Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Hurricane Orphelia hit Ireland?  (Read 5344 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Will Hurricane Orphelia hit Ireland?
« Reply #30 on: 16 October 2017, 16:43:56 »

I had a bit of a bumpy ride into Bristol Airport earlier, but the strange thing was that as we descended through the cloud there was a horrible smell of burning in the cabin, which had a few people looking around anxiously.  :-\ 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41639386

What was also weird was for a while we were in a strange 'cloud sandwich' where the plane was in clear air but there was a flat dense layer of cloud just above and below and the light was almost sepia tone!  :o    Now I know it was caused by the apocalyptic looking red sun which I saw as I was hunting for my car in the car park.  ::)  ;)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 October 2017, 17:27:23 »

I had a bit of a bumpy ride into Bristol Airport earlier, but the strange thing was that as we descended through the cloud there was a horrible smell of burning in the cabin, which had a few people looking around anxiously.  :-\ 

What was also weird was for a while we were in a strange 'cloud sandwich' where the plane was in clear air but there was a flat dense layer of cloud just above and below and the light was almost sepia tone!  :o    Now I know it was caused by the apocalyptic looking red sun which I saw as I was hunting for my car in the car park.  ::)  ;)

That is strange, as for most of this afternoon we have had a strange sepia coloured cloud sitting over this part of Kent which when it started produced a very red sun.  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 October 2017, 17:30:57 »

I wonder if the fires in California and recent weather patterns have something to do with the burning smell in Britain? :-\ :-\

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 October 2017, 17:59:03 »

Hi Lizzie

Burning smell in UK is caused by the Spain and Portugal fires. Smoke was directly transported north by Orphelias storm field.

Rolf

By the way....unclouded here all  day long, light southern winds and max. temperature 26,1 C. October goes summer!
« Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 18:09:01 by Zirfeld »
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 October 2017, 18:16:58 »

Sky had a green tinge around lunchtmie here, followed by an orangey haze, followed by bright sunshine.  A bit of a stiff breeze, fortunately most of the neighbours aren't too stupid to put bins out tonight (esp those stupid little food waste ones we have to use), so hopefully cars will survive.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 October 2017, 18:20:51 »

Sky had a green tinge around lunchtmie here, followed by an orangey haze, followed by bright sunshine.  A bit of a stiff breeze, fortunately most of the neighbours aren't too stupid to put bins out tonight (esp those stupid little food waste ones we have to use), so hopefully cars will survive.

Those food waste bins make excellent buckets for car washing using the 2 bucket method. Smaller one with soap in, larger one with water, and a handy carrying handle too. :y

'cos I CBA to recycle food waste. Food + waste? Doesn't compute. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 October 2017, 18:21:42 »

Hi Lizzie

Burning smell in UK is caused by the Spain and Portugal fires. Smoke was directly transported north by Orphelias storm field.

Rolf

By the way....unclouded here all  day long, light southern winds and max. temperature 26,1 C. October goes summer!

Thanks Rolf.  That would explain it 8) :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 16 October 2017, 18:26:08 »

Those food waste bins make excellent buckets for car washing using the 2 bucket method. Smaller one with soap in, larger one with water, and a handy carrying handle too. :y

'cos I CBA to recycle food waste. Food + waste? Doesn't compute. :P
Only the bin police will not empty the wheelie bins unless your food waste basket is out.  And with fortnightly collections, that becomes problematic.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 16 October 2017, 18:52:42 »

Hi Lizzie

Rolf

Thanks Rolf.  That would explain it 8) :y :y

Our news has also added that dust from the Sahara Desert, along with the Spanish fires, is also to blame for our strange coloured skies. :)

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 16 October 2017, 20:14:43 »

Hi Lizzie

Sahara dust is not unusual here in South Germany. East Atlantic Zyclon warm fronts brings it often from the south. Cars are orange powdered than.

Last winter we had red snow in the Alps....
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 16 October 2017, 20:28:42 »

Hi Lizzie

Sahara dust is not unusual here in South Germany. East Atlantic Zyclon warm fronts brings it often from the south. Cars are orange powdered than.

Last winter we had red snow in the Alps....

Thanks, that's interesting :y :y

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 17 October 2017, 10:03:50 »

There were 5 or 6 "emergency" diverts yesterday in the west of the UK and Eire for civilian airliners reporting smoke in the cabin and burning smells in the cockpit. All of these are believed to have been due to smoke from the Portugal/Spain fires getting into the aircraft air conditioning, and not due to any actual aircraft faults.

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 17 October 2017, 11:14:42 »

I observed weather over many many years. But something like that I never saw before on the GFS (Global Forecast System)

The tropical storm Orphelia is far southwest of the Azores in the moment. Latest forecast shows that Orphelia will strength to a category 2 hurricane with northeast routing.

The GFS model is counting that Orphelia will reach northwest Ireland Monday afternoon  :o 

Rolf
I feel I have enough information to definitively answer your question now...........yes.

aaronjb

« Reply #43 on: 17 October 2017, 11:49:56 »

Only the bin police will not empty the wheelie bins unless your food waste basket is out.  And with fortnightly collections, that becomes problematic.

You need to move to more civilised parts, TB! No such problems here ;) (The previous owners had lost the large food bin so we didn't have one for nearly a year.. until I stopped suffering a bout of CBA and ordered a replacement for £0)

Walking the dog yesterday looked a lot like this thanks to Ophelia:

(Unfortunately it did not magically make me look like Ryan Gosling)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 17 October 2017, 18:06:41 »

Well , it came and went.
The prophesy was akin to the end of the world but although strong it was a poor comparison to other recent storms ,particularly one three years ago which was devastating.
I believe that areas further east of here were badly effected but this coastal area had very little damage .
I think the Irish Met office had bought a new laptop with windows 7 and wanted to show how proficient they had become .
Lost power for 24 hours though and that was purgatory . I had to endure being imprisoned with a sister in law who is a pathological narcissist ,after 12 hours of suffering I swung between suicide and murder .
The latter won .......
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.