Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic gasket ring and small bag got sucked into oil pump!! I feel stupid!  (Read 3328 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile

Shame!  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

It probably got stuck in the oil cooler or oil cooler pipes, would have been easy to get to in reality (If memory serves me correctly the oil cooler is post the filter)

The filter is post the pump so it wont be in the pump.

TestOmega

• Mississauga, Canada
  • Been helped, will help.
    • View Profile

Since I need a basic drive around and I have been familiar with the Catera/Omega B for the past twelve years; I looked around for a used vehicle like the one that died.

I had a bit of luck in acquiring one today. It is the 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport model. It has only 101,000 Km versus the one I killled with 253,000 Km on it. So basically I am back on with "Catera/Omeg B" setup. Hopefully I will not create more mistakes like the last one. What a way to learn!  But I suppose cars do eventually die due to poor service, nature or servicing mistakes. So not bad for me to  carry a Cadillac Catera from 64,000 (km) at purchase to the eventual 253,000 Km.

I will be scarpping the dead Catera over the next 4-6 weeks and scavenge it for some parts and spares before I let go. My thoughts are to keep some good sensors, relays, ECU, valve covers, coil packs, breather and associated assmebly, timing cover, emission pump and associated steel piping used on cold starts, cooling fans, brand new Battery, door electronic controls, and some other little things. I cannot keep any big parts as the house garage is already pretty cluttered.

Dr. Gollum I thank you for suggesting and searching for possible solutions.  Same for other great members on this forum. However, I am becoming little older and have been really trying to make do with highly unprofessional rinky/dinky quality tools versus what I do believe some of the senior members on this forum have access to.

Going forward any suggestions regarding the following;

- The working car I have now (2001 Cadillac Catera Sports) is using fully synthetic oil per th elast owner. Any good recommendations if I should be using fully synthetic 0W40 or any other grade Synthetic.
- Any specific areas for care and cleaning that I should watch for beyond oil changes and air filters for my working Catera.
- I got only one Key and one FOB opener with the replacement Catera; how can create a second spear Fob and key economically?
- Any ideas on which part(s) I should try to keep for spare from the dead Catera before getting rid of it for scrapping.

Thank you all.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2018, 04:23:56 by TestOmega »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  May I be blessed to give more than I receive  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

- The working car I have now (2001 Cadillac Catera Sports) is using fully synthetic oil per th elast owner. Any good recommendations if I should be using fully synthetic 0W40 or any other grade Synthetic.

I would say, given your climate, a decent quality 0W30 or 0W40 synthetic oil would be a good idea. 10W40 semi synth is a common recommendation in the UK but we don't know the meaning of "cold start". ;)
No need to pay a premium for "boutique" oil, though.
Regular changes are a good idea. I'm not sure what change intervals were specified in Canada, but, with synthetic oil, I'd be changing it every 6-8k miles here rather than the comedy 20,000 mile interval specified by GM.

- Any specific areas for care and cleaning that I should watch for beyond oil changes and air filters for my working Catera.

The crankcase breather system has a tendency to block, so it is important that this is checked with every oil change, especially in cold weather.
Scuttle drain, of course.
Rear wheel arches and the seal by the back doors always seems to attract crud like a magnet. I'm sure you know most of this already!

- I got only one Key and one FOB opener with the replacement Catera; how can create a second spear Fob and key economically?

If you keep the fobs and immobiliser chips from your old car, you could probably have them programmed to your new one if they are the same type, then just get a new key blank cut. This is where distance is an issue, as there are several of us with Tech2s in the UK who could do this cheaply.

- Any ideas on which part(s) I should try to keep for spare from the dead Catera before getting rid of it for scrapping.

This is where you need your crystal ball. ;) You can guarantee that anything you throw away will fail on your new car the next week.  :D

Glad to hear that you've remained an OmegaCateraowner and I hope your new steed serves you well.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.