Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cookery experts?  (Read 3544 times)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Re: Cookery experts?
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2017, 18:22:43 »

Don't bother pre soaking lasagne sheets even if they are the pre soak ones after 35 years in the catering trade and cooking thousands of portions of lasagne I find that the pasta absorbs enough moisture  from the sauce's to cook it to perfection :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2017, 19:35:12 »

Don't bother pre soaking lasagne sheets even if they are the pre soak ones after 35 years in the catering trade and cooking thousands of portions of lasagne I find that the pasta absorbs enough moisture  from the sauce's to cook it to perfection :y

I understand that in the mass catering industry methods of cooking can be different, but in domestic and resturant catering standards are higher as costs can be absorbed and justified easier.

I have been cooking for at least 55 years, and all the receipes for Lasagna in the domestic arena specify cooking the main meat mix, then cheese sauce separately , bringing them together with the pasta sheets cooked or at least soaked (as I do) in salted boiling water for a time dependant on type, for example fresh pasta sheets for about 5 minutes.  Some receipes may specify that you leave the assembled mix to stand for about 6 hours, but us busy mums let the soaked fresh pasta sheets absorb the flavours in the extra cooking of an already hot mix for an additional 10 minutes, or until happy with texture and appearance, which in turn depends on your oven being fan assisted or not.

So what you do in the factory mass catering environment may well be different, as I am sure at least your ovens are operating in a different way than a domestic oven, and the methods used to assemble the lasagna mix in the first place reflect commercial requirements :y

« Last Edit: 23 September 2017, 19:38:43 by Lizzie Zoom »

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2017, 21:46:53 »

2nd that  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2017, 21:56:23 »

3rd-ed.  I have been making lasagne for over 20 years and never once pre-soaked the pasta sheets.  One thing I would advise is to melt in some grated parmesan as well as cheddar in to the cheese sauce you add to each layer and the topping.  I also find that it is better if you make the bolognaise a day before and let it cool completely before using whether that's for lasagne or just straight spag bol.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 September 2017, 11:48:05 »

Yep, I always just put the dry lasagne sheets in-between the sauces and then cook in the oven.

Clearly no write or wrong on this one as both methods work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 September 2017, 14:30:21 »

Yep, I always just put the dry lasagne sheets in-between the sauces and then cook in the oven.

Clearly no write or wrong on this one as both methods work.

I cannot argue with that.  It is what works the best for each cook / chef :y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 September 2017, 14:56:41 »

3rd-ed.  I have been making lasagne for over 20 years and never once pre-soaked the pasta sheets.  One thing I would advise is to melt in some grated parmesan as well as cheddar in to the cheese sauce you add to each layer and the topping.  I also find that it is better if you make the bolognaise a day before and let it cool completely before using whether that's for lasagne or just straight spag bol.

4 th'd . That allows it to fester :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2017, 15:38:37 »

I understand that in the mass catering industry methods of cooking can be different, but in domestic and resturant catering standards are higher as costs can be absorbed and justified easier.

I have been cooking for at least 55 years, and all the receipes for Lasagna in the domestic arena specify cooking the main meat mix, then cheese sauce separately , bringing them together with the pasta sheets cooked or at least soaked (as I do) in salted boiling water for a time dependant on type, for example fresh pasta sheets for about 5 minutes.  Some receipes may specify that you leave the assembled mix to stand for about 6 hours, but us busy mums let the soaked fresh pasta sheets absorb the flavours in the extra cooking of an already hot mix for an additional 10 minutes, or until happy with texture and appearance, which in turn depends on your oven being fan assisted or not.

So what you do in the factory mass catering environment may well be different, as I am sure at least your ovens are operating in a different way than a domestic oven, and the methods used to assemble the lasagna mix in the first place reflect commercial requirements :y

Lizzie you still don't say how you stop them sticking together during your softening process. :-\

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 September 2017, 16:18:45 »

Lizzie you still don't say how you stop them sticking together during your softening process. :-\

In post #11 i said:

"With fresh pasta sheets purchased from the main supermarkets they come with waterproof separates between each sheet (often 6 in a pack).

You place the cold sheets in a baking dish and pour on boiling water and leave for 3/5 minutes.  You then carefully drain the water off and lift each sheet in turn as you place in your lasagna dish, disposing of the separator sheets." 

Hope this helps Shackeng :y :y

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 September 2017, 16:36:59 »

If all else fails buy lamb mince/aubergines & make a Moussaka ;)
Curry makes the world go round!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 September 2017, 19:16:50 »

In post #11 i said:

"With fresh pasta sheets purchased from the main supermarkets they come with waterproof separates between each sheet (often 6 in a pack).

You place the cold sheets in a baking dish and pour on boiling water and leave for 3/5 minutes.  You then carefully drain the water off and lift each sheet in turn as you place in your lasagna dish, disposing of the separator sheets." 

Thanks Lizzie, I should perhaps have mentioned that these are gluten free pasta sheets for SWMBO, and come without seperators. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2017, 19:18:54 »

Sorry for delayed replies, all very helpful, thanks. I will try to incorporate most if not all of these in my cooking. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2017, 20:05:38 »

In post #11 i said:

Thanks Lizzie, I should perhaps have mentioned that these are gluten free pasta sheets for SWMBO, and come without seperators. :y

Ah, that is different. I would then suggest you try and put grease proof paper or tin foil between each sheet ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2017, 20:29:10 »

Men cooking ! ??  :o This is a new one on me.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.