Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much would you pay for the "right" omega  (Read 5267 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
How much would you pay for the "right" omega
« on: 25 August 2017, 11:14:58 »

Driving to work today, I had plenty of time to muse and one thing I got to thinking about is  the cost of omegas in the uk.

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £3250 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

So, how much would you spend on "the right" omega?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: How much would you pay for the "right" omega
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2017, 11:26:25 »

For me, the right Omega to replace the 3.2 would be a:

2.2, CDX, Auto, Petrol, Estate.

Trouble is all ones that pop up are sheds, the 3.2, much as a complain about it's fuel use is fairly solid. Wishbones done when I got it, I don't drive like a loon so all still fine, exhaust fairly decent, sensors are post cat (420 code fix), air-con works, recent cam belt kit, it has the later '03 style leather (not smooth) - So any replacement Omega would need a lot of work.

Rust is the big issue now, rewind 5 years it was never a problem really. But now rust is really biting on a lot of examples, so even a 50k mile example could require a shed load of welding.

I don't think I would ever buy another Omega now  :'(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2017, 11:42:44 »

Driving to work today, I had plenty of time to muse and one thing I got to thinking about is  the cost of omegas in the uk.

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £4950 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

Fixed. Price was well out :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2017, 11:45:10 »

The last 2 I broke were rotten beyond belief, bodily they looked fine but inner rear arches were like teabags, likewise the front subframe mounting areas, I was quite shocked to be honest as previous ones have been pretty good underneath.

I'd say the best option for a keeper would be buy the right spec in reasonable order for sub 1k and chuck a grand at welding and a grand at a respray   
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2017, 12:08:19 »

On autotrader ATM there is a mint-looking 3.2 elite with less than 50k on it and the dealer wants £3250 for it. My first response was "fu£kin how much?!" But then I got to thinking, for a similar aged & condition 5 series, someone would take your hand off. Even a Jag S-type would cost you more and the omega is definitely the better car of those two!

There is no simple formula to price a low-mileage Omega. It is simply a case of think of a number double it and then add 50%.

You may get lucky......you may not.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2017, 12:21:13 »

Fixed. Price was well out :o

Wow you're right! Obviously I was looking at two different cars and mixed up the prices  :-[. Ok, for that money I'd take the S-type, and budget for some new cills  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2017, 13:25:41 »

Im not revealing how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent something like £1500 (plus my labour)  to get it just how I want it (well almost) in just over a year. On the one hand its a 15 year old car with almost 180k miles on the clock , so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on it.
On the other hand, its in nice condition, been well looked after, and if I keep it for several years, it will be money well spent.
So, it depends on your intentions for the car really. If you spend more than market value to get a nice car, that you like, and intend to keep for quiet a while, then it can be a wise move for the right car.
The flaw in my theory is that I keep looking at CL500,s and really fancy one, but it would be mad to sell the Omega now after all the time and money Ive put into getting it how I want it to be.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2017, 13:57:39 »

Im not revealing how much I paid for mine, but Ive spent something like £1500 (plus my labour)  to get it just how I want it (well almost) in just over a year. On the one hand its a 15 year old car with almost 180k miles on the clock , so it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on it.
On the other hand, its in nice condition, been well looked after, and if I keep it for several years, it will be money well spent.
So, it depends on your intentions for the car really. If you spend more than market value to get a nice car, that you like, and intend to keep for quiet a while, then it can be a wise move for the right car.
The flaw in my theory is that I keep looking at CL500,s and really fancy one, but it would be mad to sell the Omega now after all the time and money Ive put into getting it how I want it to be.  ;D

To quote Mrs Doyle.

Go on......go on.....go on......go on.......go on.......go on........go on.......go on.........go on.......go on. You know you want to. :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2017, 16:29:34 »

Seeing as I've already proved there is nothing for less than £10k to replace an Omega with, thats what I'll set the bar at for the perfect Omega, tidy enough to run for 15yrs without needing bodywork work or welding.

However, I do doubt there is such a car out there.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2017, 16:30:24 »

Seeing as I've already proved there is nothing for less than £10k to replace an Omega with, thats what I'll set the bar at for the perfect Omega, tidy enough to run for 15yrs without needing bodywork work or welding.

Considering most of them couldn't make it to 15 years old, from new, without needing welding.. I can't see any of them making it another 15 years!

And you'd be insane to spend £10k on an Omega, utterly insane.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2017, 16:52:47 »

Considering most of them couldn't make it to 15 years old, from new, without needing welding.. I can't see any of them making it another 15 years!

I based that on the fact there is nothing comparable for under £10k really.  So therefore, a showroom example is, to me, worth £10k.

Everything else is compromised or well above £10k.  I spent a year looking.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2017, 16:53:46 »

Both the long term Omegas I've owned I bought in the £3-4k bracket :)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2017, 16:55:21 »

And both long term omegas made it (or in case of TBE look like they will) to 15yrs without welding ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 August 2017, 16:58:17 »

Though this is much like one of those hypothetical questions, like one we had in the office a few years back - "how much money would you want before allowing another bloke to shag you", or "how much to give another guy a head job".  I must say, one of my (ex) colleagues was very cheap ;D
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 August 2017, 17:08:45 »

Though this is much like one of those hypothetical questions, like one we had in the office a few years back - "how much money would you want before allowing another bloke to shag you", or "how much to give another guy a head job".  I must say, one of my (ex) colleagues was very cheap ;D
Right.....   move along.....  ???

So?    How much then!  :-* ;D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 August 2017, 17:22:38 »

I think it's the case that most people believe that any V6 omega is going to be an unreliable, uneconomical, bucket of 5H!T3 especially if it's cheap, so the best way to convince the few people in the market for one that yours is the best and will at least be reliable and not a bucket of Plop, is to conjure a massive price out of thin air, and hope that there's one (born everyday) for whom money is irrelevant.

That said. I only paid £525 for my high mileage 3.2 MV6 saloon, and yesterday was it's first RAC call out, (and due to wrong rear disc, so maintenance related not reliability related), I have had to throw money at it in the first year, wish bones, and cam cover gaskets and coil packs have pretty much made it a £1200 investment. Plus I still need a passenger rear door in Z20M petrol Blue.

If I were to do it all again, I'd know what I was getting myself into, but I'd still buy the one I did, because if you buy a 70K car, it's still going to need all that doing in the next couple of years anyway. 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 August 2017, 17:55:07 »

Right.....   move along.....  ???

So?    How much did you pay then!  :-* ;D

fixed that for you

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 August 2017, 19:01:24 »

I am not afraid to state again I paid £3,495, after trade in, for my current 3.2 in 2013 with a full service history, immaculate condition and just 57k on the clock.

I have never regretted that and have spent good money keeping it in prime condition with a main Vx dealer doing all the work in terms of servicing and maintenance.

I would only sell it for £10,000 as it should be my final car which I will take to both our ends, God willing! :D :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2017, 19:38:08 »

I am not afraid to state again I paid £3,495, after trade in, for my current 3.2 in 2013 with a full service history, immaculate condition and just 57k on the clock.

I have never regretted that and have spent good money keeping it in prime condition with a main Vx dealer doing all the work in terms of servicing and maintenance.

I would only sell it for £10,000 as it should be my final car which I will take to both our ends, God willing! :D :D ;)
[/highlight]

Bit gloomy , Lizzie. ::) :-* :-* :-* :-*

You'll live to one hundred. ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2017, 20:15:54 »

Ignoring badge snobbery and market values - its a hell of a lot of car for £3495.
Ive had people in my car who drive or have been in very expensive cars, and the comments are usually something like " This is a gorgeous car, I'm really surprised. Never took much notice of them when they were new, but then Ive never taken much notice of any Vauxhalls".
Followed by "Christ it can shift as well". Then " It seems to handle really well for such a big car".  ::) ;D
I just retain the slightly smug grin until they give in and ask me to slow down a bit.  :D
Its showing off I suppose, because I drive it quite sedately when I'm by myself. :-[
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2017, 20:26:56 »

Depends what the £10K does to the Omega  ;)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2017, 00:59:16 »

is this sat nav standard OEM for a 2003 mig elite?

ad is here by the way:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708208517627
" ONLY 1 IN WHOLE COUNTRY" ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 August 2017, 08:40:55 »

migmog - technically the standard satnav was the screen type you show on a 3.2. However, at the end of the run, many had the colour screen, though it was never officially standard
Grumpy old man

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 August 2017, 09:18:40 »

is this sat nav standard OEM for a 2003 mig elite?

ad is here by the way:
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708208517627
" ONLY 1 IN WHOLE COUNTRY" ::)

I got a notification when this advert first appeared on Autotrader around the 21st August - then the asking price was £3950 (still got the email on my phone with this price). It's now risen to £4950!!?!! Got the makings of a lovely car though, but what spoils it for me is the interior colour - beige with silver? I thought the option of the light grey looked far better with silver. It's only my opinion, though ....
Its only about 20 miles from me...but I have too many anyway........
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 August 2017, 09:25:28 »

See, without seeing the ad, I'd avoid that one, as clearly the seller has made no attempt to hide the fact its been butchered about with.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 August 2017, 09:26:38 »

And obviously, my "perfect" Omega would be a 3.0 auto, not its poor cousin, the 3.2.
Grumpy old man

relluf

« Reply #26 on: 26 August 2017, 10:15:18 »

As some may know I purchased MF03 this.....

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=139264.0

From James earlier this year for the money he advertised it for.
 In my mind it is /was worth more than that but James being the man he is just wanted to recoup what he had spent on the car in purchasing and fettling.
It has had a lot of work done previously then James put his hands to it and rectified a few issues cam belt etc.

To my mind the car is absolutely spot on ,well specced with colour nav phone etc, very little corrosion I can see apart from one rear arch which is being done soon.
I know the purists among you will say its only a 2.6 its not a proper V6, but it would take me an awful long time to find another car to replace it with in any marque without going over £4500/£5000.
Cheers James , I am very Happy(touches wood ;D)

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2017, 12:09:54 »

Line 'em up, VX wants your Omegas for their new scrappage scheme,they want rid of them for once and all time.But don't be sad as they will all be reincarnated as boy racer Pugs ::)  ;D

Mutha Jugs n Speed

• Intermediate Member
  • Out there?
    • Nosey aint'cha
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 August 2017, 12:17:25 »

Mind you the, the Irish boys are doing a grand job of drifting a large number of Omegas to a pretty nasty end in an Irish scrapyard.Been asked a few times about mine...Ermm! that would be a no! :o  >:(

paul l

• east midlands
    • dti estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2017, 00:18:18 »

Paid and spent way over mkt value on my 2.2dti but its in the condition and colour I want, even bought a complete car just for the mv6 interior, that was 160 miles away. Removed the interior, bumper and lights and handed back the keys and let the owner sell what was left

2boxerdogs

« Reply #30 on: 27 August 2017, 08:12:28 »

I wonder if there is an unregistered one lurking somewhere? Have seen several "new" old vehicles" appear in the last few years I would give £15,000 tops for that.Would have to be V6 though.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2017, 08:56:58 »

I can vaguely remember Josh Wyatt speaking of such a car a few years ago.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2017, 08:58:04 »

I wonder if there is an unregistered one lurking somewhere? Have seen several "new" old vehicles" appear in the last few years I would give £15,000 tops for that.Would have to be V6 though.
Only ones you're likely to see like that will be Specials, such as plod.  I wouldn't pay much for a plod, even brand new.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 27 August 2017, 09:48:03 »

And an unused 15 year old car will be undrivable without a lot of work and replacement parts

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 August 2017, 12:10:27 »

They were unable to be registered as a deliberate paperwork error saw other vehicles registered using the chassis numbers of the unregistered vehicles. DVLA wouldn't budge.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 August 2017, 12:35:08 »

[/highlight]

Bit gloomy , Lizzie. ::) :-* :-* :-* :-*

You'll live to one hundred. ;)

Bloody hope not!! ;D ;D ;)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 August 2017, 16:53:17 »

They were unable to be registered as a deliberate paperwork error saw other vehicles registered using the chassis numbers of the unregistered vehicles. DVLA wouldn't budge.

Interesting. Would have thought you could put them through the sva and get an age registered plate?  :-\

Pmacca2000

• Intermediate Member
  • Midlands
    • Omega CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 August 2017, 18:59:17 »

My CD has cost a fortune this year, thermostat, cam cover gaskets (it's a V6) cam belt service, door lock and crank sensor so far. I understand it will soon need an exhaust as the boxes are crumbling and a down pipe has suffered road strike but I wouldn't be without her purely for the noise she makes around mid throttle and comfort she provides.
I understand 3000 are being scrapped every year meaning tidy ones are tipped to be going up in price!
Pmacca, living the dream since 1995

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 August 2017, 19:49:14 »

Interesting. Would have thought you could put them through the sva and get an age registered plate?  :-\
Nope. Export outside EU for 12 months and reimport before they would even discuss it >:(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 August 2017, 20:14:21 »

Bloody typical. Ar$hole pen pusher I suspect.  >:(

Real shame! No OOFers on the Isle of Man I take it ;).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 August 2017, 22:28:13 »

Bloody typical. Ar$hole pen pusher I suspect.  >:(

Real shame! No OOFers on the Isle of Man I take it ;).
I have family on both Guernsey and Jersey, but was unable to pin down the details before they were disposed of >:(  :-X

Jukeboxnut

• Intermediate Member
  • West Sussex
    • 2004 2.2 auto CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28 August 2017, 22:46:42 »

I have just bought a 1991 Mercedes S124 230TE auto estate and therefore I am very reluctantly considering selling my excellent 2004 2.2 CDX auto estate which has excellent bodywork.  I bought it 10 years ago and it has been kept in a garage and pampered ever since.  I injected Dinitrol wax into every cavity hence no rust and despite having covered just over 130,000 miles drives almost like new and has always been totally reliable.  It must be one of the best around but I have no idea what to ask for it.  A local dealer (Chichester) on ebay is asking nearly £1300 for one that seems similar to mine but I haven't seen it to compare.  If anyone is interested I would be grateful for any advice on price, if that is not being too cheeky.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 August 2017, 12:15:57 »

In most cases like mine you just wouldnt get back what you spent on it getting it in top condition. Would not part with mine for no less than £1500 as thats whats been spent including price of the car  :)
Omegatitis
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.