Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: usb music  (Read 5001 times)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
usb music
« on: 13 October 2017, 12:23:34 »

has anyone tried any of the usb memory stick players . designed to work on any car with a cig lighter socket and fm radio .they seem to start from about six quid but not sure if thats only a usb charger function version.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: usb music
« Reply #1 on: 13 October 2017, 13:06:40 »

They will be shite, utter, utter rubbish.

They basically work as FM modulator, taking USB/memory stick input and broadcasting it on an FM frequency. The Omega's radio ariel is the back window, the signal will be poor to very poor. The quality of the audio will be..... you guessed it. Rubbish!

What radio do you have in your car?

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 October 2017, 14:25:37 »

the standard cassette/ 4 disc changer type. in my omega but wasnt just thinking about in that car . has anyone any experience of having one of these units . .?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 October 2017, 14:33:08 »

My posting above was based on my experience of wireless FM modulators, but no matter where you want to use it either car/house/office it will be rubbish. You want a hard wired solution, if you want it wireless, go for a bluetooth adaptor into a wired connection.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 October 2017, 14:39:28 »

ive been reading up on these and it suggests the fm modulators are better than fm transmitters because they connect in-line with the ariel lead. is this correct ? . unit in omega is fine and working correctly but in my other cars i dont even use the radio (too much rubbish!) so something that connects straight to ariel plug does sound better ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 October 2017, 14:42:23 »

Splicing into the ariel is an option, but if for other cars you are better getting another head unit with an AUX input.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 October 2017, 14:48:26 »

not an option on other cars. head units to remain 'period' if you know what i mean. will see if anyone has any experience of these units and go from there.other old fashioned idea used to be the jack plug to dummy cassette tape but will see. thankyou

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 October 2017, 15:20:02 »

Back when my car radio was working, I used a cheapo FM transmitter (Poundland, I think) to relay CDs that wouldn't play on the CD/Radio (computer copied CDs!) via a portable CD player and it worked fine, no problem.
To clarify: copied CD in player - the sort used for walking/jogging - and the FM transmitter plugged into it via the 3.5mm socket, then tune car radio to transmitter's output channel and enjoy!  :y

Ron.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2017, 15:50:55 »

ive been reading up on these and it suggests the fm modulators are better than fm transmitters because they connect in-line with the ariel lead. is this correct ? . unit in omega is fine and working correctly but in my other cars i dont even use the radio (too much rubbish!) so something that connects straight to ariel plug does sound better ?

not an option on other cars. head units to remain 'period' if you know what i mean. will see if anyone has any experience of these units and go from there.other old fashioned idea used to be the jack plug to dummy cassette tape but will see. thankyou

They do kinda work, but as Tunnie says they can sound rubbish compared to Direct input CD, Bluetooth, MP3 etc.

The main reason is your trying to pipe near CD quality through a FM Modulators Bandwidth, its never goes to be the same quality, similar story with the Cassette type setup.

The direct inline Aerial ones do have the advantage of a better FM receive signal than the RF Mod type ones but you still have the FM Bandwidth issue, the inline ones are a must for places like London where the FM Spectrum is just full up (mainly with Pirates) so no empty channels to tune to.

The really Cheapo FM Mod ones are Mono, there are some better Higher Spec Stereo ones out there which carry a cost premium, but these days cheap to buy MP3 or Bluetooth adapters I dont think its worth even going down a an expensive FM Mod route anymore, spend the money on getting the HU modded for BT or Aux In.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 October 2017, 21:40:30 »

if you want to play from an sd card I have one of these

£9.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152632215916 (or these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253107106372) it works very well.  sound is obviously not as good as cd but much better than tape, better or as good as radio and far better than those cheapo cassette adaptors with a lead.
« Last Edit: 13 October 2017, 21:53:35 by migmog »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 October 2017, 22:06:31 »

Wow! I don't actually want one, but how do they do it for the price? The cheaper one still has car and mains charger included - FH!

Ron.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2017, 17:37:10 »

Hi mgmog. Never seen one of those but i dont have the facility to record on an sd card .but the ideas good and seeing as it comes from china that would explain the price!.my idea was to be able to play a memory stick in my cars which dont have a cd player or any modern unit and the plug in cig lighter unit SEEMED like a possible option but no one i know has one to try or had one. The china ones are cheap on ebay but dont always arrive and the maplins versions look the same at ten times the price.cd player in my omega still ok for cd's .can mod to an aux in if req for other media like ipod etc. Just running a few thought around my head ? Cheers

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2017, 22:11:16 »

See my guide, adding AUX input via the CD changer.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2017, 17:10:50 »

Thanks mr tunnie. Yes read that.Thats no problem .was mainly thinking for cars with only rad /cassette .will see if i can try out a maplins one before purchase to see how good or bad they are. Cheers all.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 October 2017, 18:34:07 »

Cheap FM Modulators are shite. So that's *anything* you will find on ebay.

Good ones are significantly better, but still not as good as a CD.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.