Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: London T - Charge  (Read 11602 times)

STEMO

Re: London T - Charge
« Reply #45 on: 24 October 2017, 12:57:01 »

The Daily politics had a very interesting section on this yesterday. The director of Client earth - who was all over our screens yesterday, making claims about thousands of deaths etc. - was up against an eminent member of the medical profession, who quietly tore all his claims apart.
The Client earth man didn't even really try to argue against him, but simply rowed back and made some much less outrageous statements instead.
I would imagine its available on iplayer for anyone interested.

The short version is that the hyperbole being spouted by mayor Kahn and his buddies, about thousands of deaths every year in London due to vehicle exhaust fumes, are utter shite.
It really doesn’t matter, Albs, the political bandwagon is well and truly rolling. Whether you see it as stopping pollution or raising revenue, it’s going to happen.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 October 2017, 13:10:21 »

Let’s face it, we have to do something about the amount of pollution in our big cities, people’s health is being severely affected. So, if the powers that be can reduce the smog and coin it in at the same time, well...win win...for them.

Whilst I agree with you on the "something needs to be done" just cant help thinking the current way this is set up really is a Poor Mans Tax, quote from the Mayor last year "if you dont want to be penalized for the Charges, Buy a newer Car".

Mean while back in London there are some 10,000 Buses, 25,000 Black Cabs, and God knows how many Ad&Lee and Uber diesel driving vehicles working 24/7 who are currently Exempt from all this nonsense.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2017, 13:20:36 »

Yep, it really is time all the old black carbs were crushed and the cabbies given Piouses instead. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #48 on: 24 October 2017, 13:36:30 »

Let’s face it, we have to do something about the amount of pollution in our big cities, people’s health is being severely affected. So, if the powers that be can reduce the smog and coin it in at the same time, well...win win...for them.

Whilst I agree with you on the "something needs to be done" just cant help thinking the current way this is set up really is a Poor Mans Tax, quote from the Mayor last year "if you dont want to be penalized for the Charges, Buy a newer Car".

Mean while back in London there are some 10,000 Buses, 25,000 Black Cabs, and God knows how many Ad&Lee and Uber diesel driving vehicles working 24/7 who are currently Exempt from all this nonsense.
My car is a 2014 model, but I still wouldn’t escape the ULEZ payment...if I ever went near London....which I won’t.  ;D
But I am not complacent. Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc. will all implement similar systems, esp. when they see how much revenue it can raise. Overhead gantries started appearing in Leeds a few years ago, no doubt with the purpose of traffic management in mind. But it wouldn’t take much imagination to use the cameras on them to start charging.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 October 2017, 13:39:47 »

Yep, it really is time all the old black carbs were crushed and the cabbies given Piouses instead. :y

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/98450/new-tx-electric-london-taxi-priced-at-55599
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 October 2017, 13:48:55 »

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/98450/new-tx-electric-london-taxi-priced-at-55599

all new black taxis will have to be hybrid at least from 1/1/2018.  But the old (and T-charge exempt) ones will carry on until the owners feel inclined to grab the £40m TfL is offering them to retire their smokers.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/row-erupts-over-black-cab-exemption-to-planned-ultra-low-emission-zone-a3506996.html
« Last Edit: 24 October 2017, 13:50:49 by migmog »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 24 October 2017, 14:36:30 »

My car is a 2014 model, but I still wouldn’t escape the ULEZ payment...if I ever went near London....which I won’t.  ;D
But I am not complacent. Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester etc. will all implement similar systems, esp. when they see how much revenue it can raise. Overhead gantries started appearing in Leeds a few years ago, no doubt with the purpose of traffic management in mind. But it wouldn’t take much imagination to use the cameras on them to start charging.

The key difference IMHO is that London has the public transport infrastructure in place to support people to not drive. Even I, wedded to my car though I am, don't routinely drive into central London. That said, I haven't been to any of the cities you mention in a couple of years, but I'd be amazed if public transport was a bona fide alternative. It certainly isn't in Nottingham, where I was last weekend (and another city looking at the implementation of no-go zones for older cars).

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 October 2017, 14:47:15 »

In another generation when everyone is driving supposedly non polluting cars, they will have to dream up some other guilt trip for everyone to be forced to contribute to the coffers.
At some point the state will either need to shrink, or take the Corbynist/ Marxist route, and take control of wealth, and redistribute it as they see fit.
Thankfully, I wont be around to see it, as its obvious which side of the argument has been slowly but surely winning over the last half century or so.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 24 October 2017, 17:26:59 »

My 1.6 soot chucker is exempt  :y

Not that I go to London very often.....

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 24 October 2017, 22:06:04 »

vx have now asked for my chassis number so I am hopeful of a reply.  surely it will be positive, i can't see any difference between my car and the euro 4 shed of the week :-\.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 October 2017, 23:38:28 »

The key difference IMHO is that London has the public transport infrastructure in place to support people to not drive. Even I, wedded to my car though I am, don't routinely drive into central London. That said, I haven't been to any of the cities you mention in a couple of years, but I'd be amazed if public transport was a bona fide alternative. It certainly isn't in Nottingham, where I was last weekend (and another city looking at the implementation of no-go zones for older cars).

Correct in theory but doesn't work in practice. My daughter lives in central London, and is a lifelong Asthma sufferer. She doesn't suffer problems while walking around the streets, but travelling on the underground In rush hour causes all sorts of breathing problems, due to the complete lack of clean fresh air, due to crazy numbers of people crammed into the carriages like sardines.
If they transported animals in that way, they would be prosecuted for cruelty.
Remedying that would probably cost a lot of money though, as opposed to generating it.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #56 on: 25 October 2017, 08:26:25 »

travelling on the underground In rush hour causes all sorts of breathing problems,

Busses are also available  :P and I hear they are a great way of meeting new craziespeople.

STEMO

« Reply #57 on: 25 October 2017, 08:51:42 »

https://youtu.be/0dftDPLAylU

Old but still good  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25 October 2017, 16:17:38 »

My '51 Reg 2.6 auto is exempt.
The charge does not apply at weekends and outside the CZ times, and I would generally only want to go to London at weekends anyway - if ever.
Bring Boris back!

Ron.

:-\ Wonder how that works, really makes sense, I am on an 01 plate 2.6 but manual, which should not really make a difference, or does it?
Manual cars are generally less poluting than otherwise identical autos ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25 October 2017, 19:29:44 »

Vauxhall replied to me:

"The VIN above is compliant with Euro 2 emissions.
Exhaust Emission approval is: 1999/102A
Exhaust emissions:
CO: 0.522 g/km
HC: 0.112 g/km
NOx: 0.066 g/km

CO2 is 255g / km"

still think shed of the week, which is euro 4,  is an identical car https://www.pistonheads.com/news/shed-of-the-week/shed-of-the-week-vauxhall-omega-v6/32513
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.