Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-war class divide in Britain in 1937.  (Read 1671 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Pre-war class divide in Britain in 1937.
« on: 28 September 2017, 12:25:31 »

......I'm sure they all became best of mates and went scrumping apples together after this picture was taken. ::) ::) ::)

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/toffs-and-toughs-1937/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-war class divide in Britain in 1937.
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2017, 12:30:37 »

Sorry Opti, but my F Secure is blocking this link as it is apparently harmful :(

Have you another link please? ;)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2017, 12:33:12 »

If you read the story that goes with the picture the scruffs had a better life than the toffs in the end , the posh boy looking towards the camera died a couple of years later and the other posh kid ended up in a mental hospital years later .

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2017, 12:36:42 »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2017, 12:45:58 »

That top hat suited you Opti   ::)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2017, 13:02:27 »

That top hat suited you Opti   ::)

They must have based Lord Snooty from the Beano on this image, Mr Rog. ::) ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2017, 13:20:14 »

Here's a link to another site with the picture, Lizzie. :-* :-* :-* :y

http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/culture/10-lords-stereotypes/viewgallery/1443627

Thanks Opti! :-* :-* :y

Great picture which does tell a real story of social history in this country.  The ruling classes ensured they maintained that rule through schools / colleges like Eaton and Harrow. They trained the future leaders of the Empire, and it is true many battles were won by way of what happened on the playing fields of those establishments. 

Again a great picture! 8)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2017, 13:24:01 »

If you read the story that goes with the picture the scruffs had a better life than the toffs in the end , the posh boy looking towards the camera died a couple of years later and the other posh kid ended up in a mental hospital years later .

So many of them would also die, together, on the battle fields of the Great War.  That was a real leveler, and indeed sowed the seeds for great social change in Great Britain, and, via WW2, also led to the loss of the Empire. ;)

PS I know the picture in question was apparently taken in 1937, but my comments are made on the basis that this is a timeless picture of how it once was in those far off days.  That picture could have been taken in 1907 as little had really changed between then and 1937, with the big change coming after 1945. ;)
« Last Edit: 28 September 2017, 13:33:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2017, 13:46:12 »

Sorry Opti, but my F Secure is blocking this link as it is apparently harmful :(

whereas this from the bottom of the page is horrific  >:( >:( >:(

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/father-hand-belgian-congo-1904/

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2017, 14:01:23 »

Heartbreaking. What a shit world we live in.  :(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2017, 14:24:49 »

Heartbreaking. What a shit world they lived in.  :(

FTFY

Absolutely appalling, however it was the "norm" for the time and should be, to some extent, viewed in that context. Attempts to re-write history using our present day "values" are a) pointless and b) hypocritical .....  I could give many examples but will limit myself to just 3.......

What has been described there is NOT that far removed from the treatment being handed out in Myanmar as we write, what was common place for IS until recently, and could be compared to the present day habit of white police shooting black americans, almost as a pastime.

The veneer of so called civilisation is, at times, exceedingly thin

I don't think we, as modern day humans, could even start to be described as "humanitarian"

:(

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2017, 14:37:52 »

whereas this from the bottom of the page is horrific  >:( >:( >:(

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/father-hand-belgian-congo-1904/

Reading the text from the boy's picture illustrates very well that the grim reaper is no respecter of wealth and it is no guarantee of good health. The greatest gift that your's and your partner's DNA can bestow on your children is that they have a good long healthy life. :y :y :y

Out of all the European Imperialist nations, the Belgium colonies (empire) is known for its evil brutal behaviour towards the subjects under their rule. Belgium Congo started off as King Leopold II personal fiefdom and was so brutal from mass murder and mutilation to maximise the exploitation and profits of the companies that ran it, he was forced through diplomatic pressure to pass it to the Belgium state in 1908. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 September 2017, 14:47:58 »

FTFY

Absolutely appalling, however it was the "norm" for the time and should be, to some extent, viewed in that context. Attempts to re-write history using our present day "values" are a) pointless and b) hypocritical .....  I could give many examples but will limit myself to just 3.......

What has been described there is NOT that far removed from the treatment being handed out in Myanmar as we write, what was common place for IS until recently, and could be compared to the present day habit of white police shooting black americans, almost as a pastime.

I don't think we, as modern day humans, could even start to be described as "humanitarian"

Although countries and society can try through education and standards to get decent behaviour it comes down to each of us to make decisions and whether to be good or evil. ???
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 September 2017, 15:17:09 »

FTFY

Yes, history MUST always be considered and discussed in the context of that point in time.  ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 September 2017, 15:28:25 »

FTFY

Spot on that man.  The toothless UN sums it up for me. 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.