Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega diesels and the future...  (Read 3479 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Omega diesels and the future...
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2018, 22:31:15 »

Owned both the 2.5s... diesel and petrol

Personal experience says I got the pair to do 'about' the same mpg... though in reality of course the V6 gets driven with a lighter right foot, the Turbo Weasel you could drive with the throttle either 'on' or 'off' and really hammer it round town without hurting the wallet as much.

Definite 'punch' of torque as to be expected with diesels (and turbo's cars in general) versus the petrol's more progressive, but relentless acceleration. Seemed the TD was constantly running out of steam (again, as with Diesels you have a narrow power/torque band)

Then again, there's a bit less maintenance on the Derv. If the TD is an AK47, the V6 is a Birmingham-made shotgun.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2018, 23:55:05 »

Gorden Brown honestly believed the diesel engine was a greener option for everyone  :)

Apparently he got the inspiration to award tax breaks for diesels following a long train journey

https://youtu.be/m8HGtibUMCc?t=39s

The above statement is utter bollix  ;D  but I`m a fan of the class 37  :y
« Last Edit: 15 February 2018, 00:09:09 by 78bex »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2018, 10:15:30 »

That appears to have been fitted with a TheBoy patented "binary throttle". ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2018, 10:28:25 »

I particularly like the foot high flames :o 8)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2018, 11:16:56 »

Gorden Brown honestly believed the diesel engine was a greener option for everyone  :)

Apparently he got the inspiration to award tax breaks for diesels following a long train journey

You get what you measure, the targets were based on CO2 emissions and nothing else hence diesels perform better on that level, consider particulates and NOx and they are worse.....until you get to Euro 6 standards where the CO2 is half, the particulates all but zero and the NOx roughly the same.

So the tax on new diesels is a farce....as they are equal to (and better on the CO2 score) than the modern petrol.....but our leaders like a bandwagon.

You have my commiserations on being a tractor fan  ;D :D ;) :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2018, 11:26:44 »

You get what you measure, the targets were based on CO2 emissions and nothing else hence diesels perform better on that level, consider particulates and NOx and they are worse.....until you get to Euro 6 standards where the CO2 is half, the particulates all but zero and the NOx roughly the same. *

So the tax on new diesels is a farce....as they are equal to (and better on the CO2 score) than the modern petrol.....but our leaders like a bandwagon.

You have my commiserations on being a tractor fan  ;D :D ;) :y

* - When tested using the "right EU test cycle" and while all the emission controls are still working (which might not be long on the average chelsea tractor on the school run).  ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2018, 11:32:35 »

The SCR process seems pretty effective and consistent on the diesels is good IF the car is not used repeatedly for short journeys (the cat has to be hot to work).

Like you say, not so effective on the school run but, the petrol equivalent also suffers with emission failures under the same scenario.

But, if you have a modern diesel for short journeys then it wont last long anyway  ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2018, 11:42:40 »

Yep. Maybe one day the car industry marketeers will embrace the elephant in the room and confess that you actually need one type of car for the school run, another for the commute, and yet another for long journeys, especially if you have a pikey van. ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2018, 11:43:35 »

Oh, and another to have any kind of fun in, until it becomes illegal.... ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2018, 18:12:26 »

Owned both the 2.5s... diesel and petrol

Personal experience says I got the pair to do 'about' the same mpg... though in reality of course the V6 gets driven with a lighter right foot, the Turbo Weasel you could drive with the throttle either 'on' or 'off' and really hammer it round town without hurting the wallet as much.

Definite 'punch' of torque as to be expected with diesels (and turbo's cars in general) versus the petrol's more progressive, but relentless acceleration. Seemed the TD was constantly running out of steam (again, as with Diesels you have a narrow power/torque band)

Then again, there's a bit less maintenance on the Derv. If the TD is an AK47, the V6 is a Birmingham-made shotgun.  :)
There is a simple cure for a TD's lack of progress. It has about 32 pins, and will break the AR25 within miles ;)

My old tractor was a hoot, though, and I do miss it.  I don't miss the constant rear tyre replacements though ::)
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2018, 20:32:43 »

;Di If i coould find  a decent condition TD Estate ::) with not to much rust would buy it tomorrow, they will outlast petrol with regular servicing and a few upgrades to suspension engine etc all easily carried out,
My old one is still running around abroad,cracking cars  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.