Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: couple of questions  (Read 2975 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: couple of questions
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2017, 14:56:14 »

Crikey! I remember my father complaining that the Morris Ital that I eventually inherited was burning oil when it was new. It was a darn sight better that 1K / 1L back in 1981, and it continued to burn a little oil until I sold it 14 years later. In fact, I think most of the oil was dripping onto the exhaust and smoking!

Clearly we haven't come very far since then. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2017, 15:39:07 »

Other than now being able to comfortably make well over 100bhp/l of course, compared to an ital's....45bhp/l?  :y

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 October 2017, 16:46:10 »

I didnt take much notice the last time i topped the oil but i believe it was about 500 miles. Iam only asking as over the first few months of doing the same run in warm weather it never used a drop. Now all of a sudden in the space of about 6 weeks and 1500 miles i have put about 3ltrs in. When the oil min display comes up i have checked the dipstick and both times it was showing just below a quarter on the gauge so i dont thing its a sensor. I asked about how far can i drive because on the a roads i travel on its a bit hard to pull over straight away. I filled it up last night and will start to check more often.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 October 2017, 16:51:50 »

Other than now being able to comfortably make well over 100bhp/l of course, compared to an ital's....45bhp/l?  :y

Indeed. Modern cars have re-kindled one trait, though: stalling every time you're waiting at a junction. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 October 2017, 18:13:39 »

Considerably thinner oil must be a factor, which is one of several reasons I don't use 5/30 in the Omega. Of course, there's no way that VAG's German engineers cocked up the engine design and oil specs ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2017, 19:09:46 »

Crikey! I remember my father complaining that the Morris Ital that I eventually inherited was burning oil when it was new. It was a darn sight better that 1K / 1L back in 1981, and it continued to burn a little oil until I sold it 14 years later. In fact, I think most of the oil was dripping onto the exhaust and smoking!

My Ital van, right up until the moment it finally disintegrated and they had to give me another, needed 2l per 200 miles (my daily average).

It also needed a new alternator every 2 weeks in winter, for a never diagnosed reason other than "don't use your wipers, headlights and heater fan at the same time, just use only 1 of those at a time"
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2017, 10:00:18 »

Considerably thinner oil must be a factor, which is one of several reasons I don't use 5/30 in the Omega. Of course, there's no way that VAG's German engineers cocked up the engine design and oil specs ::)
My Omega rarely needs a top up at 214K and I use 5w30 in that. That's old hat now, though, with many modern cars specifying 0w20 oils! :o
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.