Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Paging Lizzie  (Read 4740 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Paging Lizzie
« Reply #30 on: 20 November 2017, 19:42:33 »

Apart from a very brief[one month and three new gearboxes]dalliance with a VdP 3 litre my dad always drove Super Snipes from the late '50s until '67 when production ended,they were fine cars indeed,the Imperial was a slightly posher version of the same car.I'd agree with Lizzie and go for Trafalgar.Last of the great fleet battles under sail-although there were other smaller scale battles after that.Collingwood breaking the combined fleets line first in Royal Sovereign.The last signal nelson caused to be hoisted aboard Victory[and was still flying until her masts came down being "Engage the enemy more closely"This whilst a lot of the ships were so close that the lower gunports could not be opened if shut nor closed if open.Must have been a magnificent if gruesome sight.

Vice Admiral Lord Collingwood took HMS Royal Soveriegn into the rear of the combined fleet line about (eye witness and official ship logs vary on this) 20 minutes before Nelson launched his attack with the heavy weights of his fleet on the head part of the Spanish and French line as that is where the French and Spanish Flagships were together. Indeed Nelson aimed to go to the aft of the latter, the Santissima Trindad, a 140 gun monster, but the combined fleet closed up at that point and instead went aft of the next in line, the Bucentaura, just 80 guns (compared to the Victory's 100).

What a sight indeed as the Royal Navy ship opened up there full broadsides as they crossed through the line! 8)
« Last Edit: 20 November 2017, 19:44:22 by Lizzie Zoom »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 November 2017, 19:47:03 »

In that link I posted of Hitlers pictures, there is one of a mechanic loading a camera on an A/C during WW11. It says underneath that he later accompanied the King as his drummer on his German tour! :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 November 2017, 20:03:20 »

In that link I posted of Hitlers pictures, there is one of a mechanic loading a camera on an A/C during WW11. It says underneath that he later accompanied the King as his drummer on his German tour! :y

Yes, not all Germans were committed Nazis, just young men fighting for God, Furher and Country.  As he became Elvis's drummer (in the USA??) I wonder if his photographic skills were used by the Americans? ;)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 November 2017, 20:57:20 »

Apart from a very brief[one month and three new gearboxes]dalliance with a VdP 3 litre my dad always drove Super Snipes from the late '50s until '67 when production ended,they were fine cars indeed,the Imperial was a slightly posher version of the same car.I'd agree with Lizzie and go for Trafalgar.Last of the great fleet battles under sail-although there were other smaller scale battles after that.Collingwood breaking the combined fleets line first in Royal Sovereign.The last signal nelson caused to be hoisted aboard Victory[and was still flying until her masts came down being "Engage the enemy more closely"This whilst a lot of the ships were so close that the lower gunports could not be opened if shut nor closed if open.Must have been a magnificent if gruesome sight.

Vice Admiral Lord Collingwood took HMS Royal Soveriegn into the rear of the combined fleet line about (eye witness and official ship logs vary on this) 20 minutes before Nelson launched his attack with the heavy weights of his fleet on the head part of the Spanish and French line as that is where the French and Spanish Flagships were together. Indeed Nelson aimed to go to the aft of the latter, the Santissima Trindad, a 140 gun monster, but the combined fleet closed up at that point and instead went aft of the next in line, the Bucentaura, just 80 guns (compared to the Victory's 100).

What a sight indeed as the Royal Navy ship opened up there full broadsides as they crossed through the line! 8)
Digressing slightly, was walking along the coast at Tynemouth when visiting my lad a few weeks ago and saw a massive statue to Collingwood on the headland overlooking the Tyne. Very impressive.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 November 2017, 22:07:41 »

Digressing slightly, was walking along the coast at Tynemouth when visiting my lad a few weeks ago and saw a massive statue to Collingwood on the headland overlooking the Tyne. Very impressive.

Yes, both him and Nelson lived in areas bordering the North Sea, namely Newcastle Upon Tyne and Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk respectively. :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.