Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Desmond Suspension Part Question...  (Read 1254 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Desmond Suspension Part Question...
« on: 06 December 2017, 04:16:08 »

Compiling a list of parts for the Desmond, and it would seem that the front springs differ left to right... Left ones being 16mm longer...

Question is this...

Is the left spring only longer on lhd cars? If so, which length do I need? 370mm or 386mm :-\

My suspicion is that the epic has been sloppily translated as the engine is centrally mounted and the battery is compensated by the driver...
Onanists always think outside the box.

powerslinky

Re: Desmond Suspension Part Question...
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2017, 06:48:15 »

:-\
Do the spring lenghts differ on the spec sheet  & if so offered as left & right ?   

I had never even considered  any omega springs being handed  . . .  you buy a pair  & assume they are the same  . . .  :-\ :-\

Do the springs you have removed (if you have  removed them) have this length difference ?

I'm thinking more than likely that a previous owner has had a broken spring & only replaced one  ::)

Just my opinion though  :-\ :-\     interesting point though if there is  a 16mm difference  :-\
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 06:55:48 by Essex Big Al »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2017, 07:00:20 »

Compiling a list of parts for the Desmond, and it would seem that the front springs differ left to right... Left ones being 16mm longer...

Question is this...

Is the left spring only longer on lhd cars? If so, which length do I need? 370mm or 386mm :-\

My suspicion is that the epic has been sloppily translated as the engine is centrally mounted and the battery is compensated by the driver...

none of the three pairs of new springs I fitted last year were different lengths. Buy a pair and stop worrying.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2017, 07:20:14 »

No evidence of springs being previously replaced...

Atp list them as being sided, but don't specify the difference... the supplier I have in mind suggests that they are sided and that the left one is longer.

I will obviously buy a pair, but do I need 2 370mm or 2 386 mm, as that's a reasonable difference...

I plan to fit heavy duty springs to the rear, which suggests that a pair of the longer fronts is in order, if only to keep the car sitting level. Will be fitting with Sachs shocks all round fwiw.
Onanists always think outside the box.

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2017, 07:46:29 »

Looked into this a bit when doing the springs on mine. Omega A/Carlton springs are sided and this gets mis-carried over to Omega B on internet parts supplier catalogues. Some Omega B LHD springs are sided, I think V6s but not all of them, as there is a different distribution of stuff under the bonnet causing unequal weight balance with 1 occupant (normally the driver). All the RHD springs I could find were equal length at the front.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2017, 08:32:57 »

Mine were ATP, and marked as handed. I fitted them like that, but there was no noticeable difference between them. This was true for the other two pairs, but I didn't buy them.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2017, 10:41:46 »

I bought springs from AGP and they were listed and costed as L/H and R/H .

When I questioned this I was advised that the R/H side for UK or L/H for Europe was due to the extra weight likely as always would have a driver but not always a passenger..When they arrived the parts numbers on each were different ,and as advised earlier that is how Nick fitted them for me .

Unsure if fitting them the other way around would have been worse for the drive/handling.

Must say though with a full new front end suspension car is like on rails and goes exactly where it is pointed at almost any speed.Well worth the investment imho :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.