Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Budget and Brexit  (Read 7341 times)

STEMO

Re: Budget and Brexit
« Reply #60 on: 29 November 2017, 18:36:53 »

I can’t see it, Albs. It’s a foreign country with different language, currency and laws.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 29 November 2017, 18:39:23 »

I can’t see it, Albs. It’s a foreign country with different language, currency and laws.
Like Scotland you mean...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 29 November 2017, 18:44:43 »

It doesn't really have a different language, but I agree its a foreign country and we should have a proper border between it and the UK. However, all the interested parties on all sides of the debate want it to be as close to borderless as possible, so it shouldnt be that difficult to work it out.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 29 November 2017, 18:53:04 »

I’m sure we’ll come to an agreement over money, but I just can’t see how we’re going to solve the Irish border problems.

It's obvious. Free and frictionless trade.  :y

Nobody can say what sort of controls are needed at the Irish border until we know what the terms of trade are. The EU and their puppets the Irish government's demand that the border is free and open, before the negotiations move on to trade is completely absurd!!  >:(

Unless of course they have no intention of entering into a comprehensive free trade agreement with the UK, once they've secured the cash, an open border with Ireland and continued jurisdiction of the ECJ! ::)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2017, 18:55:37 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #64 on: 29 November 2017, 19:14:37 »

I would like to see an open border but, come on, can we really say we can stop anyone who wants to get here from Europe from just walking in?

STEMO

« Reply #65 on: 29 November 2017, 19:15:38 »

Like Scotland you mean...  ::)
Since when was Scotland going to be a member of the EU?

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 29 November 2017, 19:37:13 »

The government is making a good percentage of the cash conditional on securing a trade deal. We are committed to pay until March 2019 when we leave and also through until 2020 where we agreed the budget until them and will part of a transitional deal. The transitional deal makes sense as long as it doesn't stop us negotiating free trade deals with the rest of the world that are either signed the day after the transitional deal ends or it is already signed and starts then. To me leaving the EU in March 2019 makes sense along with a transitional deal which finalizes many powers and administration which are going to return to us from the EU. This way we should minimise disruption to industry and avoid a short sharp nasty recession. What we need to see is a breakdown of the figures.

As I keep saying where the EU is a protectionist block, stopping cheap goods from the rest of the world, especially those with high import duties and quotas is the EU's problem. We can use pre-registration of goods, ANPR at the border for tracking and random inspections at a customs centre well away from the border for goods imported into NI. People from Europe using the border to enter the UK is a problem, but so is people smuggling through the Channel ports. Soft border or hard border is going to do little to stop farmer Patrick's thriving import-export business where his barn straddles the border. ::) ::) ::) This smuggling helps the peace process as troubles are bad for business. Anyway, the EU is well used to their very porous Eastern European borders with Russia, Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova, which are used to smuggle money, firearms, cheap counterfeit cigarettes and alcohol, drugs (especially heroin from Afghanistan) and young girils, as slaves, for the West's sex trade. :( :( :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 29 November 2017, 19:49:17 »

I would like to see an open border but, come on, can we really say we can stop anyone who wants to get here from Europe from just walking in?

Its inevitable in small numbers. If it became anything more than that the ROI authuorities would have to stop them before they got near the border, like the French should prevent them getting to Calais.
Personally I'm in favour of a hard border, but I imgine I'm in a small minority - as usual.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 30 November 2017, 00:31:41 »

ROI are not in the Schengen Zone. People from mainland Europe (whether EU citizens or from elsewhere) cannot get to Ireland without showing their identity card/passport when boarding the plane/ferry. The number of illegal immigrants into ROI will be vanishingly small, and really of no concern to HMG post BREXIT.

So that leaves people from EU countries traveling to ROI with the intention of then crossing into NI so they can then get a flight/ferry to mainland UK. Why on earth would they do that when there is almost certain to be visa free entry for EU tourists direct into the UK post Brexit anyway? If there isn't visa free entry into the UK for EU tourists, then there won't be visa free entry for UK tourists into Europe. Bognor and Brighton will get quite busy with displaced Brits who can't go to Benidorm for their summer hols.

If ROI were to join Schengen then there might be problems. So any free transit of people across the border has to be matched with a counter agreement that ROI won't join Schengen. Other than that it's all about trade.   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.