Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avatars on Photobucket  (Read 2461 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Avatars on Photobucket
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2017, 17:54:47 »

They've really screwed the forums.  I was searching the BMW forums for info on how to change my sub frame bushes and most of the photos have gone.  :(  I'm sure it's the same here.  :-\

I guess at the end of the day the free service funded by adverts wasn't working.  They had so many adverts on Photobucket the the site was almost unusable!  ::)
As this was always going to happen, we made sure from the outset that our official guides have their images served from our own images server :)
Plus OOF images have a water mark ( although you cant really see it) for copy right reasons.  :)
Theoretically speaking, that might have happened some time after, due to a handful of members trying to start their own Omega forum and trying to nick our guides in the process.  Even more blatant than that was the fact that, to save their own costs involved in storage and transit, they served those images from our platform, in essence, we were paying for some members to start up their own, competing forums.

Also, theoretically speaking, the Admin Team was not best pleased! ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2017, 18:07:05 »

I had a niggling feeling it would come down to cost, although I was unsure if it could even be done. :-* :-*
What Entwood says is pretty much on the nail, bar some of the calculations, but due to the (completely unique) way we are set up, there would also be a couple of complex technical issues to work around as well.

Cost wise to add that required amount of storage isn't quite as simple as Entwood suggested either, as it would mean replicating that data in the same way we replicate the OOF database, which would mean the storage being needed on 3 servers here in TB Towers, and on a remote server in a geographically diverse location, plus the network bandwidth between them (which is no issue here, being a cross between 10Gbps and 1Gbps, but to our remote site, this could be a problem.  Then there is tape capacity, which our ageing LTO-5 cannot provide much of.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2017, 19:35:20 »

I had a niggling feeling it would come down to cost, although I was unsure if it could even be done. :-* :-*
What Entwood says is pretty much on the nail, bar some of the calculations, but due to the (completely unique) way we are set up, there would also be a couple of complex technical issues to work around as well.

Cost wise to add that required amount of storage isn't quite as simple as Entwood suggested either, as it would mean replicating that data in the same way we replicate the OOF database, which would mean the storage being needed on 3 servers here in TB Towers, and on a remote server in a geographically diverse location, plus the network bandwidth between them (which is no issue here, being a cross between 10Gbps and 1Gbps, but to our remote site, this could be a problem.  Then there is tape capacity, which our ageing LTO-5 cannot provide much of.

Thanks for explaining that TB :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2017, 22:02:39 »

Plus OOF images have a water mark ( although you cant really see it) for copy right reasons.  :)
Theoretically speaking, that might have happened some time after, due to a handful of members trying to start their own Omega forum and trying to nick our guides in the process.  Even more blatant than that was the fact that, to save their own costs involved in storage and transit, they served those images from our platform, in essence, we were paying for some members to start up their own, competing forums.

Also, theoretically speaking, the Admin Team was not best pleased! ;D
Yea, I vaguely remember that, think it was around 2009, cheeky buggers, shame they didnt ask you if they could mount there Forum on your Server, least that way you could have taken them down quicker.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.