Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love Liverpool  (Read 3771 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Love Liverpool
« on: 02 September 2017, 16:18:30 »

At last I have managed to spend 12 days around and in Liverpool.  For decades I have wanted to spend some real time in this City, apart from going there on business.

What a fantastic, interesting and vibrant City it is.  The people, without exception were fantastic; as usual with the North they talked to you, smiled, passed the time of day freely with you and were so helpful.  I'm a true Southerner, and do not want to sound patronizing in any way, but if I could practically do it I would move to Liverpool.

Of course I spent time on the Mersey Ferry, a bus explorer trip, and visited the Beatles Story, along with going past both Evertons and Liverpool FC grounds, but I realise there is far, far more to this lovely City which I managed to see a lot of.  Yes, I had Beatles, along with Jerry and The Pacemakers, songs going through my head constantly, but then I felt so relaxed and at peace.  In London I'm afraid you get none of all that, just hustle and bustle, coupled with indifference, or just plain rudeness, most of the time!

Good Luck Liverpool!! :y :y :y :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Love Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2017, 17:06:26 »

Lizzie, I quite believe your assessment of present day London; I try to keep away from there as much as possible now.
However, I was born in the East End back in the days whene the streets were in black and white and there were very few non-cockneys about; it's the immigrants who have made it the way you describe: not all of them, of course not, but..... :(

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2017, 17:59:31 »

Nice of you to say such nice things about my home city Lizzie, it's certainly becoming very popular with visitors and I believe there wasn't a hotel room to be had last weekend and we have a lot of hotels  ;D.

I'd have happily given you a few tips had I known you were heading down here, did you manage to see both cathedrals ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 September 2017, 18:44:31 »

Nice of you to say such nice things about my home city Lizzie, it's certainly becoming very popular with visitors and I believe there wasn't a hotel room to be had last weekend and we have a lot of hotels  ;D.

I'd have happily given you a few tips had I known you were heading down here, did you manage to see both cathedrals ?

Thanks, that could have helped but we did alright in getting around.

Yes, but only from the outside. We did a lot of driving and walking, so took in a great deal, but of course in 11 days it is hard to see everything.

The architecture, along with historic values, around the City and in the suburbs was of particular interest to me as it was really impressive.  The great mix of era's involved, highlighted by the Cathedrals and the Museum of Liverpool for instance, showed me Liverpool is not only treasuring it's past but very much looking ahead with clean, modern lines in the process.  London could learn a lot from all this, but unfortunately unlike the "Pool", the skyline has become very exaggerated and lost the values of having a lovely flat lines, thus failing now to do what Liverpool is still doing; promoting church spires and many famous old buildings, such of course like the Liver Building.  Even the Liverpool One shopping centre had an underground, multi-storey, car park with the height of the shops kept as low as possible.   

I must say I was amazed how close the Goodison Park ground is to Anfield.  I have visited Anfield in the past to watch a game, but never realised they are almost in spitting distance.  I love the way Everton have banners on the lamp posts in the neighbouring roads, which seems to stake out their patch! :D 8) 8)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2017, 18:44:37 »

STEMO came from there. That's a good enough reason for me to avoid the place.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2017, 18:47:03 »

Lizzie, I quite believe your assessment of present day London; I try to keep away from there as much as possible now.
However, I was born in the East End back in the days whene the streets were in black and white and there were very few non-cockneys about; it's the immigrants who have made it the way you describe: not all of them, of course not, but..... :(

Ron.

The only thing is Ron that Liverpool is a VERY diverse City, but still ALL people I met, regardless of ethnic origin, were all the same. Very helpful, polite and friendly.  They reflected the very heart of Liverpool.

Why can't London foster that kind of mix I wonder? :-\ :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2017, 18:48:27 »

STEMO came from there. That's a good enough reason for me to avoid the place.  ;D

Poor STEMO.  The City is a credit to him and I  now wonder why so many Liverpudlians become famous and leave the place.  I certainly wouldn't! ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2017, 18:51:09 »

I used to go to and from there in the early 80,s on the ferry to / from Belfast. I was never smitten by the place tbh, but each to their own.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2017, 19:05:15 »

The waterfront is about to lose it's world heritage site status. They are going to build a terminal to accommodate ocean going liners and, apparently, the associated infrastructure will spoil the view.
So.....millions of pounds a year into the city, or keep our title....tough call......not.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2017, 19:49:44 »

The waterfront is about to lose it's world heritage site status. They are going to build a terminal to accommodate ocean going liners and, apparently, the associated infrastructure will spoil the view.
So.....millions of pounds a year into the city, or keep our title....tough call......not.

As far as I could see all development has added to the City, such as the fabulous Museum of Liverpool building.  I hope the new terminus maintains this trend, and the recorded guide on the Mersey Ferry seem to suggest it would.  If I was a Liverpudlian I would fight hard to retain the World Heritage status as, not only is it well deserved, but a liner terminal well designed will only add to it all.  The importance of keeping looking forward, not back, seems to have been well understood by this City.  Long may that continue :y 

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2017, 20:32:44 »

Sadly the city Council are just focused on expansion and building as much student accommodation as possible and some seriously beautiful architecture has been criminally lost due to some very big bribes dubious planning approvals, hence the world heritage status being threatened. Remember the Georgian terrace along Lime St and the futurist cinema Ste?  gone  :'(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2017, 20:38:21 »

Sadly the city Council are just focused on expansion and building as much student accommodation as possible and some seriously beautiful architecture has been criminally lost due to some very big bribes dubious planning approvals, hence the world heritage status being threatened. Remember the Georgian terrace along Lime St and the futurist cinema Ste?  gone  :'(
Was that where the Legs of Man was?

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2017, 20:39:38 »

Ah....I think you're talking across London Road from the Legs of Man.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2017, 20:41:28 »

Wrong thread  :-[
« Last Edit: 02 September 2017, 20:44:42 by STEMO »

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2017, 20:43:53 »

Never been to Liverpool but just spending a few days in Yorkshire & we have been saying similar things ,have done a lot of walking & everyone has acknowledged one another & stopped to chat so different to South London & even Lincolnshire where we now live.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2017, 20:54:58 »

Never been to Liverpool but just spending a few days in Yorkshire & we have been saying similar things ,have done a lot of walking & everyone has acknowledged one another & stopped to chat so different to South London & even Lincolnshire where we now live.

Yes, that is also what we found during our Yorkshire holiday last year.

It's all good up North! :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 September 2017, 20:55:39 »

I couldn't be doing with that. Ive lived in the South for too long now. I ignore people and expect them to do the same to me.
It upsets me when they don't adhere to this. Its uncivilised I tell ya.  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 September 2017, 21:18:02 »

Ron.

The only thing is Ron that Liverpool is a VERY diverse City, but still ALL people I met, regardless of ethnic origin, were all the same. Very helpful, polite and friendly.  They reflected the very heart of Liverpool.

Why can't London foster that kind of mix I wonder? :-\ :-\

If you find the answer to that question, please let me know!
All I can offer is......well, I don't know, really.

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 September 2017, 21:24:25 »

Ah....I think you're talking across London Road from the Legs of Man.

Next to Lime st from the crown pub to the grapes , aka the big house, all squished and replaced by glass n steel shite

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2017, 00:06:18 »

As people were talking about buildings being flattened I thought I'd look on google maps.. was I shocked when I went to the 2008 view of edge lane and what used to be there compared with now.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2017, 12:07:40 »

I'm glad to hear that Liverpool has become the safest low crime city in the whole of the country. :)

How times (and places) change.

About 30 years ago an old girlfriend was going to travel to Liverpool to buy a car. Almost everybody including her Mum, Dad, friends, etc.....etc....begged her not to go because they assumed she would be robbed or the car would be stolen.....or both. ;)

I suspect that 30 years ago STMO was still living there. :D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2017, 15:59:50 »

One thing I can say as a Manc who has lived in Miseryside between 1977 (aged 10) and 1989, and then again since 1998, is that I personally despise the Beatles. 

Ironic that someone thought fit to name the Airport after one of them, given that it was the 1st place that they went once they hit the big time.  Although to be fair, I like flying from Ringo Star's Flying Bus Station (as I like to call it). 

That said, my kids tell me that it's safe going clubing in the city.  And the nice people are nice.

I also note that it is impossible for me to find work at a decent* hourly rate, within 80 miles of the city and since going self employed in 2009, every contract has required me to live away from home during the week. 

*I recently applied for a contract in warrington with a rate described as "competitive" - it wasn't. it was £18 an hour less than my current work.

We often go to the Everyman Theatre, and to Zorbas (The greek) because I like them)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2017, 18:42:08 »

One thing I can say as a Manc who has lived in Miseryside between 1977 (aged 10) and 1989, and then again since 1998, is that I personally despise the Beatles. 

Ironic that someone thought fit to name the Airport after one of them, given that it was the 1st place that they went once they hit the big time.  Although to be fair, I like flying from Ringo Star's Flying Bus Station (as I like to call it). 

That said, my kids tell me that it's safe going clubing in the city.  And the nice people are nice.

I also note that it is impossible for me to find work at a decent* hourly rate, within 80 miles of the city and since going self employed in 2009, every contract has required me to live away from home during the week. 

*I recently applied for a contract in warrington with a rate described as "competitive" - it wasn't. it was £18 an hour less than my current work.

We often go to the Everyman Theatre, and to Zorbas (The greek) because I like them)
Not surprised they got out ASAP , Liverpool in the early sixties was a very different place to what it is now , the same as a lot of Northern cities

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 September 2017, 20:39:06 »

I couldn't be doing with that. Ive lived in the South for too long now. I ignore people and expect them to do the same to me.
It upsets me when they don't adhere to this. Its uncivilised I tell ya.  ;D

The whole theory of how this social interaction thing can get very complicated, is explained in hilarious detail below. Stick with it to the end. Its well worth it.  ;D
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pyuxh
« Last Edit: 04 September 2017, 20:42:45 by Migv6 »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2017, 20:56:58 »

Ron.

Its now being gentrified by the middle classes Ron.   ;)
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35hm0q

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2017, 20:49:01 »

Me and my wife and kids spent 1995 to 1998 living in the Yorkshire Dales. That is not friendliness , it's F**King noseyness.  They want to know all your business.  So they can make judgements and talk about you with their real friends.  Me and the wife used to play a game where one of us would tell someone something in confidence, and see how long it took to get back to the other.  Like "We can't afford a new car, so I suggested to my wife that she gets a job" would come back to her three days later with "Have you found a job yet?" and she'd say "Am I looking for a job ? That's news to me" and three days later it would get back to me as "So you won't be getting a new car then?" And I'd say "We'll just have to stop eating meat and save up" and then the lady in the shop would say "Oh are you treating yourselves this week?" when we bought some sausages... rather rude I call it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 September 2017, 22:09:40 »

Albs, that's because thet can't afford to buy in Holland Park areas where the refugees from that tower block fire are being housed by the council.
Also, as there is no longer industrial pollution blowing into the east End, the whole area is more salubrious - if you don't count the sea of muslems flooding along the Mile End road to the mosque every Sunday.....

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2017, 22:46:32 »

Watch the  video Ron.  ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 September 2017, 22:53:11 »

That video wouldn't open for me, so I can't!

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 September 2017, 23:07:18 »

Pity. Its very funny.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2017, 00:53:08 »

I'll try with a transcribing programme tomorrow.
"DailyMotion" - that's shit every day, isn't it?

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2017, 09:27:42 »

Watched both of the links this morning, hilarious. ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2017, 12:04:08 »

Me and my wife and kids spent 1995 to 1998 living in the Yorkshire Dales. That is not friendliness , it's F**King noseyness. They want to know all your business.  So they can make judgements and talk about you with their real friends.  Me and the wife used to play a game where one of us would tell someone something in confidence, and see how long it took to get back to the other.  Like "We can't afford a new car, so I suggested to my wife that she gets a job" would come back to her three days later with "Have you found a job yet?" and she'd say "Am I looking for a job ? That's news to me" and three days later it would get back to me as "So you won't be getting a new car then?" And I'd say "We'll just have to stop eating meat and save up" and then the lady in the shop would say "Oh are you treating yourselves this week?" when we bought some sausages... rather rude I call it.

Yes, that is, I believe, in areas of the North were "the Family" is still important, and that Family feeling extends across the local community.  It is them actually caring, and in a way taking you in to their local community. That is what good families do, and it is rather lovely.  Something we in the South have lost in the main, with everyone (Generalising here!) indifferent and rather uncaring in a self centred society.

Give me the attitudes of the North anyday, even if people appear to be "nosing" into your business a bit too much.  At least they care. ;)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2017, 01:49:49 »

Me and my wife and kids spent 1995 to 1998 living in the Yorkshire Dales. That is not friendliness , it's F**King noseyness. They want to know all your business.  So they can make judgements and talk about you with their real friends.  Me and the wife used to play a game where one of us would tell someone something in confidence, and see how long it took to get back to the other.  Like "We can't afford a new car, so I suggested to my wife that she gets a job" would come back to her three days later with "Have you found a job yet?" and she'd say "Am I looking for a job ? That's news to me" and three days later it would get back to me as "So you won't be getting a new car then?" And I'd say "We'll just have to stop eating meat and save up" and then the lady in the shop would say "Oh are you treating yourselves this week?" when we bought some sausages... rather rude I call it.

Yes, that is, I believe, in areas of the North were "the Family" is still important, and that Family feeling extends across the local community.  It is them actually caring, and in a way taking you in to their local community. That is what good families do, and it is rather lovely.  Something we in the South have lost in the main, with everyone (Generalising here!) indifferent and rather uncaring in a self centred society.

Give me the attitudes of the North anyday, even if people appear to be "nosing" into your business a bit too much.  At least they care. ;)

IME family is the centre except in London and the South East, especially with our current snowflake generation. The same also applies in the US. In most countries, mutual adversity bonds families (like my wife's Ukrainian family) as a cohesive protective unit against the world. Sadly, the south and the US is much 'poorer' for losing this most basic bond in society. :( :( :( It is getting worse along with non-speaking neighbours, dying out pubs and I'm not sure how we get our community's back? :-\ :-\ :-\
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2017, 10:21:43 »

IME family is the centre except in London and the South East, especially with our current snowflake generation. The same also applies in the US. In most countries, mutual adversity bonds families (like my wife's Ukrainian family) as a cohesive protective unit against the world. Sadly, the south and the US is much 'poorer' for losing this most basic bond in society. :( :( :( It is getting worse along with non-speaking neighbours, dying out pubs and I'm not sure how we get our community's back? :-\ :-\ :-\

War usually does it, or any other catastrophic event.  However, come to think about it, my mum always reckoned even in WW2 there were all too many in their East End of London community who were out for what they could get, and fxck the rest!
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.