Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else read about this?  (Read 2544 times)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Anyone else read about this?
« on: 12 October 2017, 22:08:56 »

Went on AOL to check my e-mails and a headline on their news site reports that the the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands is sending out small tremors, been about 40 so far around 2.5 on the Richter scale. We all know how dodgy AOL and Huff Post are for their scaremongering. If it does go up big style then it could be very interesting to say the least. It was the subject of a documentary on the Beeb a while ago and if it collapses into the sea it would trigger a huge tsunami. Sorry i can,t do a link.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else read about this?
« Reply #1 on: 12 October 2017, 22:16:09 »

Lots of stuff doing the rounds in the redtop rags .. most of it scaremongering.. :(

For some serious study ..

https://watchers.news/2017/10/09/cumbre-vieja-volcano-earthquakes-canary-islands/

http://www.la-palma24.info/en/La-palma-earthquake/

:)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2017, 22:53:18 »

Thanks Entwood, two good articles. :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2017, 11:43:57 »

Lots of stuff doing the rounds in the redtop rags .. most of it scaremongering.. :(

For some serious study ..

https://watchers.news/2017/10/09/cumbre-vieja-volcano-earthquakes-canary-islands/

http://www.la-palma24.info/en/La-palma-earthquake/

:)
Went on AOL to check my e-mails and a headline on their news site reports that the the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma in the Canary Islands is sending out small tremors, been about 40 so far around 2.5 on the Richter scale. We all know how dodgy AOL and Huff Post are for their scaremongering. If it does go up big style then it could be very interesting to say the least. It was the subject of a documentary on the Beeb a while ago and if it collapses into the sea it would trigger a huge tsunami. Sorry i can,t do a link.

This is something to watch as you are right, seismologists have been monitoring this one for some time as an enormous fault runs throughone side of the island and could suddenly collapse into the sea causing a huge  tsunami to travel across to the Eastern seaboard of the USA and then travel up to Western Europe, even affecting the South West of England.  If it happens as they fear it will eventually, it will cause the type of disaster not seen before in modern USA or Europe.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2017, 13:52:47 »

Jolly unreasonable of the Earth to threaten major volcanic eruptions. ::) ::) ::) The climate guessing models will cope even less. ;D ;D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lincs Robert

« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2017, 20:07:14 »

This was the subject of a BBC documentary a few years back. Very interesting indeed. I don’t recall anything about the tsunami reaching back upto Western Europe though.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2017, 22:43:39 »

I saw an article about this in the Daily Mail a few years ago. Must be true then!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2017, 11:42:45 »

I saw an article about this in the Daily Mail a few years ago. Must be true then!  ;D

Don't panic.!!!
Hoof'land storeman.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2017, 11:48:48 »

This was the subject of a BBC documentary a few years back. Very interesting indeed. I don’t recall anything about the tsunami reaching back upto Western Europe though.

Yes, in the documentary and still being said, the water surge of this event, if at the force predicted, will first send the tsunami to the Eastern seaboard of the US, causing a massive inundation of water into places like New York, then rebound and spread out travelling North up the Atlantic to hit Ireland and the South West of England. It was said that because the English Channel is a shallow waterway and the tsunami would not have any any major effect on it we in the rest of England and Scotland can keep our boats dry!   ::) ::)  ;)
« Last Edit: 15 October 2017, 11:51:42 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2017, 12:10:07 »

I would also add that the Yellowstone National Park super volcano must never be forgotten as it is constantly building up to the next mind blowing, earth shattering eruption, maybe in the next few decades.

So, one way or another we are all doomed.....................doomed, doomed, I say!! ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 October 2017, 18:30:22 »

Jolly unreasonable of the Earth to threaten major volcanic eruptions. ::) ::) ::) The climate guessing models will cope even less. ;D ;D ;D
I'm sure the tree huggers will somehow make out its all those Chelsea tractors causing it.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2017, 19:14:03 »

I'm sure the tree huggers will somehow make out its all those Chelsea tractors causing it.

Nope, global climate warming has nothing to do with these threats ;D ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2017, 20:51:03 »

Watching Countryfile this evening and they did a piece, that they had shown before, on Dunwich on the Suffolk coast. The majority of the town was lost to the sea in a series of major storms about 800 years ago. Don,t think that was down to man made climate change. :D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 October 2017, 00:05:52 »

Weather is highly volatile, which is why there is so much variance from year to year and quite large changes in climate over any long-term period.

Ice cores show this is the 5th high temperature, high CO2 event in the last 400,000 years, some with higher peaks than the current one, but none caused the doomsday point of no return thermal runaway.

Fig 3. 800,000 ice core chart on the British Antarctic Survey website is the one to look at.

https://www.bas.ac.uk/data/our-data/publication/ice-cores-and-climate-change/
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 October 2017, 11:54:15 »

Watching Countryfile this evening and they did a piece, that they had shown before, on Dunwich on the Suffolk coast. The majority of the town was lost to the sea in a series of major storms about 800 years ago. Don,t think that was down to man made climate change. :D
Yes, the Great Storm of 1287 -  then there was the Great Storm of 1987  - then the Great Storm of 2017, albeit not in the UK, but then the pending Irish Great Storm of 2017:  note the pattern.

3 and seven are my "magic" numbers, 3 being good for me, 7 being bad, so I am watching this interesting (completely non-scientific and probably completely co-incidental) mathematical sequence, which you can often find in history. No doubt mathematicians will give me all kinds of logical reasons for these! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 12:01:21 by Lizzie Zoom »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.