Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reconditioned laptops  (Read 881 times)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
Reconditioned laptops
« on: 25 September 2017, 10:56:37 »

What are people’s views on these ? I have an old laptop which needs replacing .It is not dutiable to upgrade to windows 10 ( it is running vista basic )
I don’t want to spend a fortune on a new laptop but I don’t want a cheap new one with no memory so I was looking around and found a few sites selling recon laptops with win 10 on but not sure if they are a good idea they come with warranty for a year so they can’t be too bad a risk can they

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Reconditioned laptops
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2017, 11:34:42 »

Not had a problem with the two I've bought in the past. Important that you understand the specifications and can judge their performance including processor benchmarks as there is IME a big variation in performance for very little changes in price. Memory and HDD are ungradable whereas the screen, motherboard and processor are effectively fixed. Avoid AMD processors as have been slow compared with Intel for several generations of mobile processors.

Others of here with more experience of the different brands will be able to give you advice on that.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2017, 17:17:52 »

Know what spec you need, and then make a judgement.  2nd hand laptops are rarely good value (ignoring niche needs like car diags etc).

For general internet browsing and email, I'd be looking at a minimum of:

3rd gen Core i3
2Gb RAM
No discrete video adapter (i.e., you want to use the one built in the CPU)
SSD of a usable size for your needs, generally at least 120Gb, more if you want a lot of photos/music/video on. Don't bother with traditional HDD, unsuitable for Win10

"Old Trusty", my 10 yr old HP 6720s that I'm about to boot up to get in the bath (this poxy MacBook is too unstable on the edge of the bath), is a Core Duo 2Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 965 chipset/video and 120Gb SSD...   ...so doesn't meet the spec I've given. But I've tuned it to run at a reasonably sensible speed, but browsing sites littered with ads (most forums, and egay etc) do make it stutter badly, due to lack of shear CPU grunt.
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2017, 17:43:41 »

I bought a reconditioned 10" Asus laptop last year off of ebay last year for £50 for travelling with and it's been great!  :y

If buying from ebay check the sellers feedback carefully though and how long have they been trading.  Avoid those with little feedback or those who have just popped up. ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2017, 20:17:11 »

I,ve got a Dell Latitude D630 recon that my lad got me. Had it about 4yrs, still good. Hope i havn,t jinxed it ::)

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2017, 23:39:27 »

I decided on a dell too a latitude E6420 widescreen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.