Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Liver function test results  (Read 1424 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Liver function test results
« on: 19 January 2018, 13:00:38 »

For ages I’ve been complaining of pain on the right side of my torso coming and going, in addition to fatigue and stomach problems.

I saw the doctor who sent me for an ultrasound of my liver and abdomen. This came back normal.
He examined me and said he could feel no enlargement.

The symptoms have persisted, and last week I underwent a blood test with full liver function tests in addition.

The results have come back as “normal”, but, a couple of the levels are towards the upper end of said thresholds.

The two I think are of concern are

Serum ALT level 28 u/l (range is 10-35)

alanine transaminase (ALT), an enzyme that is produced and used inside liver cells. If the liver is under stress, levels of ALT present in blood can start to rise.

ALT is an enzyme that is mostly produced by liver cells and therefore it is a good marker of liver disease. When ALT levels rise, it is usually a clear sign that the liver cells are showing signs of damage.

One of the biggest causes of raised ALT levels is fat in the liver, usually caused by drinking too much alcohol too frequently”

gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase - 47 U/L (range is 12-64)

GGT test measures the amount of the enzyme GGT in your blood. Enzymes are molecules that are necessary for chemical reactions in your body. GGT functions in the body as a transport molecule, helping to move other molecules around the body. It plays a significant role in helping the liver metabolize drugs and other toxins.

GGT is concentrated in the liver, but it’s also present in the gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, and kidneys. GGT blood levels are usually high when the liver is damaged.

And finally, bilirubin levels - 16 umol/L (range 0-21)

When the liver is badly damaged by high intake of alcohol, it becomes swollen. This swelling blocks the removal of bilirubin, and bilirubin levels then rise in the blood. A raised bilirubin level indicates serious long term damage to your liver

I don’t consider myself a big drinker but accept I drink more than the couple of units the government say I should per day.

I’d take those results as “normal” for an overweight bloke in his 50s, but for a slim early 30s guy I don’t like them at all, and I’m thinking I will go tee-total, and have a retest in three months.

Maybe there is some sense in the government guidelines after all!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Liver function test results
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2018, 13:35:41 »

All the drugs etc from your treatment will be stress testing your entire system anyway, regardless of alcohol intake... Obviously mixing the two is asking for trouble.

Also don't forget that given the physical pounding of the accident, that your nerves and muscles will never quite be the same...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2018, 14:11:27 »

All three tests are perfectly satisfactory.

I'm not quite sure what your concern is.

I recently had a 'top of the range' blood test where over eighty 'functions' were tested. About forty were in the middle of the normal range, twenty at the top of the normal range. Another twenty were batshit high or abnormally low.

The doctor seemed unconcerned. We all have to die of something. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2018, 14:23:15 »

James......I'll see if I can find the results of my liver function tests. That should put your mind at ease. ;)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2018, 14:48:45 »

Exactly as DG said... Medication and pain relief will have an impact too ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2018, 14:59:13 »

I suggest you also look at your diet in terms of your intake of sugar, processed carbohydrates (rather than whole grain) and fat as these can all have an effect on your liver. Many people are thin on the outside but fat on the inside (tofi) with fatty livers due to a poor diet.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2018, 20:18:24 »

I suggest you also look at your diet in terms of your intake of sugar, processed carbohydrates (rather than whole grain) and fat as these can all have an effect on your liver. Many people are thin on the outside but fat on the inside (tofi) with fatty livers due to a poor diet.

Nearly all I eat is home cooked, low in salt, fat, sugar. Cooking from scratch is a hobby :y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2018, 22:16:39 »

All perfectly normal James, upper range / lower range makes diddly squat difference as long as it's in range, if it makes you feel more comfortable I have seen a GGT of 18000 and an ALT of 1200 and the person lived

Flu and the like can send an LFT skewiffy
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.