Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Love Liverpool  (Read 3769 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Love Liverpool
« on: 02 September 2017, 16:18:30 »

At last I have managed to spend 12 days around and in Liverpool.  For decades I have wanted to spend some real time in this City, apart from going there on business.

What a fantastic, interesting and vibrant City it is.  The people, without exception were fantastic; as usual with the North they talked to you, smiled, passed the time of day freely with you and were so helpful.  I'm a true Southerner, and do not want to sound patronizing in any way, but if I could practically do it I would move to Liverpool.

Of course I spent time on the Mersey Ferry, a bus explorer trip, and visited the Beatles Story, along with going past both Evertons and Liverpool FC grounds, but I realise there is far, far more to this lovely City which I managed to see a lot of.  Yes, I had Beatles, along with Jerry and The Pacemakers, songs going through my head constantly, but then I felt so relaxed and at peace.  In London I'm afraid you get none of all that, just hustle and bustle, coupled with indifference, or just plain rudeness, most of the time!

Good Luck Liverpool!! :y :y :y :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Love Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2017, 17:06:26 »

Lizzie, I quite believe your assessment of present day London; I try to keep away from there as much as possible now.
However, I was born in the East End back in the days whene the streets were in black and white and there were very few non-cockneys about; it's the immigrants who have made it the way you describe: not all of them, of course not, but..... :(

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2017, 17:59:31 »

Nice of you to say such nice things about my home city Lizzie, it's certainly becoming very popular with visitors and I believe there wasn't a hotel room to be had last weekend and we have a lot of hotels  ;D.

I'd have happily given you a few tips had I known you were heading down here, did you manage to see both cathedrals ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2017, 18:44:31 »

Nice of you to say such nice things about my home city Lizzie, it's certainly becoming very popular with visitors and I believe there wasn't a hotel room to be had last weekend and we have a lot of hotels  ;D.

I'd have happily given you a few tips had I known you were heading down here, did you manage to see both cathedrals ?

Thanks, that could have helped but we did alright in getting around.

Yes, but only from the outside. We did a lot of driving and walking, so took in a great deal, but of course in 11 days it is hard to see everything.

The architecture, along with historic values, around the City and in the suburbs was of particular interest to me as it was really impressive.  The great mix of era's involved, highlighted by the Cathedrals and the Museum of Liverpool for instance, showed me Liverpool is not only treasuring it's past but very much looking ahead with clean, modern lines in the process.  London could learn a lot from all this, but unfortunately unlike the "Pool", the skyline has become very exaggerated and lost the values of having a lovely flat lines, thus failing now to do what Liverpool is still doing; promoting church spires and many famous old buildings, such of course like the Liver Building.  Even the Liverpool One shopping centre had an underground, multi-storey, car park with the height of the shops kept as low as possible.   

I must say I was amazed how close the Goodison Park ground is to Anfield.  I have visited Anfield in the past to watch a game, but never realised they are almost in spitting distance.  I love the way Everton have banners on the lamp posts in the neighbouring roads, which seems to stake out their patch! :D 8) 8)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2017, 18:44:37 »

STEMO came from there. That's a good enough reason for me to avoid the place.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2017, 18:47:03 »

Lizzie, I quite believe your assessment of present day London; I try to keep away from there as much as possible now.
However, I was born in the East End back in the days whene the streets were in black and white and there were very few non-cockneys about; it's the immigrants who have made it the way you describe: not all of them, of course not, but..... :(

Ron.

The only thing is Ron that Liverpool is a VERY diverse City, but still ALL people I met, regardless of ethnic origin, were all the same. Very helpful, polite and friendly.  They reflected the very heart of Liverpool.

Why can't London foster that kind of mix I wonder? :-\ :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2017, 18:48:27 »

STEMO came from there. That's a good enough reason for me to avoid the place.  ;D

Poor STEMO.  The City is a credit to him and I  now wonder why so many Liverpudlians become famous and leave the place.  I certainly wouldn't! ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2017, 18:51:09 »

I used to go to and from there in the early 80,s on the ferry to / from Belfast. I was never smitten by the place tbh, but each to their own.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2017, 19:05:15 »

The waterfront is about to lose it's world heritage site status. They are going to build a terminal to accommodate ocean going liners and, apparently, the associated infrastructure will spoil the view.
So.....millions of pounds a year into the city, or keep our title....tough call......not.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2017, 19:49:44 »

The waterfront is about to lose it's world heritage site status. They are going to build a terminal to accommodate ocean going liners and, apparently, the associated infrastructure will spoil the view.
So.....millions of pounds a year into the city, or keep our title....tough call......not.

As far as I could see all development has added to the City, such as the fabulous Museum of Liverpool building.  I hope the new terminus maintains this trend, and the recorded guide on the Mersey Ferry seem to suggest it would.  If I was a Liverpudlian I would fight hard to retain the World Heritage status as, not only is it well deserved, but a liner terminal well designed will only add to it all.  The importance of keeping looking forward, not back, seems to have been well understood by this City.  Long may that continue :y 

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2017, 20:32:44 »

Sadly the city Council are just focused on expansion and building as much student accommodation as possible and some seriously beautiful architecture has been criminally lost due to some very big bribes dubious planning approvals, hence the world heritage status being threatened. Remember the Georgian terrace along Lime St and the futurist cinema Ste?  gone  :'(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2017, 20:38:21 »

Sadly the city Council are just focused on expansion and building as much student accommodation as possible and some seriously beautiful architecture has been criminally lost due to some very big bribes dubious planning approvals, hence the world heritage status being threatened. Remember the Georgian terrace along Lime St and the futurist cinema Ste?  gone  :'(
Was that where the Legs of Man was?

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2017, 20:39:38 »

Ah....I think you're talking across London Road from the Legs of Man.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2017, 20:41:28 »

Wrong thread  :-[
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 20:44:42 by STEMO »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2017, 20:43:53 »

Never been to Liverpool but just spending a few days in Yorkshire & we have been saying similar things ,have done a lot of walking & everyone has acknowledged one another & stopped to chat so different to South London & even Lincolnshire where we now live.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.