Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No more cars....  (Read 3763 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
No more cars....
« on: 24 October 2017, 12:01:34 »

In the drive to reduce pollution and congestion Singapore is set to take a different approach to the problem than other cities like London. 

According to an article in today's Groaniad from February next year no more new cars will be allowed on Singapore's roads, although presumably cars can be replaced given that cars over 10 years old are already banned. The growth in the number of buses and commercial vehicles will be allowed, but the growth in the number of private cars and motorbikes is to be set at zero.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/24/singapore-no-more-cars-allowed-on-the-road-government-says

Can you imagine the squeals of anguish if the UK government took this approach.  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: No more cars....
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2017, 12:14:35 »

The extra congestion charge recently announced should be for derv only. ::) ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2017, 12:34:27 »

Car ownership in Singapore is mega expensive plus, the only thing truly cheap there is Taxis.

Add in a decent public transport system and why would you want your own car?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2017, 12:42:24 »

Am I the only one to think that this pollution problem is a myth, or at least nowhere near as severe as the revenue collectors would have us believe? ???

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2017, 12:42:59 »

Car ownership in Singapore is mega expensive plus, the only thing truly cheap there is Taxis.

Add in a decent public transport system and why would you want your own car?

The metro and a bowl of noodles in a hawker market are the other cheap things in Singapore for a couple of dollars which is about a quid.  :y

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2017, 12:54:32 »

Am I the only one to think that this pollution problem is a myth, or at least nowhere near as severe as the revenue collectors would have us believe? ???

Ron.
Not the only one, Ron, but certainly in the minority.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2017, 12:59:11 »

You mean there are more revenue collectors than real people?  :(

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 24 October 2017, 13:40:09 »

You mean there are more revenue collectors than real people?  :(

Ron.
You could put it that way. But..if we carry this through to it’s conclusion...in ten years no one will pay because all cars will emit maidens water from their tailpipe, so they’ll have to find a different way to relieve people of their cash. And, believe me, they will.

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 24 October 2017, 13:55:29 »

Yeah, given the cost of just getting the "OK" to own a vehicle from the government is £33,000...

Everyone should think about that the next time they have to pay their road tax ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2017, 15:12:40 »

Everyone should think  ...... next time they have to pay their road tax ;D ;D

I do ..... over 800 times

(4 cars have their VED run out at the same times  :( )

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2017, 15:24:29 »

Granted that £30k is only payable once in Singapore - I assume per vehicle.. but yeah, it explained why my Singapore colleague had never bothered getting a driving licence! ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2017, 15:36:48 »

Ron.

Come and stay with us Ron. We drive down from the mountains and in the distance we can see Granada city at the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas mountains. The city is always bathed in a smog of pollution. Very little wind to blow it away. It is highly visible. The EU have a list of cities to fine for failing to get pollution down. Granada is one of them. Funny thing is when you are in Granada you cannot "feel or see the pollution". It is still there.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2017, 16:18:49 »

Granted that £30k is only payable once in Singapore - I assume per vehicle.. but yeah, it explained why my Singapore colleague had never bothered getting a driving licence! ;D

I think what you are referring to Aaron is the Certificate Of Entitlement which is bought with the car when new and is valid for 10 years when the car has to be scrapped or exported.  The cost of the Certificate of Entitlement is related to the cost of the vehicle when new, and second hand cars are sold with the balance of the Certificate Of Entitlement, thus a 5 year old car will have a Certificate Of Entitlement valid for 5 years.  ;)

I think that an annual tax similar to VED is also payable.  :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #13 on: 24 October 2017, 16:26:27 »

There you go - that's the badger ;) Still, expensive business! Even the driving license process is expensive..

Then again, it's a tiny city state with near ideal public transport (from what I'm told) so.. I wouldn't bother with a car.

I mean, I'd melt because it's 30C permanently, but I wouldn't bother with a car  ;D ;D ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 October 2017, 17:17:02 »

Ron.

Come and stay with us Ron. We drive down from the mountains and in the distance we can see Granada city at the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas mountains. The city is always bathed in a smog of pollution. Very little wind to blow it away. It is highly visible. The EU have a list of cities to fine for failing to get pollution down. Granada is one of them. Funny thing is when you are in Granada you cannot "feel or see the pollution". It is still there.

Understood, but that could be harmless water vapour, especially as it cannot be "seen or felt". It doesn't have to be man-made, nor due to cars, although cars are easy to blame and tax!

Ron.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.