Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How many cars have you owned so far.  (Read 4292 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: How many cars have you owned so far.
« Reply #30 on: 02 January 2018, 16:26:43 »

5. Tend to buy at about a year old and keep until major components are failing, it has got too unreliable, or tin worm is winning.

I expect the Omega's demise will be due to unreliability. :(

Yep, me too, although one of those is the Westfield, which I'll be keeping.
But it is Triggers Broom ;D

Is it still the original chassis? I know the first time it was sent off to be straightened, can't remember if it was damaged 2nd time, or if that was just bits bolted onto it that got disturbed...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2018, 16:28:15 »

Which presents a question, if the chassis (as the car actually has a defined chassis) is replaced, does it get a new registration plate?

I know that's not really a question for most cars, as the chassis is too integral to be replaced.
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 January 2018, 16:36:41 »

Which presents a question, if the chassis (as the car actually has a defined chassis) is replaced, does it get a new registration plate?

I know that's not really a question for most cars, as the chassis is too integral to be replaced.

No it doesn't cos you wouldn't tell anyone  ;) Youre allowed to replace major parts of cars but different bits get differing points ...... https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 02 January 2018, 16:55:38 »

But it is Triggers Broom ;D

Is it still the original chassis? I know the first time it was sent off to be straightened, can't remember if it was damaged 2nd time, or if that was just bits bolted onto it that got disturbed...

:o

and

Mostly. Front section of chassis has been "freshened" a little. ::)

If you surrender your damaged chassis Westfield will sell you a new one bearing the same identity so no, you don't have to go through the whole IVA and registration ballache again. Which is good, because the DVLA and VOSA are each in isolation about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, but, when you have to get them to co-operate... >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 02 January 2018, 16:57:02 »

No it doesn't cos you wouldn't tell anyone  ;) Youre allowed to replace major parts of cars but different bits get differing points ...... https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/radically-altered-vehicles
Link says to keep original reg, must be original chassis.  However, KW's Westfield is already Q plated I believe, so the rules look to change. Clear as mud though.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 02 January 2018, 17:08:06 »

Link says to keep original reg, must be original chassis.  However, KW's Westfield is already Q plated I believe, so the rules look to change. Clear as mud though.

.. but you can have a "new and unmodified" chassis / bodyshell. In any case, that's for RAVs which would be things like hearse conversions.

With a kit you can keep the old registration if you have 8 or more points from the original vehicle (i.e. most of it bolted to a kit car chassis), you can have a new registration if the major components are new or "refurbished to an as-new standard" or you get a Q plate by default or if the parts are of indeterminate age. I was offered a new plate by the DVLA bloke because he reckoned I'd refurbed everything to an as-new standard but I declined because I'd have to suffer tedious things like emissions tests then. ;)

But, in all of the above cases you'd need an IVA to re-register it. Replacing the chassis with new and NOT changing the VIN means it "never happened", so you don't. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02 January 2018, 17:11:47 »

Perfect clarification :y

Obviously, yours has never had any "action", so nothing to see here, move along ;D
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 02 January 2018, 22:16:25 »

Perfect clarification :y

Obviously, yours has never had any "action", so nothing to see here, move along ;D

Exactly. :-X
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.