Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much would you pay for the "right" omega  (Read 5272 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
How much would you pay for the "right" omega
« on: 25 August 2017, 11:14:58 »

Driving to work today, I had plenty of time to muse and one thing I got to thinking about is  the cost of omegas in the uk.

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £3250 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

So, how much would you spend on "the right" omega?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay for the "right" omega
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2017, 11:26:25 »

For me, the right Omega to replace the 3.2 would be a:

2.2, CDX, Auto, Petrol, Estate.

Trouble is all ones that pop up are sheds, the 3.2, much as a complain about it's fuel use is fairly solid. Wishbones done when I got it, I don't drive like a loon so all still fine, exhaust fairly decent, sensors are post cat (420 code fix), air-con works, recent cam belt kit, it has the later '03 style leather (not smooth) - So any replacement Omega would need a lot of work.

Rust is the big issue now, rewind 5 years it was never a problem really. But now rust is really biting on a lot of examples, so even a 50k mile example could require a shed load of welding.

I don't think I would ever buy another Omega now  :'(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2017, 11:42:44 »

Driving to work today, I had plenty of time to muse and one thing I got to thinking about is  the cost of omegas in the uk.

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £4950 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

Fixed. Price was well out :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2017, 11:45:10 »

The last 2 I broke were rotten beyond belief, bodily they looked fine but inner rear arches were like teabags, likewise the front subframe mounting areas, I was quite shocked to be honest as previous ones have been pretty good underneath.

I'd say the best option for a keeper would be buy the right spec in reasonable order for sub 1k and chuck a grand at welding and a grand at a respray   
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2017, 12:08:19 »

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £3250 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

There is no simple formula to price a low-mileage Omega. It is simply a case of think of a number double it and then add 50%.

You may get lucky......you may not.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2017, 12:21:13 »

Fixed. Price was well out :o

Wow you're right! Obviously I was looking at two different cars and mixed up the prices  :-[. Ok, for that money I'd take the S-type, and budget for some new cills  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2017, 13:25:41 »

Im not revealing how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent something like £1500 (plus my labour)  to get it just how I want it (well almost) in just over a year. On the one hand its a 15 year old car with almost 180k miles on the clock , so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on it.
On the other hand, its in nice condition, been well looked after, and if I keep it for several years, it will be money well spent.
So, it depends on your intentions for the car really. If you spend more than market value to get a nice car, that you like, and intend to keep for quiet a while, then it can be a wise move for the right car.
The flaw in my theory is that I keep looking at CL500,s and really fancy one, but it would be mad to sell the Omega now after all the time and money Ive put into getting it how I want it to be.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2017, 13:57:39 »

Im not revealing how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent something like £1500 (plus my labour)  to get it just how I want it (well almost) in just over a year. On the one hand its a 15 year old car with almost 180k miles on the clock , so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on it.
On the other hand, its in nice condition, been well looked after, and if I keep it for several years, it will be money well spent.
So, it depends on your intentions for the car really. If you spend more than market value to get a nice car, that you like, and intend to keep for quiet a while, then it can be a wise move for the right car.
The flaw in my theory is that I keep looking at CL500,s and really fancy one, but it would be mad to sell the Omega now after all the time and money Ive put into getting it how I want it to be.  ;D

To quote Mrs Doyle.

Go on......go on.....go on......go on.......go on.......go on........go on.......go on.........go on.......go on. You know you want to. :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2017, 16:29:34 »

Seeing as I've already proved there is nothing for less than £10k to replace an Omega with, thats what I'll set the bar at for the perfect Omega, tidy enough to run for 15yrs without needing bodywork work or welding.

However, I do doubt there is such a car out there.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2017, 16:30:24 »

Seeing as I've already proved there is nothing for less than £10k to replace an Omega with, thats what I'll set the bar at for the perfect Omega, tidy enough to run for 15yrs without needing bodywork work or welding.

Considering most of them couldn't make it to 15 years old, from new, without needing welding.. I can't see any of them making it another 15 years!

And you'd be insane to spend £10k on an Omega, utterly insane.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2017, 16:52:47 »

Considering most of them couldn't make it to 15 years old, from new, without needing welding.. I can't see any of them making it another 15 years!

And you'd be insane to spend £10k on an Omega, utterly insane.
I based that on the fact there is nothing comparable for under £10k really.  So therefore, a showroom example is, to me, worth £10k.

Everything else is compromised or well above £10k.  I spent a year looking.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2017, 16:53:46 »

Both the long term Omegas I've owned I bought in the £3-4k bracket :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2017, 16:55:21 »

And both long term omegas made it (or in case of TBE look like they will) to 15yrs without welding ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2017, 16:58:17 »

Though this is much like one of those hypothetical questions, like one we had in the office a few years back - "how much money would you want before allowing another bloke to shag you", or "how much to give another guy a head job".  I must say, one of my (ex) colleagues was very cheap ;D
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2017, 17:08:45 »

Though this is much like one of those hypothetical questions, like one we had in the office a few years back - "how much money would you want before allowing another bloke to shag you", or "how much to give another guy a head job".  I must say, one of my (ex) colleagues was very cheap ;D
Right.....   move along.....  ???

So?    How much then!  :-* ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.