Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A380 un-contained engine failure  (Read 3285 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: A380 un-contained engine failure
« Reply #15 on: 01 October 2017, 22:48:26 »

My dad was a Senior Engine Test Controller at National Gas Turbine Establishment, Farnborough which meant during my childhood I got to learn a reasonable amount about jet engines, their testing and certification and also various problems during development testing when it was a joint effort between Rolls Royce and NGTE in solving some of the problems. They were also involved with Sea King icing tests after several were lost due to ice ingestion into the engines. Much of the testing during the winter was done in the evening after the evening peak for electricity where the air house for generating the air stream would use up to 132MW of power.

Ask him if he knew Kam Chana or Dave Howells. I should be seeing both on Tuesday  :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2017, 22:54:06 »

(big snip)

Another issue is the broken A380. There won't be any existing facilities for fixing it at Goose, and there isn't a hangar big enough to get it in there either. It gets a bit parky there in winter, and the chances of this plane being fixed anytime soon (before Christmas) appear small to me. The Qantas plane was "lucky" in that it landed back at Singapore, which is an A380 and other aircraft maintainance centre, and in a warm (if rainy) location. Goose. Brrrrr.

Perhaps in a month or two .. not too bad right now , however the maintenance guys fixing it will have some recompense ... I can recommend (wishes he had a "tongue in cheek" smiley) the delights of "Happy Valley"  (if any of these are still operating that is .... :)   )

Trappers, ....  not much in the way of "social activity" but there was the pleasure of cooking your own steak on the indoor bbq.

Rumours Bar.... Now that was a scary place, with the local mooses ready to 'pick off' 'tired and emotional' young aviators.

Tenders Bar,..... no mooses, just the local males who will fleece you on the pool tables

Many of the local "ladies" (if I may use the term) were simply looking for a UK male to trap as a ticket out of there ... :)

They kept all the PAX on-board for 8 hours whilst relief planes arrived. Perhaps the delights of the local 'services' were part of the reason  ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2017, 10:23:27 »

Impossible is your word, not mine... unlikely was what I implied...

Suspected fan hub failure, and as suggested in my last link fan would have actually gone forward with the sudden release of load on it... snagging the cowling as it went and shearing it off. Whole lump would haved passed cleanly below the rest of the engine and consequently well down and away from either the wing or fuselage.

At cruising speed, any uncontained failure would have ended up hitting the wing outboard of the number three engine. The apparent damage to the leading and trailing edges is minimal, with flaps and slats functioning correctly (as demonstrated by the video of the descent and landing ::)) suggesting that the cowling and fan lodged within it broke off relatively cleanly.

The failure of this engine is very different in nature to the Qantas one which was genuinely an uncontained failure and being the inboard engine meant that the fuselage was potentially in the firing line.

Thanks for that explanation. :y :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2017, 16:16:29 »

My dad was a Senior Engine Test Controller at National Gas Turbine Establishment, Farnborough which meant during my childhood I got to learn a reasonable amount about jet engines, their testing and certification and also various problems during development testing when it was a joint effort between Rolls Royce and NGTE in solving some of the problems. They were also involved with Sea King icing tests after several were lost due to ice ingestion into the engines. Much of the testing during the winter was done in the evening after the evening peak for electricity where the air house for generating the air stream would use up to 132MW of power.

Ask him if he knew Kam Chana or Dave Howells. I should be seeing both on Tuesday  :y

Unfotunately, my dad passed away a good few years ago but ask them if they remember Reginald Swift.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2017, 15:19:39 »

Further updates on the pprune link from earlier...

Looks like something caused the fan hub to break up resulting in fan coming away and taking the cowling with it.

French have been given the lead on the investigation and debris has been located in Greenland.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2017, 16:10:33 »

French have been given the lead on the investigation and debris has been located in Greenland.

I wonder if the aforementioned debris has been defrosted, roasted and eaten yet?  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.