Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EML on M4, went off as I left M4  (Read 1843 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
EML on M4, went off as I left M4
« on: 07 October 2017, 08:31:47 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
Last night running homeward on M4 EML cameon, went off, came on again for 30 miles, as I left the M4 it went off and stayed off thereafter. Codes were 19 incorrect rpm signal and 16 knock signal circuit 1. I had unplugged and replugged knock sensor recently changing the cam cover gaskets on bank 1, so I checked the connector, plugged in OK. What's up?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: EML on M4, went off as I left M4
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2017, 10:11:18 »

Dying crank sensor, going from code 19.

Curious why it did not cut the engine, that normally happens with a 19.

Change this ASAP for a genuine dealer bought example  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2017, 10:12:27 »

Given the 19, I'd avoid driving it until the sensor is replaced. It could cut out without warning and may or may not restart  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2017, 19:15:39 »

Thanks for advice. I used to have 2 spare 2.5 crank sensors, but I have used them both. I shall have to buy one I suppose. I thought I had a third, but cannot find it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2017, 18:47:50 »

I thought you had a reader and could clear codes? Clear out what you have.

As you know what caused the 16 and fixed that beforehand, concentrate on the 19. And you know the solution :y

A failed crank sensor is inconvenient at the best of times, but in my more naïve days, I can assure you a failed crank sensor just outside Dijon is very, very inconvenient, and started a whole string of unrelated incidents that we still chuckle about today...   ...including how many people can you fit into a Formula 1 hotel room, and how much damage can you do to an Astra-H when you hit a raven at over 200kph...
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2017, 20:10:34 »

I thought you had a reader and could clear codes? Clear out what you have.

As you know what caused the 16 and fixed that beforehand, concentrate on the 19. And you know the solution :y

A failed crank sensor is inconvenient at the best of times, but in my more naïve days, I can assure you a failed crank sensor just outside Dijon is very, very inconvenient, and started a whole string of unrelated incidents that we still chuckle about today...   ...including how many people can you fit into a Formula 1 hotel room, and how much damage can you do to an Astra-H when you hit a raven at over 200kph...
Codes cleared and have not reappeared. I shall order a new sensor tomorrow and fit it when it arrives. Thanks to all for advice. Car is currently on axle stands while I change the central track rod.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2017, 12:43:35 »

Replaced crank sensor with known good one. After a mile EML came on again. Read codes. again 16 and 19. Looks like the crank sensor is innocent, so no. 1 bank knock sensor becomes chief suspect. I plugged and unplugged it several times during the cam cover gasket jobs. I doubt the sensor itself has failed, but its connections are now my chief suspect. Any opinions?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2017, 15:10:22 »

Knock sensor 1 is on the 1-3-5 bank and does not need touching to do the cam covers.....Knock sensor 2 is on the 2-4-6 side and has to be disconnected for the cam covers.

Are you sure your checking the correct one (No2 can be damaged when refitting the covers as it can be trapped between the head and cover, if the lead to No1 is not secured correctly it can be damaged by the aux belt or trapped behind the aux tensioner bracket)

As an indicator, when the knock sensor code is active the timing is massively retarded and the power drops off a cliff.

I have also seen bank 1 show on a Calibra when the alternator bearings where shot

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2017, 17:11:29 »

Thank you. I presumed the troublesome knock sensor would be the one I had unplugged and replugged a few times. I failed to notice the message saying bank 1. Last time I had trouble with bank 1 knock sensor was when I first changed a cam belt and had misrouted the knock sensor lead on reassembly.
I shall check no. 1 knock sensor forthwith.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2017, 12:26:05 »

I checked no. 1 bank knock sensor. It looked all right, though cable goes behind the aux belt tensioner so could not easily check that. Anyway I unplugged and replugged the cable connector and tried again. After 200 miles the EML has not come on, so it looks like fault is cured. Thanks, Fuse 19. That will teach me not to leap to conclusions, and read the warning light messages more closely..

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 October 2017, 21:38:12 »

Did another 100 miles Saturday going to see son playing Strephon in Iolanthe at Market Lavington; no more EML; today did 20 more miles, still no EML on. Tonight I checked engine codes, up popped 19 incorrect RPM signal. I think it's pulling my leg.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.