Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear Shock Absorber Mounting  (Read 1178 times)

ray

• Southampton
    • View Profile
Rear Shock Absorber Mounting
« on: 07 September 2017, 21:38:21 »

2.6 MV6 2002 Had N/S Rear Shock Absorber go up through the top mounting. Is there a source for the Shock Absorber Mounting Panel that is spot welded into the back panel. Started to look at Breakers but Rust seems to be on ones that l have seen. Can drill out spot welds and remove and replace with new if l can get one in good condition. Is it the same mounting on O/S or in Estates

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Rear Shock Absorber Mounting
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2017, 21:58:33 »

Bad luck. It happened to one of my cars 3 years ago. The repair did not seem trivial, and rust there suggested more rust elsewhere. I scrapped the car. Others since have suffered similar failures, and found bits that can be bought to repair it, but do look around the car for rust elsewhere.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 September 2017, 23:22:24 »

Estates completely different...

As Terry suggests, best course of action is to bin it. If you are looking to get another Omega, then there's plenty of spares on your current one, but that failure is about as fatal is it gets :'(

Hypothetically speaking, you can remove the top of the turret, but only option is to replace with another second hand one. For the effort, it simply isn't worth it.
Onanists always think outside the box.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2017, 23:54:12 »

have you got a photo?  i would have thought any decent welder could make up a replacement, wouldn't look as pretty but as long at the hole is in the right place and right distance from bottom mount.   however check for rust elsewhere first, if the other side is good maybe this is a one off but check sills etc anyway.. 

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 00:45:49 »

Had the same thing happen to a 94 saloon last year. Cut out the top of the tower from a much newer fl omega at the breakers yard and got a local bodyshop to cut out the old and weld in the new tower. Cost 1500 nok (150£) for the job. Rest of the car seemed ok and its still in daily use.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 06:42:24 »

It doesnt need rust there to happen, I sold an Omega to a friend that had the top end come through with no visible rust at all and no previous repairs in that area or anything.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2017, 08:39:02 »

It doesnt need rust there to happen, I sold an Omega to a friend that had the top end come through with no visible rust at all and no previous repairs in that area or anything.
It's a combination of fatigue and rust. The area which fails is welded between the two support cups where the shock bolts through. I suspect it is ultimately the result of driving with a badly worn topmount... knocking quickly becoming creaking/cracking as the sheet steel rends. Eventually one decent bump or pothole will punch the shock through. Also there's no rust protection between the layers and the cups are significantly thicker than the plate steel, which corrodes and weakens along the crack(s) before finally failing.  :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

ray

• Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2017, 09:23:56 »

Just passed MOT so would not like to scrap it off. Had 2 Carltons and this my 3rd Omega. Did look for another 2.6 MV6 but hard to find. Its the best of them all.
Have someone who is going to drill out welds and refit complete Tower if l can find a good one.
Off to scrap yard soon with loads of tools
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.