behind the rear view mirror.

Quality on both is fine  :y. Whatever camera you buy, do some googling on the most appropriate memory card to buy. Many are class and (occasionally) brand sensitive, also some have size restrictions.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #7 on: 22 August 2017, 13:15:27 »

Whenever I see a car with one of the 'bigger' cameras in it (the ones with a screen on) I can't help but have TheBoy's words about people who have SatNav's stuck to the screen ringing in my ears..

What are 'TheBoy's words...........' then?

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 August 2017, 13:36:00 »

Mine sits up pretty much behind the rear view mirror so no real impact at all on view (well 125k plus miles of no 'impacts' anyway!)  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 August 2017, 13:39:15 »

http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2056088.m4084.l1311.R3.TR7.TRC1.A0.H0.Xddpai.TRS0&_nkw=ddpai+mini+2&_sacat=0

I've got the predecessor to this one. Only small. Links to your phone via Wi-Fi. Good enough quality. Not had any problems with it so far

That link is quite good as there are two dash cams for £95, on Amazon they are £85 each, might be worth a punt.

I like the fact that they are small and discrete too  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2017, 14:11:52 »

I like the fact that they are small and discrete too  :y

they have a parking mode too if ou want to use it. Obviously they'd need a permanent live, but even DDpai do a purpose made power supply for them for little money.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2017, 14:57:55 »

I wonder how long before cars are factory fitted with cameras, so these cameras become obsolete like sat navs have become?  ???

I like those though and I guess they're kinda fit and forget.......  unless you need them?  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2017, 15:04:18 »

I like those though and I guess they're kinda fit and forget.......  unless you need them?  ::)

Mine is hard wired so I don't have to touch it at all. It's small enough to fit in front of the mirror, and is only really visible if you know it's there.

Nor is there any need for a large memory card, as you're only ever going to be interested in the last 5minutes or so.

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2017, 15:15:11 »

What are 'TheBoy's words...........' then?

Something about "people" (you know, his favourite word for people..) who have "great big donks stuck in the middle of their screen so they can't see where they're going".

I'm sure it was something like that. Suitably broad brush strokes and ascerbic, as you'd expect from TB ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2017, 15:16:19 »

Nor is there any need for a large memory card, as you're only ever going to be interested in the last 5minutes or so.

You need more than that for a good YouTube channel you can monetise, you know..  :D

I keep thinking about getting one after being punted up the arse in a car park.. but I've been saying that for a year so the chances of me getting around to it before I actually need one are probably slim!

I'll buy one the day after I needed it, of course..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.