Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the point......  (Read 3520 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point......
« Reply #30 on: 22 September 2017, 22:44:15 »

It seems as though you'd prefer the "Brexit negotiators" just cough up the £100 billion and roll over on all the other points that the EU are being so intransigent about in their absurd phased 'negotiations'.  ::)

If they did that though, it would really prove your point about the UK becoming diminished and irrelevant!  ;)  ::)

Definitely not, my preference would be that we are not doing it at all. But that is not the reality. That said, I will not be jumping on the "we're all in this together" bandwagon, that isn't how these things work. I don't think £100bn is the number, but equally I don't thing just walking away is a viable option either as, regardless of how the next 4-10yrs pan out we will need a relationship with the eu going forward.

We are, what 25% through the process and "we" have already given way on a number of key pieces of the "brexit means brexit" cobblers of 2016. Many more pieces will doubtless follow. It is their club and their rules, which one way or another we will play by sooner or later.

I agree. :y

What so many people in this country expect is everything in an instant.  They believe in the simple and ignore all laws, standards, honour and decency.  They believe, I think, that we the British have still got an empire and every country should obey our demands at an instant, with our gun boats going in if they do not adhere to our wishes.

We lost our absolute power, at the latest, in 1956, when we were proved to be absolutely reliant on the USA.  In 1975 the Government of the day, in the shape of Edward Heath, signed away, with the blessing of the majority of the population, our independent rights to enter the Common Market.  Since then the Country by way of the elected government of the day, have gone along with it all, tightening our legal and economic ties because it suited us.

Now those who voted to leave the EU are now finding out how naive they were in apparently thinking it would be a simple process to untie the knot. Remainers like me had the foresight to ignore all the bullshit of tempting offers by a certain sect of politicians and recognise how complicated leaving would be, predicting we would be financially worse of.

So the Brexiteers are not happy with how it is going?  What a surprise, and I for one have no sympathy with them. They created this strange political bed, so let them lie on it!!

As I keep on referring to:

Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

III
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
   Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
   Rode the six hundred.

Quite simply it is like a bad marriage.easiest thing is to keep your head down and minimise the pain having failed to make changes. Making the break takes guts and life is uncertain for a while but does go on. People dont like uncertainty , that is why so many stick with a bad marriage. Unfortunately both sides are using uncertainty as a tool. The only thing that has been agreed so far apparently is what will happen to the people caught up in this. Except no one has told us what has been agreed!

I still stand by my assertion the day the result was announced that the establishment are working to keep us in the EU. Mays about turns are just a part of that. As is Blair popping up now and then in the EUcorridors.  What odds are there for PM Vince Cable?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2017, 01:20:41 »

What odds are there for PM Vince Cable?

100/1  They were talking about this on Question Time on Thursday night.  ;)

What a decision,  PM Cable or PM Corbyn!  :o  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2017, 14:43:21 »

It seems as though you'd prefer the "Brexit negotiators" just cough up the £100 billion and roll over on all the other points that the EU are being so intransigent about in their absurd phased 'negotiations'.  ::)

If they did that though, it would really prove your point about the UK becoming diminished and irrelevant!  ;)  ::)

Definitely not, my preference would be that we are not doing it at all. But that is not the reality. That said, I will not be jumping on the "we're all in this together" bandwagon, that isn't how these things work. I don't think £100bn is the number, but equally I don't thing just walking away is a viable option either as, regardless of how the next 4-10yrs pan out we will need a relationship with the eu going forward.

We are, what 25% through the process and "we" have already given way on a number of key pieces of the "brexit means brexit" cobblers of 2016. Many more pieces will doubtless follow. It is their club and their rules, which one way or another we will play by sooner or later.

I agree. :y

What so many people in this country expect is everything in an instant.  They believe in the simple and ignore all laws, standards, honour and decency.  They believe, I think, that we the British have still got an empire and every country should obey our demands at an instant, with our gun boats going in if they do not adhere to our wishes.

We lost our absolute power, at the latest, in 1956, when we were proved to be absolutely reliant on the USA.  In 1975 the Government of the day, in the shape of Edward Heath, signed away, with the blessing of the majority of the population, our independent rights to enter the Common Market.  Since then the Country by way of the elected government of the day, have gone along with it all, tightening our legal and economic ties because it suited us.

Now those who voted to leave the EU are now finding out how naive they were in apparently thinking it would be a simple process to untie the knot. Remainers like me had the foresight to ignore all the bullshit of tempting offers by a certain sect of politicians and recognise how complicated leaving would be, predicting we would be financially worse of.

So the Brexiteers are not happy with how it is going?  What a surprise, and I for one have no sympathy with them. They created this strange political bed, so let them lie on it!!

As I keep on referring to:

Forward, the Light Brigade!”
Was there a man dismayed?
Not though the soldier knew
   Someone had blundered.
   Theirs not to make reply,
   Theirs not to reason why,
   Theirs but to do and die.
   Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.

III
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
   Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
   Rode the six hundred.

Quite simply it is like a bad marriage.easiest thing is to keep your head down and minimise the pain having failed to make changes. Making the break takes guts and life is uncertain for a while but does go on. People dont like uncertainty , that is why so many stick with a bad marriage. Unfortunately both sides are using uncertainty as a tool. The only thing that has been agreed so far apparently is what will happen to the people caught up in this. Except no one has told us what has been agreed!

I still stand by my assertion the day the result was announced that the establishment are working to keep us in the EU. Mays about turns are just a part of that. As is Blair popping up now and then in the EUcorridors.  What odds are there for PM Vince Cable?

I believe you are right as there is a growing public and political movement for at least a final referendum on the terms of leaving OR NOT, once we arrive at the end of "negotiations" and the public have a chance to really understand what is at stake and the consequences.

Vince Cable PM?  He would be a good one, but Tony Blair is the one to watch and Corbyn is a big no no! ::) ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2017, 14:48:49 »

Stranger things have happened. Look at Macron. No party to being in power.

What really surprised me was that a new party " brexit party" and by the same rationale " no Brexit party"werent born after the vote. Torys, lib dems and labour are so old hat. I suppose it costs so much nowadays to form a new party.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2017, 18:20:56 »

I think Nigel Farage is more likely to make a comeback than Blair who is probably the most unpopular person in British politics since Julius Caesar!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2017, 18:36:02 »

I think Nigel Farage is more likely to make a comeback than Blair who is probably the most unpopular person in British politics since Julius Caesar!  ::) ;D

What's particularly interesting is that he's tried to be the 'saviour of British politics' a couple of times this year, and the public's  reaction went from simple disbelief to just ignoring him. Of course his patronising attitude that only he understands all the issues well enough to explain why we're all wrong only exacerbates the effect. Hopefully we've seen the last of him.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.