Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 10 / thumb drive question  (Read 1779 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Win 10 / thumb drive question
« on: 10 September 2017, 17:49:55 »

I've a thumb drive that I use for music ect and is normally plugged into either the tablet or front of the car head unit.

Recently, its been getting confused ..........
Album tracks in the wrong order, albums with 2 totally different artists merging ect.

With me been a genus at these things, I thought i'd plug the drive into the pc and do a defrag.

Tried it and computer says defag on this drive is not available  >:(

Help  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 September 2017, 17:56:21 by tigers_gonads »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 / thumb drive question
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2017, 18:46:43 »

Doesn't need Defragmenting, if you did manage to do it it may corrupt files anyway.

If it was me I would back up your contents of the drive (assuming you dont do regular back ups of the drive, which you should do but you know that already  ;)), format it, do a Crystal Mark test or similar on it, and if all good, reformat and start all over again.

Other thing it could be is have you plugged into A N Other device(s) that have recognized it as Media and written there own options or hidden folders for there own use on the drive?

Other wise could just be a failing drive.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2017, 18:52:17 by zirk »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2017, 21:51:29 »

Doesn't need Defragmenting, if you did manage to do it it may corrupt files anyway.

If it was me I would back up your contents of the drive (assuming you dont do regular back ups of the drive, which you should do but you know that already  ;)), format it, do a Crystal Mark test or similar on it, and if all good, reformat and start all over again.

Other thing it could be is have you plugged into A N Other device(s) that have recognized it as Media and written there own options or hidden folders for there own use on the drive?

Other wise could just be a failing drive.

Good point that  :y

I've had music, films and various shit on it at various times.
I'll have a play next week if I get chance  :y

Cheers Chris  :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2017, 00:20:29 »

I always regard memory sticks or whatever you want to call them as unreliable and disposable, and I always keep a complete copy on my hard drive, sometimes also on external drive. Trust nothing, everything fails eventually.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2017, 19:21:07 »

I always regard memory sticks or whatever you want to call them as unreliable and disposable, and I always keep a complete copy on my hard drive, sometimes also on external drive. Trust nothing, everything fails eventually.

So do I as a rule Rog
This one is only 6 months old and wasn't cheap either  ::)
Oh well .............    In life, shit happens  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2017, 20:11:09 »

So do I as a rule Rog

Iuse these little USB babies from Kingston, they normally come free with some Mini SD Cards or you can buy a pack on there own.

They makes use of all your Mini SD Cards kicking around which then become a Thumb Drive.  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2017, 21:53:46 »

So do I as a rule Rog

Iuse these little USB babies from Kingston, they normally come free with some Mini SD Cards or you can buy a pack on there own.

They makes use of all your Mini SD Cards kicking around which then become a Thumb Drive.  :y

Mmm
Clever  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2017, 10:36:03 »

I bought 2 Transcend Jet Flash 3 usb sticks and I`m impressed with their speed, I had an issue with one when transfer speeds dropped so I used the app from the Transcend website to scan and fix and now it works as before.

As for you music I would agree with what Zirk said about other devices changing the folders.

I had an issue with Windows media player screwing up my albums, everything was fine for a couple of weeks then for some reason didn`t recognize around 20 albums and just put all the tracks into the U section as unknown  >:( after I had renamed them all and put them back into their respective albums Windows waited a couple of weeks and did the same again.  I don`t use Windows Media Player anymore....ever  >:(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2017, 10:59:28 »

I bought 2 Transcend Jet Flash 3 usb sticks and I`m impressed with their speed, I had an issue with one when transfer speeds dropped so I used the app from the Transcend website to scan and fix and now it works as before.

As for you music I would agree with what Zirk said about other devices changing the folders.

I had an issue with Windows media player screwing up my albums, everything was fine for a couple of weeks then for some reason didn`t recognize around 20 albums and just put all the tracks into the U section as unknown  >:( after I had renamed them all and put them back into their respective albums Windows waited a couple of weeks and did the same again.  I don`t use Windows Media Player anymore....ever  >:(

iTunes is good for doing that as well, years back I had external 2TB Hard Bak Up drive, I had already backed a lot of stuff up including some HD Disk Images and some Password protected Folders, iTunes had managed to gets its hand on the drive after it was plugged in overnight doing some of my own back ups. Net result was a totally confused drive with a lot missing and corrupted Folders as iTunes had decided to make it a removable Media Drive for its own use.  :o >:(

To this day I will not touch iTunes with a barge pole and its going no where near any of my devices.  >:( >:(

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2017, 11:07:14 »

iTunes is good for doing that as well, years back I had external 2TB Hard Bak Up drive, I had already backed a lot of stuff up including some HD Disk Images and some Password protected Folders, iTunes had managed to gets its hand on the drive after it was plugged in overnight doing some of my own back ups. Net result was a totally confused drive with a lot missing and corrupted Folders as iTunes had decided to make it a removable Media Drive for its own use.  :o >:(

To this day I will not touch iTunes with a barge pole and its going no where near any of my devices.  >:( >:(

Ouch  :o

I use iTunes just for my media for my iPod`s, so far (touch wood) I haven`t had an issue, but Apple products do tend to have an issue with trying to change things, I just make sure that the only box checked during set up is the one for mp3 files so it can`t touch anything else.

I like Windows Media Player I just don`t trust it anymore but I can`t work out why it was a couple of weeks later it decided it didn`t know the albums and not as I was adding them  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2017, 12:51:11 »

iTunes is the work of the devil.

crApple software on Windows should be avoided at all costs, as it will munch your files, and add so many vulnerabilities...
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2017, 14:42:49 »

iTunes is the work of the devil.

crApple software on Windows should be avoided at all costs, as it will munch your files, and add so many vulnerabilities...

Unfortunately I can`t think of another option that works as well for getting my tunes onto my iPod, I tried Media Monkey but hated it so I went back to iTunes.

All my music is on another internal drive and as far as I can tell it will only access the drive you use for music once you start adding files and folders.

As for adding vulnerabilities, it is something I would only find out about when it`s too late as I don`t work in IT
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.