Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: They are indeed among us ......  (Read 2986 times)

Lincs Robert

They are indeed among us ......
« on: 16 December 2017, 17:49:45 »

Popped out with SWMBO earlier, it was about mid-day so called into a nice farm shop on the A17, near Optis place actually, to pick up a few bits & bobs. We decided to have lunch there.

It’s one of those places where you make a note of your table number, order & pay at the till & they bring the stuff over when it’s cooked.

I ordered a baguette, SWMBO wanting soup, I paid, collected cutlery & returned to the table, giving her a soup spoon and laying out my knife & fork in front of me.

A few mins later, a young lad appeared with a tray with our food on. He correctly spotted that SWMBO was having soup, which was politely placed in front of her. He then openly asked who was having the baguette. We thought he was joking at first, but no. He then asked her directly if she was having the baguette. Nice lad, just not very observant.

Still, no harm done, good food and service with a smile - ours.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: They are indeed among us ......
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2017, 17:57:43 »

Well, it is Lincs. His mum is probably his niece so he cant help it.  ;D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2017, 18:41:25 »

Perhaps the young man thought you looked more like a pint and pie man, and would never eat a rather delicate baguette? ::)  ;D ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2017, 18:41:42 »

Have a word with Lord Opti as the Farm Shop is probably on his estate!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2017, 18:49:54 »

Would you give a sh*t if you were on less than minimum wage? ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2017, 19:09:55 »

When you work in a service industry and are the public face of your company, your employer, facing customers you have to be as professional as expected no matter what you are being paid.  If you can't be, or don't want to be there, get another job. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2017, 19:15:56 »

..... get another job. ;)

Which is much easier said than done .....  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2017, 19:18:21 »

Not in the retail or other service industries.  If a youngster is prepared to start at the bottom to work up, the opportunities are constantly there. There are vacancies if you know we're to look, even for the older person. ;)

................and just to prove my point, at random I have looked on a site (amongst many) used in my old industry to recruit.  Look at the number of vacancies and this is just one route to find employment:
https://www.retailchoice.com/
 ;)
« Last Edit: 16 December 2017, 19:22:11 by Lizzie Zoom »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December 2017, 19:23:13 »

Not in the retail or other service industries.  If a youngster is prepared to start at the bottom to work up, the opportunities are constantly there. There are vacancies if you know we're to look, even for the older person. ;)

Maybe. It's been a while since I've needed to look  ...... & hopefully I'll not need to look again  ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December 2017, 20:26:11 »

................and just to prove my point, at random I have looked on a site (amongst many) used in my old industry to recruit.  Look at the number of vacancies and this is just one route to find employment:
 ;)

If I recall, the hospitality industry (Hotels, restaurants etc) have been doing most complaining about how Brexit will cause staff shortages.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December 2017, 20:33:32 »

;)

If I recall, the hospitality industry (Hotels, restaurants etc) have been doing most complaining about how Brexit will cause staff shortages.

Indeed they have. They are very worried about the effect, as are farmers, of so many Eastern Europeans not wanting to work in the UK anymore, and so many British workers turning up their noses to such work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December 2017, 20:49:21 »

I think we should have a 12 month work visa scheme, that with a employer sponsor can be extended to 24 months.  :)

The conditions of obtaining such a visa should be tough, ie proof of funds to support yourself, mandatory health insurance, age range between 18 and 25, no criminal record, proof that you have no pre-existing health condition like TB or HIV, minimum education levels/ good standard of English etc

The scheme should be open to youngsters worldwide and there should be a strict limit on the amount of visas granted each year.  I reckon like the US Green Card scheme it would be massively oversubscribed and they could be very choosy as to who they granted visas.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 December 2017, 20:55:06 »

An excellent idea - which our useless shower of politicians will never take up.  ::)
As for all these farmers etc. who claim they will be desperately short of workers. Who did these jobs up until 15 years ago.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 December 2017, 21:39:27 »

Worries from employers about jobs not being filled, to me, is just a remoaning smoke screen. If the jobs are there then legitimate migrants, as long as they have the relevant documentation, can and will fill them. When contract ends, return to their own country or go on to another contract in the UK, or even back to Europe. On a side note. walking around Newmarket today and certain areas are just hotbeds of litter and lager cans, mostly Polish. This desecration of our towns is probably one  reason older citizens voted to leave the EU.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 December 2017, 22:04:50 »

An excellent idea - which our useless shower of politicians will never take up.  ::)
As for all these farmers etc. who claim they will be desperately short of workers. Who did these jobs up until 15 years ago.  ::)
English people for more money ::)

How else do think that prices are pretty much frozen year on year...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2017, 09:00:23 »

English people for more money ::)

How else do think that prices are pretty much frozen year on year...

You must shop at different shops to me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2017, 09:53:08 »

You are only going to progress if you always try your best.  Plus it becomes a life skill and second nature.

Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2017, 13:39:47 »

Amen to that, TB - I couldn't agree more. The snowflakes think the world owes them a living and they don't have to try.

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2017, 13:59:19 »

Popped out with SWMBO earlier, it was about mid-day so called into a nice farm shop on the A17, near Optis place actually, to pick up a few bits & bobs. We decided to have lunch there.

It’s one of those places where you make a note of your table number, order & pay at the till & they bring the stuff over when it’s cooked.

I ordered a baguette, SWMBO wanting soup, I paid, collected cutlery & returned to the table, giving her a soup spoon and laying out my knife & fork in front of me.

A few mins later, a young lad appeared with a tray with our food on. He correctly spotted that SWMBO was having soup, which was politely placed in front of her. He then openly asked who was having the baguette. We thought he was joking at first, but no. He then asked her directly if she was having the baguette. Nice lad, just not very observant.

Still, no harm done, good food and service with a smile - ours.

I think the young lad now works in the Swindon Outlet Village.
I went into a coffee shop and asked him, as he was standing there with a tray,
'Is it waiter Service?
'Are you waiting to be served?'
'No, what I asked was 'IS IT WAITER SERVICE?'
'Yes, and I'll bring your coffee to you.'
I sat down and noticed someone at the counter paying and collecting a table flag, so I go to counter, order, pay and collect flag.
When dipstick brings my order, he said' I didn't understand the question'! ??? :-X

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2017, 18:19:51 »

I have in the past when asking for a cheeseburger been asked in return if I'd like cheese on it :o

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2017, 19:39:19 »

No surprise there, Baza; all that indicates is that the intellectually-challenged youth didn't listen to you and replied on autopilot.
God help us if they could actually think for themselves!  ::)

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2017, 20:54:46 »

All generations have their geniuses and imbeciles, their go-getting hard-workers and layabouts and their smart and dumb. If you are looking for mostly the former, look where the well paid jobs are and for mostly the latter minimum wage jobs and benefits queues. Combinations fall somewhere in the middle.

In the US Trump's clampdown on migrant and seasonal workers means that farmers are embracing automation. UK farmers need to do the same, where they will be facing ever increasing competition from lower cost producers from March 2019. The French with CAP have made sure that agricultural protectionism is the EU's no 1 job and have massively delayed or scuppered several WTO rounds of negotiation as a result. :( With the EU exporting $47bn of agricultural goods to us, which can be replaced from cheaper sources in the rest of the world. The EU commission needs to be careful with what they wish for from the #Brexit negotiations. ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.