Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Non-Starting Elite Estate  (Read 5635 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Starting Elite Estate
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2018, 14:51:02 »

Might be worth checking the resistance of the crank sensor. It should be 600-1000 Ohms. This is between pin 1 and 2 of the connector. Pin 3 should be open circuit (it's a screen).

If that looks  OK try waggling the wire to see if it's intermittent

You should also see the same resistance between pins 59 and 10 at the ECU connector with the crank sensor plugged in - just in case there's a problem in the loom between engine and ECU.

You can also check the output with an oscilloscope while cranking.

But - neither 2nd hand crank sensors nor pattern ones are a great idea. I appreciate you'll be trying to get this mobile on a tight budget, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. At least the above will give you some confidence that you won't be wasting your money.

I'd also be checking the +12V feed to the two coil packs with ignition on (pin 2 - black and red wire).

In addition, swap the engine management main relay if you have a spare (purple one next to the fuel pump relay - the one furthest from the wing).
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2018, 15:36:27 »

Ron, you told me what happens in Witham stays in Witham.  >:(       ;D
Yours was weird. I have never experienced a crank sensor bolt done up so tight. I had doubts I was going to be able to undo it, but we got there in the end.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2018, 16:52:03 »

I suppose I was lucky when I swapped the second hand one that had been rattling around the boot of the 3.2 for months into the 2.5 and it started first time and still does..

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2018, 17:46:25 »

I suppose I was lucky when I swapped the second hand one that had been rattling around the boot of the 3.2 for months into the 2.5 and it started first time and still does..
Could be. I bought a cheap crank sensor for my 2.5 off e-bay for £20. I read the forum guide on 2.5 crank sensors
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=96562.0
was so worried I bought a new Siemens crank sensor from a Vauxhall dealer and fitted that. It failed within 4 weeks, so I refitted the original £20 sensor and it has not failed yet.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2018, 18:15:38 »

Ron, you told me what happens in Witham stays in Witham.  >:(       ;D
Yours was weird. I have never experienced a crank sensor bolt done up so tight. I had doubts I was going to be able to undo it, but we got there in the end.

As any good (bad?) politician might say, I have no recollection of making such a statement; however, if I have inadvertantly breached National Security, you have my total and abject apology.

Ron.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2018, 13:01:11 »

Hi James. You appear to have done all the obvious things and were brave to take this car on. You clearly had sparks for 2 days.
I trust the new crank sensor is fully home. It beats me how you installed it from above.

Other thoughts:
cam sensor?
immobiliser: have you tried the spare key? I have known loss of transponder;
ECU failure; you could substitute known good one as suggested;
poor connection or broken wire;
LPG kit problem.

I wish you the best of luck. If anyone can crack it, you can.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2018, 16:17:30 »

We never got to the bottom of Tony H's 2.5 non starter, only thing I've seen since was someone on her who found a bit of corrosion on the ECU plugs, bit of a scrub with contact cleaner restored normal service

Are these now getting to an age where things that weren't a problem are showing themselves I wonder, aged electrics and all that ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 February 2018, 17:08:25 »

James...I am so sorry to hear that the car is not starting.
A year (or so) I posted on here that the car did not start, James came over, done all the checks, and put on a new (cheap) CS which was purchased just for test purposes, to be replaced at a later date at my leisure. Car started first time and ran fine from then on. However one day the EM light came on (for milli seconds) went off and car continued to run ok. Took the car over to TB who took it for a gentle  ::) tootle around Brackley. It ran fine and probably had a good de-coke !!
I had intended to take it to Dorset, but changed my mind and used the saloon. When we got back, (month and a half later) it did not start and I wore the battery down a bit (but not anywhere near flat). So I took the battery off, gave it a full charge, put it on...car started first go. Been out in it and using it with no problems. But because of the non start, I bought a CS from Steve (OSP).
After the drama of the 2.5 breaking down, and my depressed state of mind, I sat indoors and said...That's it, both estates are to be scrapped. Changed my mind on the 2.6, as to my knowledge, there was nothing wrong with it, so offered it on here. James jumped in, took it, and as he said the next day..' That goes really well, doesn't it.'
The Battery has never been charged on the car, and previously it had never let me down, until the time James fitted the new CS, and it started first time.

That is the history prior to James picking the car up :y

PS....if you give up and scrap it...I got £189 for the 2.5 estate !!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2018, 17:13:08 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 February 2018, 17:18:13 »

Took the car over to TB who took it for a gentle  ::) tootle around Brackley. It ran fine and probably had a good de-coke !!
Ah, its that one, is it, I remember it, and the nervous passenger ::)

IIRC, weren't we slightly concerned MAF might be suspect (or was that somebody elses car  :-\)

JV6CDX - if the MAF has sent the trims way off, you should be able to tell with most code readers. If you haven't got a live data capable reader, put a fault on the car (unplug multiram - turn ign on), then remove fault and use a OBDII reader to clear codes - that will also reset trims.  If that then starts, keep eye on MAF and trims.
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2018, 19:35:39 »

Yes TB, it was that one...you were playing with the maf, and said it was a little under powered ???  :y

Oh yes...nervous passenger. When I got home I was not allowed indoors for half an hour until the smell of sh*te had disappeared !!!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2018, 19:37:24 »

Oh yes...nervous passenger. When I got home I was not allowed indoors for half an hour until the smell of sh*te had disappeared !!!  ;D
And to think, I didn't even use Cruise Control...   ...not that it ever works on your cars ::)
Grumpy old man

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 February 2018, 19:46:41 »

And to think, I didn't even use Cruise Control...   ...not that it ever works on your cars ::)

Off topic....but oooooooh, that was a bit below the belt !! :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 28 February 2018, 13:16:23 »

But - neither 2nd hand crank sensors nor pattern ones are a great idea. I appreciate you'll be trying to get this mobile on a tight budget, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet. At least the above will give you some confidence that you won't be wasting your money.

Thanks Kevin :y

The replacement sensor came with the car, so it was just a case of "nothing to lose" by plugging it in.
I wouldn't buy used :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 28 February 2018, 13:18:44 »

Terbs!!

I am over the moon with the car, and bought it knowing the issue was there ;) this isn't a complaint in any way, shape, of form, just a technical discussion on what the problem might be :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 28 February 2018, 14:40:26 »

Off topic....but oooooooh, that was a bit below the belt !! :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry, Tony. I'm already downloading Mazda handbooks "just in case"... ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.