Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky router  (Read 1362 times)

STEMO

Sky router
« on: 06 September 2017, 16:10:09 »

I have sky fibre and, if I do a speed check with an ethernet cable straight into the back of the router, I'm getting 39Mb. But the wifi signal around the house is pathetic, up to the point where I get a better signal from the wifi extender I put upstairs even if I'm in the room next to the router.

Question: Can I buy another router to replace the sky one? Will it be compatible?

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Sky router
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2017, 16:15:55 »

I`m not sure you can replace them but you should be able to piggyback a decent router on it to sort your problem, I did this with my Virgin Media router to sort out the crappy quality the VM provides.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2017, 16:21:21 »

Most sky installations now use MER so you cannot use you own router to replace the Sky one.  But you can disable to wifi and use your own wifi AP.

I am sure TB can give you a few Netgear recommendations for some Wifi APs  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2017, 16:57:38 »

Lot's of Sky networks around? Could try changing the channel  :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2017, 16:58:52 »

Most sky installations now use MER so you cannot use you own router to replace the Sky one.  But you can disable to wifi and use your own wifi AP.

I am sure TB can give you a few Netgear recommendations for some Wifi APs  ;D

+1 on that. My house has lots of very thick walls, so I've disabled the wifi on the router and have a number of access points connected via Cat 6 cables - works a treat  :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2017, 17:17:24 »

Been on to sky and they are sending me a replacement router to see if that improves things.
I liked the way they sent me a text, I followed a link, took a picture of the router and told him the reference number. Next thing he was commenting on my decor.  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2017, 07:59:10 »

I've always found the wifi signal from my sky router reasonable (for a "free" router) but I did set the channel manually to avoid any congestion. And there aren't that many houses around me.
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 September 2017, 13:15:11 »

As I've repeated so many times, ISP provided routers are universally shite, no exceptions*, and Sky's are between crap and mediocre within that category.

Its worth using an app to see what else is around, but most ISP routers will sit on one of the non overlapping channels, so doubt you'll have channel issues, unless your neighbour is a first class mongrel.

Get a dedicated AP (only), ideally one that can do AC.  And, yes, avoid Netgear, because all their networking stuff is shite.  Ubiquiti do some great APs, though many can be confusing to set up if you are familiar with wifi.

*free routers provided by ISPs - some ISPs such as A&A don't provide freebies, but can sell you a decent router.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2017, 20:28:54 »

Got my new router from sky. Guess what.....just the same as the old router. If I stand next to it, in the hall, my gaypad shows a nice big seashell top left. Walk into the living room, no more than eight feet away, but on the other side of a brick wall, down to next-to-fick-all.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2017, 20:53:51 »

Got my new router from sky. Guess what.....just the same as the old router. If I stand next to it, in the hall, my gaypad shows a nice big seashell top left. Walk into the living room, no more than eight feet away, but on the other side of a brick wall, down to next-to-fick-all.

As suggested earlier have you tried changing the channel it broadcasts on?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2017, 21:01:24 »

Lincs Robert

« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2017, 23:20:28 »

Something ain't right there. Most of the walls in my house are 2 foot thick (it's old) and made of stone. Router or AP will penetrate a single wall and cover the whole of the next room - but not go through two walls.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 September 2017, 12:47:10 »

I'm shocked and stunned it made no difference. NOT.

But its no doubt on the script that runs when you say the wifi is shite.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 09 September 2017, 13:16:25 »

There's a lot on the web about sky's routers not being up to much. It will have to do for now because, as long as sky delivers ~40G down the line, that's it as far as they are concerned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.