Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4K tellys  (Read 3223 times)

Lincs Robert

Re: 4K tellys
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2017, 13:53:35 »

When I bought mine, it came with a 6 months Netflix 4k subscription.

I’d very quickly reached the limit of what I wanted to watch, there were some box sets - but not really my cup of tea. I didn’t renew as there wasn’t the content to watch.

Now, if the BBC did a 4k version of iPlayer then I’d actually be happy to pay for that!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2017, 13:58:15 »

When I bought mine, it came with a 6 months Netflix 4k subscription.

I’d very quickly reached the limit of what I wanted to watch, there were some box sets - but not really my cup of tea. I didn’t renew as there wasn’t the content to watch.

Now, if the BBC did a 4k version of iPlayer then I’d actually be happy to pay for that!
Blue Planet II was recorded in 4K, just a shame the BBC have got no means of showing it.  ;)

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 October 2017, 14:31:03 »

BBC are running a pilot of 4k on Iplayer - don't know how you get it, I was asked if I wanted to participate when I logged my smart tv into iplayer.  I declined, so don't know how I would get it to ask again.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 October 2017, 14:37:42 »

Ah, I do like a man who knows want he wants, pop round over the weekend Albs, Ive got some State of the Art 720p TV's I can sell you, I even do a special pre Xmas mad rush deal.

720p? Sell the man a nice B&W Grundig with an attractive bakealite case. That seems more up his street ;)

405 line with valves in the back, I hope?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 30 October 2017, 14:51:33 »

Ah, I do like a man who knows want he wants, pop round over the weekend Albs, Ive got some State of the Art 720p TV's I can sell you, I even do a special pre Xmas mad rush deal.

720p? Sell the man a nice B&W Grundig with an attractive bakealite case. That seems more up his street ;)

State of the art.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 October 2017, 16:21:09 »

You've got to go for 625 lines at least ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 October 2017, 16:41:45 »

You've got to go for 625 lines at least ::) ::) :D :D ;)

Let me just calculate how close to the TV you'll need to sit to see the difference... ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2017, 17:00:24 »

Do you need to get your telly via Mr Branson or Mr Murdoch to take advantage of having a 4K telly? Ive honestly no idea  :-[

For a start, you need 20:20 vision, a 50" TV and you need to sit about 3' from the screen. ;)

IMHO, it's another one of those "features" like 3D and "SMART" TVs that, whilst being pointless, is used to convince us all that we need to buy new TVs. I doubt broadcast TV will ever do it justice, as the broadcast offerings from Sky, freeview, etc. don't currently do a full HD TV. Just compare a supposedly HD broadcast with a blueray.

About the only application where I can see a 4k TV being worthwhile currently is if using it for gaming or as a PC monitor. It would be rather nice for a flight simulator, I reckon.

Yep, ive noticed that. If I use the HD freeview tuner built into the TV the TV reports 1080i
As I have a Humax freeview tuner/recorder, I always watch TV through that as it up scales the signal coming in. The TV reports 1080p then  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2017, 17:59:48 »

The days of over the air broadcasting is coming to an end, be it satellite or terrestrial.

Which is fine if you have access to fast internet. Not everybody does.  Even with a fair whack of compression, 25-30Mbps is needed, constantly (ie, with nobody else using it).  2 separate streams, well....

That said, when buying a telly, I suspect for lounge TVs (say, 40" or bigger), the choice on non 4k options will likely be old stock.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.