Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browser Issues  (Read 771 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Browser Issues
« on: 01 March 2018, 20:10:24 »

Where I run all of my PCs 24/365 for reliability including my laptop, I've been having problems with the Windows 7 laptop where it grinds to a halt with continuous disc swapping after about 3 days of running and use. It has a passable 4GB of memory. I have been running the Windows resource monitor for the last week and have found the culprit is Google Chrome which had earlier 8 tabs open two with small PDFs and six other tabs with with websites, none of them running any advertising which rules out crash flash issues. I am running no browser extensions so that can be ruled out. After a fresh reboot the system and other applications I've got running are using 1.1GB of memory and when launched with 6 tabs open Google Chrome was using an additional 1.3GB. When the system grinds to a halt with continuous disc swapping it was using ~8GB so some of the additional 4GB was being continuously swapped from the HDD. Closing Google Chrome mean't as the system sorted itself out the memory usage dropped back to 1.1GB, so that is the culprit. >:( >:( >:(

Now I'm looking for a decent default browser to replace Chrome. My name is not Max Mosley, which immediately rules out any Microsh*t shite, Firefox is not RFC standards compliant in significant areas, so is ruled out, so what are RFC standards compliant alternative browsers that don't have major 24/365 running issues. Anybody any suggestions?
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Issues
« Reply #1 on: 01 March 2018, 20:52:25 »

Im not going to bash on about how bad Chrome can be, but if you dont want to go down the MS Route for browsing and need something thats Chrome based try UC Browser, its faster takes less resources and has some interesting features.

I use UC Browser for Media Downloads as it has some good Download Management options and Download recovery for large files. I been using UC on Symbian and Android for years with good results and decided to try their newer PC version and I prefer it a lot more over Chrome when Im not using Edge..

http://www.ucweb.com/desktop/

« Last Edit: 01 March 2018, 20:57:00 by zirk »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 March 2018, 21:27:00 »

Im not going to bash on about how bad Chrome can be, but if you dont want to go down the MS Route for browsing and need something thats Chrome based try UC Browser, its faster takes less resources and has some interesting features.

I use UC Browser for Media Downloads as it has some good Download Management options and Download recovery for large files. I been using UC on Symbian and Android for years with good results and decided to try their newer PC version and I prefer it a lot more over Chrome when Im not using Edge..

http://www.ucweb.com/desktop/

Not that i know sod all about computing stuff :-[ but isn,t this owned by Alibaba which is Chinese.? My point is that how safe are we from surveillance or am i being paranoid? :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2018, 18:31:34 »

Realistically, under Windows, your options are FF or MS browsers.

You'd be soft in the head to use Chrome under Windows (and if you insist on doing so, FFS, run as a limited user).

Safari leads to too many blended security flaws, so don't bother.

Opera, due to the way its designed to work, has too many compatibility issues.

So, unless you want to try the niche ones, that leaves you with little choice for Windows users.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.