Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: one for guffer, to explain  (Read 4644 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile

STEMO

Re: one for guffer, to explain
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2017, 12:41:47 »

An off-his-head-on-something cyclist. I've seen them behind the wheels of a car in that state, now that is scary.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2017, 14:18:36 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4839454/Cyclist-chases-cab-goads-driver-RUN-OVER.html

Happened in Blackpool.

Case closed  :D

Nuff said.   ;D

But if you want me to justify the actions of a few "idiots on a bike"  I shall ask the same of you for the same minority of motorists :y

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2017, 16:01:25 »

:o The scary eyes give it away

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2017, 16:56:57 »

Seeing as we are in the habit of having to justify every mistake and unlawful act performed by people in our tribes, have a go at this one Bigron:

https://twitter.com/veloevol/status/902808360654917632/video/1

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2017, 17:12:10 »

And explain how this driver got off lightly considering the potential danger he could have caused:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Drunk-HGV-driver-could-have-caused-catastrophic-disaster-after-making-a-U-turn-on-the-M6-in-Cumbria-64f9cfe6-2166-4f59-9255-afe9b7661efe-ds

Compared to this cyclist who did everything right but the police and the CPS went out of their way to convict him of a 19th century law:

http://road.cc/content/news/228582-drunk-cyclist-who-had-been-pushing-bike-was-locked-police-under-19th-century-law

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 August 2017, 17:24:47 »

That HGV driver is outrageous!

I'd bet my last quid that had this happened after the recent M1 crash (in the other thread) he would have been dealt with more harshly!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2017, 17:29:15 »

One would think so but Judges go by sentencing guidelines and not the public mood.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2017, 17:33:33 »

One would think so but Judges go by sentencing guidelines and not the public mood.
This is a good thing.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2017, 17:39:53 »

This is a good thing.

Unless you were directly and adversely affected by the offense committed.  I speak here from experience.  Last weekend I was back up in Cheshire so I decided to go and see my brother's grave, lay some flowers and give it a tidy up.  It has been over 27 years but every time I go I never fail to shed a tear.  Part of that is not just the loss but the fact that his life was worth a measly 9 months in prison.  The injustice still hurts and always will.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2017, 18:05:41 »

That does, understandably, add a sense of perspective.

But at the same time, would you rather a society whose justice system is run by kangeroo courts with judgements made on the basis of whim, for example where all the men in 'community' are ordered to rape a child because of some perceived misdemeanor; or one devoid of emotion, guided by precedent and the letter of the law and which occasionally appears soft in its punishment?

My simplification above is in no way meant to be an affront to your brother, or to you and your families loss. And I know you will be constantly trying to improve the system so that other similarly affected families may take some small solace in tougher/more appropriate sentences.

Sometimes the law is an ass, but it could be far, far worse.

Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2017, 18:33:44 »

And explain how this driver got off lightly considering the potential danger he could have caused:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Drunk-HGV-driver-could-have-caused-catastrophic-disaster-after-making-a-U-turn-on-the-M6-in-Cumbria-64f9cfe6-2166-4f59-9255-afe9b7661efe-ds

The above should have had the book thrown at him, the case proves the law is an ass. 
And as for the mitigating circumstances, that's just a very good lawyer/qc fighting his case,hence why he got what he did, which is wrong.
Hoof'land storeman.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2017, 20:10:36 »

That does, understandably, add a sense of perspective.

But at the same time, would you rather a society whose justice system is run by kangeroo courts with judgements made on the basis of whim, for example where all the men in 'community' are ordered to rape a child because of some perceived misdemeanor; or one devoid of emotion, guided by precedent and the letter of the law and which occasionally appears soft in its punishment?

My simplification above is in no way meant to be an affront to your brother, or to you and your families loss. And I know you will be constantly trying to improve the system so that other similarly affected families may take some small solace in tougher/more appropriate sentences.

Sometimes the law is an ass, but it could be far, far worse.

I full agree with you, I was just trying to add that element which many feel is lost in sentencing even with today's 'Victim Impact Statements' which do little to influence things imo.  I agree that the law is an ass, but so long as it is an ass of equal measure to everyone then it is ok.

Counter your statement with the public lynching of cyclist pr!ck Mr Alliston while the whole country has complete apathy toward the two cyclists who were killed, one in a hit and run, during the trial.  Like you said, the law is an ass but if it was swayed by public opinion it would be worse.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2017, 10:00:28 »

Off topic slightly, but in view of a previous post, I don't know how these lawyers can sleep at nights. They defend these 'criminal acts' and the more sickening horrendous crimes that seem part of modern life, and do everything in their power to get these slimy b******s off, when in reality, they should rot in hell !!! >:(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.