Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: one for guffer, to explain  (Read 4612 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: one for guffer, to explain
« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2017, 17:55:27 »

At risk of sounding pedantic, then it is not a cycle path but a shared use path.  The reason for for the bullish statement was to bring up the suggestion that cyclists should be forced to use cycle paths where they are installed.  If I am cycling at 15-25mph on my triathlon bike then a cycle path is more dangerous than the road.

But again we come back to the big wide brush which paints all cyclists the same colour.  There was no evidence of wrong-doing on the part of the cyclist yet blame is placed in his way.  No charges brought against the pedestrian who was in blatant breach of the highway code and possibly the RTA.  The fact that some are absolute pillocks (and I do not dispute that fact) does not mean that cyclists should be considered second-class road users who are subject to the law but somehow not protected by it. 

When I ride I follow the Highway code, I like most cyclists do not break the law yet I see dozens of motorists putting my life at risk and passing me leaving inches of space for the sake of gaining a few seconds waiting time in the next queue (which I will normally catch them up for).  Either that or a SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You) turning right in to my path or overtaking and then left-hooking in front of me regardless of the high quality light and hi-viz I am decked out with.  Let alone a pedestrian looking down at their phone and walking out in to the road in front of me.  All of which I am somehow supposed to pre-empt by having radar in the back of my head and a crystal ball to fathom which f%$kwit is going to try and end my life today.

Then after all that, I have to reconcile with the highly likely possibility that if my life was ended by someone else's mistake (or deliberate act) then there is a good chance that nothing will come of it due to the fact that I was cycling and not driving or walking.  Whereas if I kill a pedestrian then all the villagers come out with their pitchforks and demand my blood.  Put yourself in the shoes of a cyclist for a moment and tell me that's fair.

Just clarify .........

How would you describe " a cyclist" ?

eg, a person who uses a bicycle to get from A to B or something else ?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: one for guffer, to explain
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2017, 10:09:06 »

Someone, regardless of ability, who takes to a push bike with a respect for the road and rules in the same way a motorist would.  The rest are just t@#ts on a bike ;) ::)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 10:12:10 by Guffer »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.