Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Charity Dinners  (Read 10756 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Charity Dinners
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2018, 20:33:21 »

I am going to be a lone woman making a comment on this subject and already feeling intimidated by the rather sexist, male chauvinist, attitudes.

Let's start with the facts. This was meant to be a high powered, charity event by the Presidents Club involving the great, the very wealthy and powerful captains of the commercial world and society generally, at a top London hotel.  It was not a rugby club do where the testorone usually flows and little is out of bounds.

No, this event was being held involving those who are meant to be leaders and should be setting a good example. They failed dismally to do that, with the first mistake being wives / partners / girlfriends were not invited. The men then degraded themselves, and even made some of their members feel very uncomfortable. It all became a big pole dancing sex club do, with stupid, yes, stupid men who cannot control their sexual drive in a respectable manner ( that they would do if the loves of their lives had been there!!) touching up the hostesses who were there to deliver drinks to the tables. Once more, many of these men are meant to be responsible, up standing, leaders who (should be) treating woman with respect and politeness, not mauling them like on heat beasts.

Of course organisations like a children's hospital will not want any funds raised from such a disgraceful do, which has even caused the closure of the Presidents Club.  Thank God many men in that organisation are not all sex fiends and recognise how bad it all became.  They have done the honourable thing, but of course there will be many other males who will defend what happened.

One day they will wake up to the fact we are all in the 21st century and women are now to be respected with rights equal to men and not treated as sex toys! >:(

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2018, 20:47:12 »

The day is fast coming when all of us men will have to have compulsory slow release bromide implants.....   :-X

And there will be female SWAT teams patrolling everywhere, ready to eliminate any man with so much as twinkle in his eye!  :P  ::)  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2018, 21:01:47 »

I can see both sides of the argument. For me the question is, did the women go there knowing what was likely to happen ,and were they ok with that ? If the answer is yes, then they are basically, more or less,  hookers and that's their choice, so no reason for anyone to complain on their behalf.
If the answer is no, then Lizzie is right.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 January 2018, 21:11:12 »

The hostesses were told to wear short black skirts, black underwear, black nail varnish and black 'sexy' shoes.  They would have known it was an all male event and they were told they were allowed to have a drink.  They also had to sign a 5 page non disclosure agreement.   :-X

The ones who were upset are either extremely naive, terminally stupid or both.  ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 January 2018, 21:21:32 »

Lizzie, "calm down, dear"!

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 January 2018, 22:29:12 »

My original point seems to have been completely lost here in discussing the specific circumstances of that specific event, and of course the motives of the journalist. My point related to the general culture that seems to abound in "charity" and "sports" dinners and boozy lunches. And please don't misunderstand, I enjoy them, most of the time.

However, I have heard comedians come out with jokes and comments that I would be arrested for if I said them in a public place. Lewd remarks regarding the barmaids "assets" and all she's doing is her work. Racial comments that could certainly result in prosecution, and regarding homophobic comments who's to say that the guy sitting on the next seat isn't "closet". I know gay people and would be very upset if I caused distress to them, please remember Alan Turing, one of the unsung heroes of WWII.

Yes of course we are all He Men and don't give an Effff about PCness. And yes of course PCness often goes overboard, in fact all too often. But those who ignore what is "reasonably" acceptable and what is not, are destined for the dinosaur dustbin. The problem of course, is that many would be actually very proud of that fact.

I repeat my earlier opinion. Surely it must be possible to raise cash and have a good time, without upsetting people.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 January 2018, 22:36:38 »

My original point seems to have been completely lost here in discussing the specific circumstances of that specific event, and of course the motives of the journalist. My point related to the general culture that seems to abound in "charity" and "sports" dinners and boozy lunches. And please don't misunderstand, I enjoy them, most of the time.

However, I have heard comedians come out with jokes and comments that I would be arrested for if I said them in a public place. Lewd remarks regarding the barmaids "assets" and all she's doing is her work. Racial comments that could certainly result in prosecution, and regarding homophobic comments who's to say that the guy sitting on the next seat isn't "closet". I know gay people and would be very upset if I caused distress to them, please remember Alan Turing, one of the unsung heroes of WWII.

Yes of course we are all He Men and don't give an Effff about PCness. And yes of course PCness often goes overboard, in fact all too often. But those who ignore what is "reasonably" acceptable and what is not, are destined for the dinosaur dustbin. The problem of course, is that many would be actually very proud of that fact.

I repeat my earlier opinion. Surely it must be possible to raise cash and have a good time, without upsetting people.

Yes It must cetainly be possible to achieve this, but how do we know what`s occuring behind the scenes at the church bizarre  ???

To be totally honest   :) it`s quite refreshing to know; that no matter how much you got tucked way in the bank A Jolly boys night out with yer mates can always descend into the depths of depravity. :y

powerslinky

« Reply #22 on: 24 January 2018, 22:39:39 »

Interesting point raised by SWMBO on this  . . .would anything at all been reported IF this was reverse gender function where women were being served drinks etc. by bare chested male waiters ?  :-\

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 January 2018, 22:50:28 »

Interesting point raised by SWMBO on this  . . .would anything at all been reported IF this was reverse gender function where women were being served drinks etc. by bare chested male waiters ?  :-\

But if she was at such an event, would she even tell you about it ? Not sure mine would tell me  ;D

But again, it was not this particular event that was my point

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2018, 01:37:21 »

Having heard discussions or been told what has gone on at hen parties, especially with male strippers they can be every bit as bad or worse than men at stag events. If this is what floats people's boats and all parties are consensual then as far as I'm concerned providing it doesn't get too depraved and break laws then that is up to all concerned. ::) ::) ::)

What wouldn't be acceptable would be behaving the same at a public social event that outraged public decency or a private event behind closed doors that involved anybody under age or hadn't previously given their consent and know what to expect. :( :( :(

What concerns me these days is MSM sensationalism (especially the BBC) to make money and raise their public profiles to sell more news and people looking for their 5 seconds of fame in 280 characters on Sh*tter or Arsebook. Currently keeping things in proportion, common sense and basic decency seem to have gone out of the window in society. >:( >:( >:( Add on to this people being manipulated by the hard-left and hard-right where they are promoting their agendas along with active measure by state actors especially in Russia, China, North Korea, Iran and ISIS where they are actively seeking to destabilize, disrupt and manipulate the West, so as a result we have an ever increasingly toxic, intolerant, reactionary society. >:( >:( >:(

Currently Russia is by far the best with these active measures and are currently spending an estimated $12bn per year. This includes RT, Sputnik, office blocks of Trolls in St Petersburg, about 20,000 amplification websites in the US alone, 50,000 bots on Twitter where you can see daily the fake news #tags they are promoting at any particular time. They are being very successful where the majority of people are duped into believing the narrative or propaganda. I have deliberately followed at times some bots on Twitter to see them at work and too understand their modus operandi. There are now on the Internet several guides on how you can tell fake accounts and fake news tracking websites. A useful thing to always do when looking at images of people and those on 'news sources' is to right click on the image and select for Google to search for the image as it reveals who they are pretending to be or the story they are trying to portray. You often find other people's images are being used or old and unrelated pictures in a story, but it fits the theme and outrage that they are trying to portray. >:( >:( >:(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #25 on: 25 January 2018, 08:24:05 »

Sells papers, and something to discuss on chat shows, be something else today .

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 January 2018, 08:37:58 »

Sells papers, and something to discuss on chat shows, be something else today .

It's Burns Night today, so there will be lots of Scots wittering on, and bagpipes getting on your nerves.
The charity drivel will continue tomorrow.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 January 2018, 09:12:28 »

The hostesses were told to wear short black skirts, black underwear, black nail varnish and black 'sexy' shoes.  They would have known it was an all male event and they were told they were allowed to have a drink.  They also had to sign a 5 page non disclosure agreement.   :-X

The ones who were upset are either extremely naive, terminally stupid or both.  ::)

No, they were young women who were hired to serve at a charity function in a first class London hotel, and no doubt thought the dress code was a bit of fun, and would have appealed to their natural desire to be attractive. This should not have been a green flag to men to touch them up and generally fondle them. That was not in the contract and should not have happened. Why should it?  Just because men want a bit of sexual fantasy does not mean they have the moral or legal right to treat these young women, who must be protected in society, as prostitues; there to satisfy men's sexual desires.  That is why we strive to improve modern society, and take away the risks to vulnerable young women, who could be your daughter, or propably due to the age of most members on the OOF, your Grandaughter .  Are you all telling me, a mature and worldly experienced mother, grandmother, let alone women who takes no none sense from anyone, that you don't want your loved one to be protected in society?

These young women are, by nature of their gender and age, highly vulnerable and even need to be protected from themselves. With any vulnerable young men I hope they are also protected from this type of "occasion", but it is a fact, unlike women, they are due to their gender and age often more inclined towards sexual adventure than women of that age who know they risk pregnancy. That is the natural state, and that is why society protects women more. ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 January 2018, 10:09:40 »

The 2 things that's pissing me off about this Lizzie is:-

Firstly, the portrayal that these woman are young and vulnerable.  I used to work for a company that provided support services to Formula One and Moto GP and so got to know a few of the promo girls.  This sort of work is a kind of 'circuit' and many of the girls go from job to next and are constantly networking for the next job.  In many cases they get very well paid and looked after and as one said to me " I won't look like this forever " They trade on their looks and personality and believe me the majority can look after themselves! My younger randier self found that out a few times!  ::)  ;D  I'm not saying it's OK for men to cop a feel of these girls just that the majority would have gone into that event with open eyes.  ;)

Secondly, the media are trying to tell us that ALL of the men were behaving badly, which I'm sure is complete nonsense. The Guardian has even published a list of well known men that attended FFS, which has to be walking a fine legal line?  One account in the BBC said that some of the women were seen going up in the lifts with the men, not some men, the men! For sure when you mix a bunch of guys, alcohol and beautiful young women, one or two will get a bit over excited and I'm equally sure that a few of the girls got a bit over excited in the company of wealthy powerful men!  ::)  It happens, it's human nature....

People are very quick to jump on the outrage bus today, often without knowing the true facts of a story and I fear for the direction that society is going, as we seem to be heading for a new age of the puritans.  :(

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 25 January 2018, 10:22:56 »

as we seem to be heading for a new age of the puritans.  :(

Maybe they'll all charter a boat (the Mayflower, perhaps) and head for America?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.