Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are sprung hose clips GM patented?  (Read 3921 times)

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
Re: Are sprung hose clips GM patented?
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2017, 08:13:02 »

Agree, with the right tools they are fine, so long as you can get the tool onto the ends. I always thought that jubilee clips should not be used on fuel lines and that the proper fuel lines clamps like this

https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/mini-screw-w1/410-7-9mm-mini-screw-clamp-zinc-plated-5060537084114.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-6ryo2T2AIVdijTCh3i3QCUEAQYAyABEgJVwfD_BwE

were the right thing.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2017, 08:29:17 »

Years ago I was advised on this forum not to use jubilee clips on heater bypass valves, lest I crack the plastic pipes.

'dangle berries'!

You must have a spare HBV somewhere; try it and see. You'll either give up, or strip the worm on the clip before that happens.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2017, 09:57:02 »

Agree, with the right tools they are fine, so long as you can get the tool onto the ends. I always thought that jubilee clips should not be used on fuel lines and that the proper fuel lines clamps like this

https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/mini-screw-w1/410-7-9mm-mini-screw-clamp-zinc-plated-5060537084114.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm-6ryo2T2AIVdijTCh3i3QCUEAQYAyABEgJVwfD_BwE

were the right thing.
Yes, I can see that would do the job. I didn't see any of those in Halfords either. That would overcome the crumpling effect of an overtightened jubilee clip, but not the long term deformation of the rubber and consequent relaxation of the seal with time.
As stated in opening thread, this Omega, the rust free gem you sold me, had the irritating fault of starting hesitantly, unlike every other Omega I have ever owned. I long sought the cause. Suspecting the fuel pump I removed it, and found to my surprise its connections were not spring clips but jubilee clips. Clearly the pump had been changed in the past. I replaced the pump using one spring clip and a new jubilee clip. After some months the fault has reappeared. My new theory is that a jubilee clip is now allowing a tiny leak somewhere, releasing the pressure in the fuel line. In fact there are 3 jubilee clips in the system, 1 on the fuel hose to the chamber cap and 2 on the hoses to the engine. I shall change all 3.
Of course it could be a leak elsewhere.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2017, 10:32:37 »

The sprung clip is far superior in every respect than any jubilee clip, including decent ones.

The bloody things are the devils work!  >:(

I'm with Nick on this!  :y
But you are incorrect.

The idea is to be able to correctly secure hoses, always with a constant, even pressure, no matter if they are hot/cold/whatever.

With the correct tools they are easy, fast and foolproof.  Even without the right tools, they are still easy, fast and foolproof.
This is exactly the point. Spring loaded hose clips do the job perfectly, but to remove and replace easily you need the proper tool, not a handy pair of mole grips or long nosed pliers.

I only ever use mole grips., works great.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2017, 12:06:48 »

I only ever use mole grips., works great.

+1.

They are great for the size of hose and barb they are designed to fit and I don't think I've ever had a problem with such a connection leaking unless the hose end was knackered anyway. This is more than can be said with jubilee clips where there's a fine line between it not being tight enough to seal, and being so tight that it nips the hose and causes a leak.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2017, 17:14:09 »

I use water pump pliers, easier than mole grips  ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2017, 17:16:42 »

Long thin nosed mole grips .They can be adjusted to the compression of the tangs and when the clip is fully open they can be locked off making it easy to move the clip up and down the pipe.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2017, 19:34:58 »

This ^  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 December 2017, 19:42:37 »

I've never had a problem [unless they've rusted]with Jubilee clips but then again I've never had a problem with the sprung type clips either so I just re-use whatever's there in the first place.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 December 2017, 19:43:33 »

I too use molegrips/pliers/whatever is nearest.  I did have one of those flexible tools for hard to reach ones, but never replaced it after it was lost in the garage incident.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 December 2017, 19:46:34 »

Years ago I was advised on this forum not to use jubilee clips on heater bypass valves, lest I crack the plastic pipes.

'dangle berries'!

You must have a spare HBV somewhere; try it and see. You'll either give up, or strip the worm on the clip before that happens.
And when it heats up and expands slightly.... ;).  Even if, at best, it stretches the non standard fixing slightly, that will reduce risk of weeps/leaks when it cools.

And why mess around with the wrong clip when the correct clips are fairly readily available, fast, reliable and easy?
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 18 December 2017, 19:50:07 »

Looks like I’m wrong then........again.  ;D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2017, 21:15:24 »

The sprung clip is far superior in every respect than any jubilee clip, including decent ones.

I used to be a Manufacturing Engineer for garrett turbos (honeywell engine boosting) in Skem, we fitted 1000's of these every week.

In term of design efficiency you have one part instead of what 3 parts ? 

And in terms of speed of fitting and control on an assembly line - fast and no need for a torque spanner.

£££££££ saved daily. 
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.