Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drinking problems.  (Read 3167 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
Drinking problems.
« on: 08 September 2017, 17:48:28 »

Hi all,have any of you had a problem with this what did you do apart from stop.I have always been a big drinker,but over the last two months its been heavy.On Wednesday i felt awful so i decided to quit,boy am i suffering now.Apart from the usual thing like shaking,sweating,ect i am more worried about.The constant pain in my stomach its stopping me eating and sleeping,i have 3 types of over the counter drugs.Omeprazole capsules,a powder called Recover,and paracetamol.Nothing will stop this constant pain,did any of you use some thing else.Dean.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking problems.
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2017, 17:53:22 »

Oh dear Dean, although I have never had that kind of addiction, mine was always with food, addictions are usually a sign of a serious underlying problem, either physical or psychologically.

Personally I would advise going to see your GP and telling him everything, especially as you are already on medication.

That is my advise, with some experience of these issues.

Hope you will feel better soon Dean ;)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2017, 17:57:41 »

Oh dear Dean, although I have never had that kind of addiction, mine was always with food, addictions are usually a sign of a serious underlying problem, either physical or psychologically.

Personally I would advise going to see your GP and telling him everything, especially as you are already on medication.

That is my advise, with some experience of these issues.

Hope you will feel better soon Dean ;)
Thanks Lizzie,but trying to get an appointment at my docs is a nightmare.Online it says next available 3 weeks time  >:( :(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2017, 18:04:04 »

Tell them that it's an emergency; you are having huge physical and psychological problems and if no appoint ment, you will have to go to the hospital's A&E department.
That will reflect badly on them and you could be amazed at the ready co-operation you then get!

Ron.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2017, 18:11:09 »

Yep, its a genuine emergency. You shouldn't have to wait 3 weeks for an appointment. Ive never suffered this problem, but Ive seen it.
Its a battle you can win, and need to win.
I wish you all the best with it.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2017, 18:15:08 »

Get help Dean, PLEASE!
My near neighbour had a drink problem; not any more though, they buried him last week.  :(

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2017, 18:26:54 »

Thanks for the reply's i intend to get help,but just phoned my docs closed till Mon.There is a walk in clinic here in hartlepool maybe they will see me,just want to get some sleep and eat something.I have not eaten or slept for two days,but i do realize its of my own making.Dean.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2017, 18:29:38 »

Have to echo sentiments of others here.Get help as soon as possible,this thing can be beaten with the right help and if necessary medication.Admittedly I was never a heavy drinker in the first place but gave it up when I passed my test 40 odd years ago and have never regretted doing so,although I was severly tempted to use it when Maureen died a couple of years ago,but managed to resist which is probably a good thing.Anyhow I sincerely hope you get sorted soon fella.
have just seen your last post and I'd say yes go to the walk in clinic and camp there if you have to in order to get seen.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2017, 18:33:25 »

First, nobody on the internet is better than your GP.

However, if the pain is kind of crampy and in waves IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is a possibility. The exact cause of IBS is not really known but it is very often related to changes in circumstances and stress.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2017, 18:39:26 »

First, nobody on the internet is better than your GP.

However, if the pain is kind of crampy and in waves IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is a possibility. The exact cause of IBS is not really known but it is very often related to changes in circumstances and stress.
Funny you should say this as,work is crap at the moment and life is not much better.It is cramp y and come in waves so you may well be right.Dean.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2017, 18:54:49 »

Been there, done that, worn the tee shirt and stared in the video mate  ;)
10 years ago, I was a oppsed in the head bunny boiler who wanted to kill people because I drunk EVERY NIGHT and never faced upto the big heap of shit I had made for myself .........

For starters, you have admitted you have a drink problem so that's half the battle won and don't forget that bit  :y :y

Without teaching you to suck eggs, alcohol is a depressant.
Most people have been there, some (including me) have tried to drink away problems.
Trouble is, when you sober up the problems are still there and if its money they are probably worse so stay off the booze FULL STOP mate.

As for medication ............. stop taking everything now !
Your not a doctor and the chemist can only treat you based on what symptoms you give them (and make a few quid too  :-X)
If the pain gets too much, 'dangle berries' to the queue and walk / crawl into casualty.

Its friggin hard at first mate.
The first few alcohol free nights are scary as hell with the amount of shit that will go through your head but believe me, when your body adjusts to work without alcohol, you will have the best nights sleep you have ever had and when you wake up, things will seem a lot clearer and that's when you can start to sort out your life  :)

« Last Edit: 08 September 2017, 19:01:46 by tigers_gonads »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2017, 19:04:03 »

Saw an advert on the T/V recently about staying sober for October, Don,t know if you have to sign up for anything or get any support. Get your stomach sorted ASAP then find out a bit more. HTH. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2017, 19:10:26 »

I think that long term use of Omeprazole can cause stomach aches.  I get it on prescription and was taking it every day, but started to get stomach aches, so stopped taking them and now only take them as and when.  The stomach aches seemed to have cleared up.   :y  That said check with your Dr.  :)

Well done for admitting to yourself that you have a problem.  It's a vital and brave first step on the road to recovery!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2017, 19:17:00 »

I enjoy a drink in moderation but tend to sleep better when I don't drink.

Two reasons.

1. Less to piss out which can disturb sleep two or three times a night. I have known heavy drinkers who are so pissed they don't bother with the toilet and 'wet the bed' instead. :-\
2. Alcohol produces poor quality fragmented sleep.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2017, 19:24:45 »

Been there, done that, worn the tee shirt and stared in the video mate  ;)
10 years ago, I was a oppsed in the head bunny boiler who wanted to kill people because I drunk EVERY NIGHT and never faced upto the big heap of shit I had made for myself .........

For starters, you have admitted you have a drink problem so that's half the battle won and don't forget that bit  :y :y

Without teaching you to suck eggs, alcohol is a depressant.
Most people have been there, some (including me) have tried to drink away problems.
Trouble is, when you sober up the problems are still there and if its money they are probably worse so stay off the booze FULL STOP mate.

As for medication ............. stop taking everything now !
Your not a doctor and the chemist can only treat you based on what symptoms you give them (and make a few quid too  :-X)
If the pain gets too much, 'dangle berries' to the queue and walk / crawl into casualty.

Its friggin hard at first mate.
The first few alcohol free nights are scary as hell with the amount of shit that will go through your head but believe me, when your body adjusts to work without alcohol, you will have the best nights sleep you have ever had and when you wake up, things will seem a lot clearer and that's when you can start to sort out your life  :)
Thanks for that mate,very much appreciated.Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 September 2017, 19:35:27 »

In my student days, I used to drink a little - what student doesn't - and I do mean a little, mainly because I don't like drink all that much, especially as they no longer make Watney's Cream label  :'(
When I got a job that required me to drive most of the day, I gave up drinking altogether because if I were ever involved in a accident, I would surly get the blame, regardless, if I smelled of alcohol - then, no job!
I've never really got back into the habit of drinking now.

Ron.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 September 2017, 20:28:20 »

Moggy can I ask how much you have been drinking daily for the last few weeks i.e. what and how many, if it's a large amount you really shouldn't stop suddenly as it can be extremely dangerous , pm me if necessary , I have some professional experience in this area 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 08 September 2017, 20:32:07 »

Moggy can I ask how much you have been drinking daily for the last few weeks i.e. what and how many, if it's a large amount you really shouldn't stop suddenly as it can be extremely dangerous , pm me if necessary , I have some professional experience in this area
So do I, and all the professional, well-meaning help in the world doesn't amount to anything much at all. In the end, there's only one person who can help, and we all know who that is.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 September 2017, 20:37:35 »

Indeed Steve but there's a 48 hr window period where he could quite easily Kark it if he's been battering it, hence me asking the questions I asked !
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 08 September 2017, 20:42:30 »

I've heard that said before, Jon, but when I was at the Windsor clinic there were fellas (and girls) who would make Oliver Reed look like an amateur, and all they got was Librium, soup and plenty of liquids. It takes months, yes months to get back to normal if you've been at it for years, but only you can do it, no one else.

I still maintain it's harder to give up smoking, that nearly drove me fickin mad.

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 08 September 2017, 20:45:45 »

These pains in your 'stomach', Dean. Did they start before or after you took the omeprazole?
I was on nexium  a while back, in fact there's a thread about it somewhere. For the first three/four days, you get stomach ache.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 08 September 2017, 20:47:57 »

Omeprazole is for stomach ulcers and acid reflux, so were you prescribed them for this, because the quacks are giving them out like smarties, and they shouldn't be.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 September 2017, 20:48:54 »

These pains in your 'stomach', Dean. Did they start before or after you took the omeprazole?
I was on nexium  a while back, in fact there's a thread about it somewhere. For the first three/four days, you get stomach ache.
After Ste.

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 08 September 2017, 20:51:16 »

After Ste.
Well there's your answer. If you keep taking them, the pains will go, but make sure you need to be taking them, because they are a 'cure all' at the moment and they are quite a strong drug.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2017, 20:52:33 »

I've heard that said before, Jon, but when I was at the Windsor clinic there were fellas (and girls) who would make Oliver Reed look like an amateur, and all they got was Librium, soup and plenty of liquids. It takes months, yes months to get back to normal if you've been at it for years, but only you can do it, no one else.

I still maintain it's harder to give up smoking, that nearly drove me fickin mad.

Librium is a Benzodiazapine and cancels out the risk of seizures Ste, the major risk I was concerned about 

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 September 2017, 20:54:24 »

So do I, and all the professional, well-meaning help in the world doesn't amount to anything much at all. In the end, there's only one person who can help, and we all know who that is.
I know that Ste,and i will sort it thanks for asking.As for amounts i  am ashamed to say it depended on how i felt,but 6 to8 cans of strong larger plus a bottle of wine every day.Dean.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2017, 21:00:11 »

I know that Ste,and i will sort it thanks for asking.As for amounts i  am ashamed to say it depended on how i felt,but 6 to8 cans of strong larger plus a bottle of wine every day.Dean.
That's a lot, Dean, especially if you never laid of it for at least a few days each week. Don't post any more on here, it's not the right place. If you're serious, rest up for the weekend, drink loads of water, take some diuralyte to get rehydrated and get an appointment with the nurse at your local surgery. She will be the one to put you in touch with the right people.

STEMO

« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2017, 21:05:21 »

Librium is a Benzodiazapine and cancels out the risk of seizures Ste, the major risk I was concerned about
I didn't know that, Jon, but failing going to A&E on a Friday night, where he will probably be told to eff off, he ain't getting any till Monday.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 September 2017, 21:08:13 »

That's a lot, Dean, especially if you never laid of it for at least a few days each week. Don't post any more on here, it's not the right place. If you're serious, rest up for the weekend, drink loads of water, take some diuralyte to get rehydrated and get an appointment with the nurse at your local surgery. She will be the one to put you in touch with the right people.
Thanks mate will do.Dean.

STEMO

« Reply #29 on: 08 September 2017, 21:12:41 »

My last word, Dean, if you don't knock it on the head or slow down, a lot, you are in for a miserable existence, and so are your family. Apart from the physical side of things, liver, kidneys, heart, etc., it will f**k your brain up and the mental side of things can get really bad.

I stopped just in time, that's why I'm such a healthy, well-adjusted individual.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 September 2017, 21:21:41 »

My last word, Dean, if you don't knock it on the head or slow down, a lot, you are in for a miserable existence, and so are your family. Apart from the physical side of things, liver, kidneys, heart, etc., it will f**k your brain up and the mental side of things can get really bad.

I stopped just in time, that's why I'm such a healthy, well-adjusted individual.  ;D

It's unusual for a scouser to be dependent on grog. I thought bible class and clean living was more the norm. ::) ::) ;)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2017, 23:33:49 »

PM'd you some info

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2017, 12:44:41 »

Hi all,just wanted thank everyone for there help and advice.It has been 3 days now since i had a drink and i feel a lot better,but i know i am not out of the woods yet.I have also decided to tackle this head on,so first no drink for at least 2 months.Second i am not taking any more over the counter medicine,i am going to go to the walkin clinic to get professional advice on what the problem is.I am also going to book a full MOT with my doctor,when i can get in.Once again thanks all Dean.PS there is a party at mine tonight and you are all invited ;D ;D.   

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2017, 14:25:51 »

Hi all,just wanted thank everyone for there help and advice.It has been 3 days now since i had a drink and i feel a lot better,but i know i am not out of the woods yet.I have also decided to tackle this head on,so first no drink for at least 2 months.Second i am not taking any more over the counter medicine,i am going to go to the walkin clinic to get professional advice on what the problem is.I am also going to book a full MOT with my doctor,when i can get in.Once again thanks all Dean.PS there is a party at mine tonight and you are all invited ;D ;D.

Bring your own bottle ? 

But, that all sounds sensible to me.  :y

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2017, 14:43:49 »

Well chuffed you have survived 3 days without the booze dean  :y
Hope you can totally avoid it for a good few weeks (or more) and once you start to get your sober head around life's problems, enjoy it in a social way again.

Me personally didn't touch a drop for a good 6 months partly due to the oppsed up nightmares I had when I was drinking  :(

In fact, one of the most enlightening experiences was actually going out in a group and drinking soft drinks all night.
watching how people change even after a few beers can be friggin hilarious trust me and things like this make a sober night out worth it  :y :y
Now days, i've learnt to spot the signs when i'm getting stressed out / had a shit day and unlike before when i'd have anywhere from a couple of cans upto half a case, I just go to bed on a cup of tea  ;D ;D
Works a treat too  :y :y

Keep smiling bud  :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 18 queries.