Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My first attempt at making a video  (Read 6230 times)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: My first attempt at making a video
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2017, 22:50:16 »

Excellent flight, the landing was very very good...

I can only presume this was a solo flight...?

I flew a glider from Longridge near Preston a few years ago, got a video of it somewhere too....

Will do it again when I get chance to....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2017, 23:14:08 »

Great video  :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 November 2017, 00:31:04 »

Thanks for the kind comments, all. :y

Excellent video Kevin and well done on the altitude  :y , would it not be easier though to bolt an engine on the front rather than have to get a bump start every time you take off and go somewhere  ;D, Ive also noticed youve actually arrived at the same place you departed, so you may need to work on that one.  :) ;D

Probably not. Not many piston engined aircraft can climb to that sort of altitude (certainly not natasp ones) so it would need to be something exotic (= expensive). Besides, I already know I can burn petrol. Where's the challenge? ;)

I landed back there because a) that's where the bar is and b) if I land somewhere else people have to come and get me. Then they expect me to buy them beer in the aforementioned bar. ;)

That said, I might to a cross country one in the summer. About time I got off my 'arris and did some more xc flying.

Probably the lens on the camera, but I thought "He won't be landing from this height" ;D

That circuit was probably at about double the height I would have been at around a sensible airfield in sensible weather but you need the wind to be blowing for wave flights and, when the airfield's in the lee of mountains, it gets quite rough. The trick is to hold on to the height until you absolutely need to dump it, just in case nature does that for you, whilst avoiding going through the dry stone wall at the end of the runway. ::)

Once you climb above cloud it's completely serene, and you have no sensation of climbing at all.

You're a brave man, Kevin: I can't imagine ever being SO constipated as to need to do that!  8)

Ron.

Constipated is good. There are no "facilities" on board. ;)

Fook that. I don't even like going up in a big one with four engines strapped under the wings. And that piece of red string on the screen would get right on my nerves.  ;D
Seriously though - very impressive Kevin.  :y

That bit of string is the most important instrument!

Excellent video :y A good few years ago Maureen bought me one of those "experience" gifts for a flight in a powered aircraft,where they do the take off/landing bit and you get to take the controls for a while.I loved that and I'd truly love a go in a glider I think it'd be fascinating,don't think I'll ever get to experience that though. :'(
A local gliding club i bike past sometimes have a board up advertising short flights. Perhaps there is one near you doing the same thing Baza.  :y

Pretty much all gliding clubs will give you a "Trial Fright Flight". Have a look here: https://www.gliding.co.uk/about-gliding#wherecanyouglide
The only potential issue is that you need to tell them that you weigh less than 110 kg (and it needs to appear plausible). One OOFer has already failed in that regard, mentioning no names.   ::)
We have lead weights to strap to people like Tunnie at the other end of the spectrum. ;D

Excellent flight, the landing was very very good...

I can only presume this was a solo flight...?

I flew a glider from Longridge near Preston a few years ago, got a video of it somewhere too....

Will do it again when I get chance to....

Yes, a bit of a shame the launch was a bit bouncy but what you couldn't see in the video was that I was having to use full control deflection at times to keep it behind the tug!

The glider is a Grob 102: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grob_G102_Astir

So yes, no room for two in there!

Cheers,

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 November 2017, 00:52:00 »

I had no idea gliders could climb so high. Excellent video. :y

Take a look at this project: http://www.perlanproject.org/ . They are planning to take a glider to 90,000 feet. They set a new record of 52,172 feet back in September.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 November 2017, 07:42:08 »

Thanks for the link Kevin.It seems the nearest to me is in Kirton Lindsey which is not many miles away at all,I'll have to look into this a bit deeper.110kg is what?about 17st in proper money?Anyway whatever I reckon I can sneak in under that as I've never weighed more than 10st 2lb in my life and a just turned 64 I still have a 28" waist 8)

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 03 November 2017, 09:20:48 »

The only potential issue is that you need to tell them that you weigh less than 110 kg (and it needs to appear plausible). One OOFer has already failed in that regard, mentioning no names.   ::)

It's OK, Guffer won't be offended if you say it was him  ;D

No chance of me ever getting in one, though, clearly.. I think my realistic target weight is still about 110Kg! (~18st.. I know according to the charts I should be 10-12st but a) I'd look like I'd recently been released from a concentration camp at 10st and b) I just can't imagine ever being 12st, not without surgery, anyway!).

I'll have to stick to things with engines.

Incidentally - and a genuine question as I have no idea - do you need a PPL to fly gliders, or is there a specific unpowered-craft licence?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 November 2017, 09:45:47 »

What's the beeping?  :-\ The would drive me nuts!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 November 2017, 10:08:47 »

It's OK, Guffer won't be offended if you say it was him  ;D
Guess again. ;)
Incidentally - and a genuine question as I have no idea - do you need a PPL to fly gliders, or is there a specific unpowered-craft licence?

Historically, gliding has been self-regulating in the UK under the British Gliding Association so there has been no legal requirement to hold a licence. The BGA have a certificate that recognises various levels of competency and they issue instructors ratings and so on. Until about 10 years ago they also looked after aircraft registration and airworthiness.

Brussels decided it would be a great idea for EASA to take over the latter and, after a shedload of paperwork and expense, we stuck some letters on the sides of our gliders and carried on flying them just as we did before. ::)

EASA have now introduced pilot licensing, and there was to have been a deadline back in 2014, I believe, to convert your BGA certificate into a licence. That keeps getting kicked into the long grass. Current deadline is spring 2019, IIRC, but that is looking unlikely too. So, those who transitioned to a license have to pay a small fortune for regular medicals and other jumping through hoops, while the BGA set their medical requirements at the same level as the DVLA for a driving licence, so if you can drive, you can fly solo. There are advantages to having the license as it's recognised internationally to a greater extent. I'll get one when that matters to me. ::)

It's even more farcical because EASA can only force you to have a licence if you are flying an EASA aircraft, so, if you are flying a vintage glider, or something that didn't meet the requirements to be taken over by EASA, you won't ever need a licence to fly it. ::)

Part of the problem is that bureaucrats think an aircraft is an aircraft whereas gliding has always enjoyed, and relied upon, a few special dispensations that aren't obvious to someone who has never tried to fly one. Some of what I did in that video would be very naughty for a PPL holder, and rightly so!

What's the beeping?  :-\ The would drive me nuts!

Electronic variometer - so you know whether you're in rising or sinking air without having your head buried in the instrument panel. It's really not irritating at all, and you miss it when the batteries die!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 November 2017, 10:21:31 »

Thanks for the link Kevin.It seems the nearest to me is in Kirton Lindsey which is not many miles away at all,I'll have to look into this a bit deeper.110kg is what?about 17st in proper money?Anyway whatever I reckon I can sneak in under that as I've never weighed more than 10st 2lb in my life and a just turned 64 I still have a 28" waist 8)

They'll be needing to tie you down when out on the airfield to stop you blowing away, in that case. ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 03 November 2017, 10:28:25 »

Anyway whatever I reckon I can sneak in under that as I've never weighed more than 10st 2lb in my life and a just turned 64 I still have a 28" waist 8)

You can really go off someone, you know.  >:( ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 November 2017, 14:18:00 »

That bit of string is the most important instrument!  ....

why?  :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2017, 14:33:28 »

That bit of string is the most important instrument!  ....

why?  :-\

It indicates yaw - it tells you if the airflow is meeting the fuselage head-on or slightly offset. This is important because gliders generally have quite long wings and quite short fuselages. When you turn, you get more drag on one wing than the other, which, due to the large amount of leverage a long wing can exert, tends to yaw the fuselage, so you have to use rudder to counteract this, and the string tells you how well you're achieving that. If the fuselage is meeting the airflow slightly side-on, it obviously creates a lot of drag, and gliders are all about maximum efficiency.

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 November 2017, 16:23:09 »

That's an excellent vid. Nice and clear. Good job mate.

I've been up twice in a glider and enjoyed it immensely. The second time I went up with an ex-aerobatic champion.

I'd not previously realised you could loop a glider. But it seems you can.

A few years back I got the bug to get a pilot's licence of some kind and after lots of chats with a couple of pilots I know, I decided on gliding as it was cheaper and a different challenge.

Unfortunately, I then also decided to buy a classic muscle car and all my spare cash was converted very quickly into petrol and spare parts.

Never mind, one day I will take it up. Love flying.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 November 2017, 16:39:25 »

I've been up twice in a glider and enjoyed it immensely. The second time I went up with an ex-aerobatic champion.

A few years back I got the bug to get a pilot's licence of some kind and after lots of chats with a couple of pilots I know, I decided on gliding as it was cheaper and a different challenge.

Unfortunately, I then also decided to buy a classic muscle car and all my spare cash was converted very quickly into petrol and spare parts.

Ahh, I wonder who the aerobatic guy was and which airfield?

I do basic level aerobatics but only really often enough to stay current.

I fly at Lasham normally. Wondering if that's where you flew?

Strangechap

• Berkshire
    • Omega Elite 3.0 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 November 2017, 17:01:20 »

Ahh, I wonder who the aerobatic guy was and which airfield?

I do basic level aerobatics but only really often enough to stay current.

I fly at Lasham normally. Wondering if that's where you flew?

It was from Wycombe Air Park, and I can't recall the guy's name unfortunately.

He did a couple of Chandelle turns, then asked if I fancied experiencing a loop. He put the nose down to gain some airspeed, then over we went. Christ on a bike, though my stomach was going to fall out my *rse. Wonderful feeling!

Was a few years ago now and the only pics I have were on a film camera and none in the air unfortunately.

Reading this, I'm getting the urge to have another trial lesson just to get up in the air!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.