Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avatars on Photobucket  (Read 2442 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« on: 01 October 2017, 13:18:32 »

If you host your Avatar on Photobucket, and are impacted by there recent policy change about using on 3rd party websites, can you modify your avatar so it isn't hosted on Photobucket.

Cheers
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Avatars on Photobucket
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2017, 13:21:33 »

How come some peoples are affected and some arn't?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2017, 13:24:30 »

Rumor has it, Drop Box is doing the same,

"Important changes to the Dropbox public folder
As of September 1, 2017 public links have been disabled for all users. See below for more information."

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2017, 13:27:25 »

I think it depends how old your account is or how long the Image has been hosted, mine still works, but if I try and post a new one for public view no dice, guessing they will get around to barring the image sooner or later.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2017, 13:35:15 »

They've really screwed the forums.  I was searching the BMW forums for info on how to change my sub frame bushes and most of the photos have gone.  :(  I'm sure it's the same here.  :-\

I guess at the end of the day the free service funded by adverts wasn't working.  They had so many adverts on Photobucket the the site was almost unusable!  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2017, 13:37:11 »

I've tried to change mine to an image on Postimage .... but unsuccessfully  :(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 13:44:44 »

They've really screwed the forums.  I was searching the BMW forums for info on how to change my sub frame bushes and most of the photos have gone.  :(  I'm sure it's the same here.  :-\

I guess at the end of the day the free service funded by adverts wasn't working.  They had so many adverts on Photobucket the the site was almost unusable! ::)
Yep it almost ground to a halt on my lappy.  >:(

I started using pClould for Advert free Public image hosting, but hey, guess what theve just brought out new feature called Public Folder which is a paid for option.

I do find on a lot of personal Cloud Images if you open the Image File within your Browser then click and copy the Image Address directly that should work as a public link (Not Photobucket) but for how long for?

example here - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=140368.0

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2017, 18:01:54 »

I deleted most of my files on Photobucket when they would not allow 3rd party postings, and immediately I lost my avatar on OOF.

Have not bothered since, as one effort to use another hosting site proved too complicated and just would not do what I wanted.  My life is too short to worry about such things. 

No doubt some clever, enterprising soul will see a glaring opportunity to make hosting work without charging for the privilege, and make good money out of it.  Richard Branson / Virgin Media, are you listening? :D :D ;)
« Last Edit: 01 October 2017, 18:04:09 by Lizzie Zoom »

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2017, 21:58:26 »

I deleted most of my files on Photobucket when they would not allow 3rd party postings, and immediately I lost my avatar on OOF.

Have not bothered since, as one effort to use another hosting site proved too complicated and just would not do what I wanted.  My life is too short to worry about such things. 

No doubt some clever, enterprising soul will see a glaring opportunity to make hosting work without charging for the privilege, and make good money out of it.  Richard Branson / Virgin Media, are you listening? :D :D ;)

Unlikely as people use advert blockers or don't click on adverts which they need to pay the bills. :( Online newspapers are going over to using videos with adverts as it defeats advert blockers and works as a better income stream, but how much more effective it is, I don't know?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2017, 22:18:35 »

I guess at the end of the day the free service funded by adverts wasn't working.  They had so many adverts on Photobucket the the site was almost unusable!  ::)
As this was always going to happen, we made sure from the outset that our official guides have their images served from our own images server :)
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2017, 22:51:06 »

As this was always going to happen, we made sure from the outset that our official guides have their images served from our own images server :)

Clever buggers!  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2017, 22:52:42 »

Plus OOF images have a water mark ( although you cant really see it) for copy right reasons.  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2017, 10:29:22 »

Now I am going to ask this TB with my usual ignorance about PC operating systems and them talking to each other, but here goes:

I am about to use Moonpig yet again and use my images online and place them on the card of my choice.  I browse my photos, and post onto the Moonpig product.  Is there a way that we could use our own photo libraries and post them direct on OOF?  :-\ :-\ :-\ ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2017, 10:45:54 »

Now I am going to ask this TB with my usual ignorance about PC operating systems and them talking to each other, but here goes:

I am about to use Moonpig yet again and use my images online and place them on the card of my choice.  I browse my photos, and post onto the Moonpig product.  Is there a way that we could use our own photo libraries and post them direct on OOF?  :-\ :-\ :-\ ;)

Without stealing TB's thunder, and not wishing to "intrude" ... simple reason Lizzie is "cost" both financially and physically. To "store" photo libraries in any decent resolution requires large amounts of disk space, and equally large amount of "back up" disk space.

All these "free" image hosting sites pay for the storage requirements by adverts, we now use adblockers or simply ignore adverts, so their income has dried up and they are now charging to cover the hardware costs ... on OOF we pay for nothing, so an additional cost of large storage volumes and back up volumes would have to come from somewhere (and we haven't even mentioned the cost of systems/electricity or the large amount of time TB must spend nurturing the system) etc etc.

With some 14866 registered accounts to give even 1 GB of storage to everyone would need some very large, and expensive disks. I know many accounts are "dormant" but my guess is the software would not differentiate between active and dormant and would need to provide the same for all, I'm probably wrong but it gives an idea of the scale, hopefully.

Just my POV, TB will no doubt prove me wrong ...  :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2017, 11:09:52 »

Without stealing TB's thunder, and not wishing to "intrude" ... simple reason Lizzie is "cost" both financially and physically. To "store" photo libraries in any decent resolution requires large amounts of disk space, and equally large amount of "back up" disk space.

All these "free" image hosting sites pay for the storage requirements by adverts, we now use adblockers or simply ignore adverts, so their income has dried up and they are now charging to cover the hardware costs ... on OOF we pay for nothing, so an additional cost of large storage volumes and back up volumes would have to come from somewhere (and we haven't even mentioned the cost of systems/electricity or the large amount of time TB must spend nurturing the system) etc etc.

With some 14866 registered accounts to give even 1 GB of storage to everyone would need some very large, and expensive disks. I know many accounts are "dormant" but my guess is the software would not differentiate between active and dormant and would need to provide the same for all, I'm probably wrong but it gives an idea of the scale, hopefully.

Just my POV, TB will no doubt prove me wrong ...  :)

Many thanks Entwood! 8) 8) :y :y

I had a niggling feeling it would come down to cost, although I was unsure if it could even be done. :-* :-*
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.